Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Abandoned vehicle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saenz60, Feb 8, 2019.

1. belair

belair

Bonded title is probably the quickest, safest way to go. In Texas, there is supposedly a process you can go through involving sending a registered letter to the owner of record, asking for the title. If the letter comes back as undeliverable, you go see a judge with the registered letter, and you usually wind up with a title in a few weeks. But check out that info.

RMONTY and oliver westlund like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And on and on it goes, guys freom all over the country who have no idea whatsoever what the law is in the state pf Texas, much less be an attorney with real knowledge of how to handle this.
    If the truck isn't worth the cost of consulting an attorney, why bother? Unless of course, you just want it off your property, which I imagine you could call the city or county, as the case may be, and they can take care of it.

3. RusTnut

RusTnut
    from MN-FL

Not that easy unless that item was under contract for storage. Abandoned vehicles on private land is a legal mess in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. adam401

adam401

Id push that bitch out onto the street and let the town deal with. Problem solved

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's something you want getting possesion shouldn't be too difficult. You're entitled to storage fees either daily, weekly or monthly. Get a shyster and file the needed paper, you'll have to put up 'X' amount of public notices, then have an auction. Of course you'll have to let the owner of said vehicle know as well. Your storage fees will far outweigh anyone's desire to own it having been there for so long, and it's likely nobody will outbid your storage fees let alone even show up. Take your paper to the DMV and get your title.

Now, you may even get the title from the owner since it's clear there's no interest on her part for the ol thing. When's the last time you spoke to them? Still have contact info? Possible they just sign it over to you. Think positive;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

A title service is the way to go. They typically know the in's and out's of the DMV. The price may seem a little high initially, but you'll probably be way ahead in the long run when accounting for hassle and time off work. Going to the DMV will probably open a huge can of worms.

7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

the fella who commented before you is from texas? no offense but you sound like a guy whos never done this before? state to state the concept is the same..... DONT ASK THE DMV FOR HELP. why the heck would he hire an attorney for a title? unless he hates money haha. this is a common problem, easily solvable if you look into it as many have demonstrated even several with knowledge of texas rules. just sayin...like mama says if you dont have somethin nice to say...

8. You can ask the DMV for help, as long as you do some homework ahead of time. Not all DMV offices are the same. The local one in my small town is one of those that will tell you all the reasons you can't get what you want. Drive 15 miles to another small town, the local office is owned by a guy in a car club, and they'll tell what it will take to do what you want... big difference.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did a lien sale on two cars that were left at my place by the owner. here in California there are services that will do it for you and make it all official. took the paperwork down to the DMV and got titles. easy squeezy.

chryslerfan55 and BigDogSS like this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As did I in MI 49'fink. The shyster filed the paper, notified the owner and posted the auction notices for $200. I got the 56 Chevy HT title the day of the no-show auction. Homeowners (artisans) have very similar rights to licensed shops. But hey, get the state and sheriff's office involved and watch them come and take it away. At least it'll be off the property. No, I'm not a lawyer, just able to pick up a law book in the public library when needed so I know what I want done beforehand. I know, too easy...

chryslerfan55 and dirty old man like this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here in Wyoming there is a bonded title process that is posted on the Wyo DMV website. All of the steps are listed in the order needed. I see Texas has a similar process. In my state, it can be hard to claim storage fees if you are not a business with a license, but anyone can apply for a bonded title.

12. 48ford

48ford

Your in Texas, go get a bonded title

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump. So there has been a car parked in front of my house, on the public street, for some days now. Registration expired last year. Wouldn't mind having it if it's being abandoned. From reading this thread it sounds like I would have to have it legally towed and try to buy it then, paying the towing, storage fees etc?

14. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hellfish has this completely correct. In Texas you cannot arbitrarily set a fee for storage without an agreement between the two party's. If the car has been setting for as long as you say, the owner would have had to agree to what ever charge at the time the car was put there.

H380 likes this.
  15. clem

clem

I’m intrigued by the fact that for 5 years, then 10 years, you haven’t done anything about this.
    Did you just mow around it all this time?
    How does one let something like this not get sorted out 15 years ago ?

16. chopped

chopped

Whenever an Op leaves us hanging they should be banned for life.

dirty old man, Hombre and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. clem

clem

12 posts since 2006, he should be back sometime..............
    Possibly that answers my post above, - he must be busy.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I thought I was the world's champion procrastinator, but apparently I'm wrong.:)

clem likes this.
  19. Dave, It appears we could learn something from the original OP. :rolleyes:

Patiently Waiting. HRP

slow-internet-connection.jpg

20. I am not up on Texas Law but in good ol' Missouri you would put a mechanics lean against it. 15 year even at 100 dollars a month storage fee (most places around here charge in the 7-15 dollar a day range for storage) would make your bill in the $18,000.00 range. Missouri will issue you a title with a mechanics lean.

21. I don’t mean to be rude HRP, but you look a little pale.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app