Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Indy Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff J, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Jeff J

Jeff J

Went to the world of Wheels show and saw this really one of a kind charger set up that is pretty rare unit ! indy 107.JPG indy 105.JPG indy 102.JPG indy 103.JPG indy 104.JPG indy 107.JPG indy 105.JPG indy 102.JPG indy 103.JPG indy 104.JPG indy 107.JPG indy 105.JPG indy 102.JPG indy 103.JPG indy 104.JPG indy 107.JPG indy 105.JPG indy 102.JPG

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I saw them advertised a lot. 50-60 years ago. Never actually saw one in use.

egads likes this.
  3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its different! sure would like to drive it once.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm not real crazy about those upper shock absorber mounts or the driver side brake hose rubbing on the hairpin.

Kodak Jack likes this.

5. kewl car, but i hope he changes the fuel pressure regulator, those are known to leak.

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

the car belongs to my good friend MercDeuceMan on here - he is the show chairman of Indy World of Wheels - he has many super cars and all are HAMB friendly - his son is VonDust, wife is
    RoundAboutSue - all are members of the Indy Road Rockets

7. Any rubbing of the front lines on the hairpins is a photo illusion, but thanks for the observation.

As for fuel leaks at the regulator, that is an inherit risk that you have with any multiple carb set up and fuel regulator that I am willing to accept.

I perform a comprehensive pre-flight check on each of my cars everytime before I take them out on the road. That's what we do in aviation. Rarely do I find anything that needs attention. But that is part of owning a reliable Custom or Hotrod.

The front shock mounts have been that way for 64 years and haven't broken yet driving on our midwestern roads, so I expect they will last me the rest of my lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads, patmanta, tierod and 5 others like this.
  8. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Beautiful hot rod!

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is a good looking car. I am trying to figure out the supercharger drive. Ok, got it, electric. My eyes are not what they used to be. I thought for a minute it may have had a distributor drive.

10. catdad49

catdad49

MDM, clean little roadster! Did you do a "road test" on this set -up? Sure is Interesting, remember pics/video or it didn't happen.

11. Not sure what the front shock issue is, they look good to me. Nice Hot Rod.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Great looking setup. My only question is where do you put in the oil?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a question, how does an electric supercharger work? Is the electric motor only engaged when the throttle is on the floor? Maybe a switch under the gas pedal? Have you tried it out? How does it seem performance wise??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta likes this.
  14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

Pre KITT turbo boost?

16. A Boner

A Boner

Those 4 Orange Model A roadsters sure look similar!

17. Jeff J

Jeff J

Sorry just the camera angle, as I'm not a good photo genetic person!

18. I'll try and answer as many of these questions as I can:

You add oil thru the PCV opening mounted in the right valve cover.

A monetary push button switch mounted to the right of the steering colunm activates the blower on demand while under full throttle. If you recall Mark, you were fondling this thing in my swap space up at the Ducktail swap meet 7-8 years ago.

I have not used the blower, there is no pop-off valve and the carbs aren't nearly big enough in CFM to make the blower function properly. I've only seen three of these and this is the only one that I know of that is on a car and running.. It is a low grade sand casting and I don't expect it would take much of a hard backfire or over pressurization to bust the plenum

When I had the unit all apart to get it powder coated I bench tested the electric motor head on the table before mounting it. It moves some air but not nearly enough to make the difference they claim it will make.

19. You can see the push button in this picture 20150604_160658~2.jpeg 20150604_160658~2.jpeg

Kodak Jack and Moriarity like this.
  20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I guess I didn't realize you had a 49-50 Ford dash in that car.

21. Yeah, the car was first built in 1955.
    At the show last weekend it sat next to my buddy's red 31 roadster. It was built in 1959.
    Those two cars represented over 124 years of hotrod heritage in Indianapolis.

Kodak Jack, catdad49, rooman and 3 others like this.