Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No spark from coil, no start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., May 4, 2018.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"I told you so" is considered bad luck, so if I warn you ahead of time again that doesn't count right?

Is this one of those blue cover regulator jobbies seen everywhere? Maybe it will work for a while, but that's not the way to bet. Good used or NOS is the only way to go if you insist on running a generator. The idea here too is to not roast your brand new generator, if it isn't already.

It's the generator that is polarized not the regulator, just for information sake. Contrary to popular lore Polarizing is not necessary, for example, if the battery is replaced or simply disconnected, or even if the regulator itself is replaced.

Replacing brushes, or anytime generator is disassembled and re-installed etc, that's different. If it has sat for a long, long time. Or dropped. Since the generator is polarized from the regulator itself that's probably the source of the confusion. Motoring the generator accomplishes the same thing btw.

2. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Oh ok, thank you.

I'm not sure yet as to the regulator the one I pulled off the truck has a black cover/casing. I assume the new one should be the same.

So I powered up the generator by using jumper from the positive side of battery to the post and negative side of batt to ground /stud hole on gen, and it spun up all the way and then touched the positive side to the other post on gen and it stopped it as supposed to.

Hope that's the correct thing I'm supposed to do, if not I'm sure you'll tell Me I'm a bone head lol

Anyway thank you

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Truck64 likes this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The problem ain't you, it's the quality of reproduction replacement parts available today. You bought a voltmeter too right?? No way around this. Don't make it any more complicated than it already is.

4. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Yeah, they make cheap reproduction crap today, as when years/decades back they made QUALITY parts that lasted.

Anyway, I tested everything multiple times and the system is charging and working properly again.
    (Or so it seemed at the time.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Truck64 likes this.
  5. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Well , s***!

I got the generator and the regulator all setup and after jump starting the last couple days, still hasn't charged the battery it's self enough to not have to jump start.

The regulator was polarized as instructions suggested, generator was setup correctly and test light shows a good output to charge the battery even at idle speed.

So now what?!! Grrr
    Not happy!!

Or am I jumping the gun and expecting it to charge too quickly?

I dkn.....

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Charge battery using external charger to 100%, this will take hours or overnight at a slow rate if it's dead, as is likely. This is always good practice even if using an alternator. The charging system isn't designed to charge dead batteries, believe it or not.

Need a voltmeter to do any sort of troubleshooting of a charging system.

Mister E. likes this.
  7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

On another note, pulled gas tank and patched a leak I found.. Let it set a couple hours as JB weld instructed and filled it with water to check for any more leakage. So far all is well and sealed.

Also fixed My gas gauge and got it working.

So fixed 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  8. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, still having issue of these old split ring rims. I can not find anyone to work on them locally.
    I have seen other postings of people swapping out to comparable sized solid / straight (whichever is accurate) rims and keeping the same size.
    What is the comparable size to Mine?
    7.00 - 18" "dually"
    I am going to keep My original rims for restore at later time, however I need updated rims to drive on now.
    Thank you in advance

9. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

What happens if you disconnect the wires on gas tank (fuel gauge) and reconnect them , but can't remember how they go?

Would that cause fuel not to travel to fuel pump / engine?

I've tried pouring gas in carb, it'll run til that gas is gone then dies.

Just trying to figure out what's going on and why no start and run..

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

No, you do not have an electric fuel pump on that truck. Take the inlet off at the fuel pump, and stick it in a container with some gas in it. Take the line to the carb off and stick it in an empty container. Crank engine and see if it is pumping gas into the container.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On your wheels, have you tried a place that services tires on heavy equipment?

12. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

No, I havent found a heavy equipment place around here yet.

13. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I will try that and see what happens.

I did pull the line off the fuel pump last night, and cranked it over using fuel I poured in carb,
    saw nothing and line is dry

14. czuch likes this.
  15. You might try Brillman Company for all of your electrical parts needs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You either have a bad pump, a restricted fuel line, dirty tank or filter in the tank or an air leak making the pump suck air. Good luck:), Gary

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you want to keep those wheels, you are going to have to go to a truck stop, or a place that services large tires to get them done. Big O and Walmart, nor most any other tire store is going to touch them.

Mister E. likes this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I was in a rush and forgot to connect the fuel line all the way.
    It started and drove down the road fine.

Now I'm back to no charge to battery even though the regulator and generator are putting out current still no juice after only 30 min drive. .

Going to auto store to buy a tester and see what is going on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  19. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I know of one place back in Zoocity, Mt. where I can get them service without issue.

If I need to ship them, I very well may do just that.
    I would like to update the wheels to current times for daily use, however I need to know what size to get that will fit with clearance and no obstacles.

I have heard either
    Or 22.5 will fit but I don't know about what the width of the wheels need to be to fit My truck properly.

I like the sound of the 20" and I am sure they make an 8 lug in each size. I am listening and open to suggesrions of anyone who may know.
    Thanks all

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Take your tape measure and measure your tires height and width. Then do the same on some dual wheel trucks and cube vans. I am sure you can find units that will work.

21. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thanks, the only issue I have come across is that My wheels are 5.5 width, which works perfectly, and all modern wheels seem to be 6.5 width.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Personally, I would find a set of 16 inchers and run those. That is what the 3600's came with, and 17.5's were optional. I would think the 16's would be the easiest to find, and Ford and Dodge will go on there also. Glad you got your fuel delivery issue sorted out, sounds like it was an easy fix ;) Now get the charging system figured out. Just curious, have you tried a different battery?

23. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Yes 2 different batteries same effect. Pulled neg battery terminal and died immediately.

It started right after replaced old gen and voltage regulator.
    My wheels are 18's. And My truck is not a 3600, it is a 3800 1 ton.
    16's will not fit over My drums front or rear.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This is the reason that the automakers switched to alternators. Generators are just too much of a hassle to keep working. You will have to learn to work on them or find someone who knows how. Most of the people who know them are retired. 1960 was about the time the switch to alternators was made. Generators and starters kept some shops in business but there are fewer around every year. The large scale chain stores can get them rebuilt cheaper and many of the local rebuilders don't install or service them on the vehicle. There are some stubborn people who still use them but they seldom work on others vehicle. A shop with mechanics that were born 20 years after generators were no longer used in vehicles aren't likely to have seen one, let alone worked on them.

Truckdoctor Andy and Mister E. like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh, I thought it was a 3600, my bad.

Mister E. likes this.
  26. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

No worries. I've had to remind a couple others that it's a 3800 1 ton and not a 3/4 already lol

27. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I am thinking that I will swap out to an alternator soon. As the generator and voltage regulator are seeming to be more work than they're worth.

They work intermittently at best. Sometimes I have lights, turn signals & horn, and other times nothing!

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Did you ever get a voltmeter?

29. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Voltmeter shows current as 10.51 max output on top post of regulator and 14.0? on middle post, and battery is also 10.51 max.

Generator was pushing somewhere between 8. And 9.??

But they keep fluctuating up and down.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  30. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Not to ask a same question but, I am now down to no driveable tires on the truck at all as they are all down to the white threads and I am in need of dually wheels that will replace these split rings as soon as possible.

I have tried google but the only search results I am coming up with are 6.5 width and I have been seeing a lot of posts where folks have gone with 19.5's.. So I guess that is what I will do as well. As long as I can find dual rims that work.
    Any help is very much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance.