Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. I always learn so much on your threads. I like to wait until you're done. Front row, middle chair, shiny apple. That's me.

Always read like a black and white picture book, with far from pixelated mid century color centerfolds. That car is beautiful. Un-uglied factual.

Thanks for sharing all of this. You're an old soul ruler. I love it.

509garyd, cactus1 and Chris like this.
  2. Thank you, that is what I was going for!

3. Not really sure what that means, but thanks!

4. The best way to un-ugly a 1946 Ford is to park it next to a 1946 Dodge (Sorry Dodge fans, I couldn't resist!).
    Dodge46Custom2Dclubcoupe1.jpg

King ford and cptn60 like this.
  5. Geesh this thread hasn’t had any update in nearly 2 years! I still have the 46, and it still has the tired flathead in it :D kids and life have put projects like the engine swap on hold. I even thought about selling the car a time or two, and finding something a little more family friendly (50’s Ford station wagon)...but I still want to complete my vision and do some sort of bitchin road trip in this ol buggy once it has some pep.

B6847634-2815-4C8D-B790-F97F60E38A93.jpeg 2DD07CB5-E03A-4185-A489-A9C58930C989.jpeg 18CB61D3-0098-457A-84AE-05F6FC117427.jpeg 1F7680BD-45DB-4782-9A7F-FEF14403C09F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just found this thread and like everyone else, mi am impressed. You've done a terrific job on this car. Have you shown it to the guy you bought it from?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I’m surprised you haven’t tripped over a few new barn finds since then...car looks great

loudbang likes this.
  8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

hey! you built my car!! haha just kidding sorta...i took screenshots of the first 5 pages of pics of this build. you did a LOT of the things i have planned for mine including the falfa skull.... black, white interior, just so so cool! mines a 47 but dang! your thread justified so many decisions i have been on the fence about, i love it!! also...a chrome dash? what are you? the coolest guy ever? i have never seen one in a 46-48 and i actually had to go look at my freshly painted black dash and shake my head a few times...so friggin cool!

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Outstanding! Any photos of door seal locations and orientations? BTW, here's mine:) IMG_20190121_165308_767.jpg

brad2v, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Very nice!

loudbang likes this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

The gloss looks great.....hope you are starting a trend with the cut and buff!

jimgoetz and loudbang like this.
  12. The door seals just go around the perimeter of the door, and the body has a seal across the bottom of the door jam. I can get some pictures if you need

509garyd, Greaser Bob and loudbang like this.
  13. I've had a few cars since this 46, I am always dragging something home :/

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. No, and there is really nothing he would recognize, aside from some of the trim still shaved.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, upgrading the drive train would be a real plus - but, then you might never move on to the needed wagon

loudbang likes this.
  16. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Not to hijack this thread, but here is the hot rod that made me realize I like shiny paint jobs way more than flat paint jobs. El Bombero here on the H.A.M.B., cut and buffed his HotRod Flatz paint job. Here are the before and after pics.

Stogy, exterminator, jimgoetz and 7 others like this.
  17. That is true. The wife is the one pushing for the wagon...room for everyone, even the dog. But man, the wagons I like, I may as well be searching 2 door hardtops for the kind of cash they pull. If the right wagon popped up for the right price, I would think about it. But nothing I am actively seeking to do. In all honesty the amount of time we spend in an old car as a family, makes having an old "family car" hardly worth it. I'd rather have a car I like and enjoy driving alone, or with the whole gang.

USMercUte and 48fordnut like this.
  18. cederholm

cederholm

Holy crap! ...that's beautiful!

~ Carl

19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Great car Chris. I love the interior. I need those interior pillar lights for my coupe. And thanks for the garnish mouldings and vent wing mechanisms. On the lookout for short door garnish mouldings up front. with crank windows or standard windows.

Chris likes this.
  20. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Man that would be fantastic when and if you get a chance! I have new ones that came with the car but just want to be sure or it's location.
    Thanks!

21. Woodie wagon.....:D

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You Sir...have a way with all that comes your way...In Forgotten and Out Revitalized and Happy...

Always a pleasure opening your threads @Chris

jimgoetz and 509garyd like this.
  23. If a mid to late 50's Ford 4 door wagon is outta budget....a woodie is outta sight!

24. Haha, thanks? I just do what I think is cool?

Stogy likes this.
  25. I got a line on 4 shoebox woodies....

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chris and Irish Mike like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,

Your project is looking rather nice. It seems like it is getting to the point of what your goal was when you bought it. Just the transformation of what you have done is pretty cool. If this is the look you were trying to get, it is a job well done. As long as it is running, you/your family is having fun with it, there is no need to press on until you feel it is time.

It has the look of the classic coupes during our time in early 1960-65. If we could go back to those times, we all would have seen a 46 Ford Coupe painted a bright purple with white tuck and roll upholstery. Your coupe with the white upholstery sitting with a certain amount of sunlight, lights up the headliner and the rest of the interior.

It must be the style of the tall coupe. That was one thing our friend’s purple 46 had going for it when it was sitting on a drive-in restaurant lot or at school. The sun just made enough light to make that white tuck and roll stand out. Even the drive-in parking lot lights at night, made the contrast brighter for everyone's approval.

upload_2019-2-16_5-3-18.png upload_2019-2-16_5-3-32.png
    Jnaki

As far as the Flathead is concerned, as long as it runs well, keep it going until you finish the 283. If and when it is ready to install, now you can decide what you want to do to continue. Enjoy what you have or upgrade for more power. For me, your present look is a great example of what cars looked like in our teenage years. (1957-63) My 40 Ford Sedan Delivery originally had a 348, but I could not afford the asking price. When we made the deal, the owner installed a stock Fathead that ran like a top.

We put on 1000s of miles all up and down the coast seeking empty waves and beaches. At the time, my only wish was a little more power to get up those steep grades on the major highways along the coast. I actually liked the Flathead. Knowing that if I needed more power for some drag racing escapades, my trusty 58 Impala with the 348 was sitting at home in the garage.

brad2v, LBCD, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  27. Thank you Jnaki,
    The coupe did indeed turn out how I wanted. Truth be told, I have always wanted a 40 Ford coupe done this same way- nice paint, full tuck and roll and tons of chrome. This car being a 46, will never be as sexy as a 40 coupe...especially beings it is a club coupe. But- it was a fraction of the cost of a 40, It is a very nice solid car and the full back seat makes it family friendly. I am far too young to have experienced the late 50's/early 60's, but that is the exact era I was trying to nail. It is my favorite era in general, especially hotrods. And looking in old magazines, there sure were a lot of these late 40's Ford coupes either mild or wild.

The 283 is all done, just needing the block machined. The power pack heads are done and I have all the parts to put it together. My dad is a machinist (kind of retired now), and he and my mom moved to a new house a couple years back and all his tooling was put into storage. I am just kind of waiting for him to get his new shop up and running, which is very soon. And although pretty tired, the flathead does run and makes around town trips no problem. So I am in no hurry. My kids are young enough they are still in car seats, and the car seats don't really fit into early cars anyways...they barely fit into the full size pickup I drive everyday.

I do want to eventually put the Chev into this car. I would imagine thousands and thousands of early Fords got Chevs installed in that time period with the Ford trans and rear end. I want to experience that with this car. I want to go to 1962 if that makes sense.

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i know a fella with 2 woodys for sale a 46 ford woody and a 47 Plymouth woody, theyre cheap!

509garyd likes this.
  29. I'll have to double check, but I may still have a set of short door garnish moldings with vent windows, left over from building my 46 short door custom I used to have.

30. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

That would be great 46fatford. You can private message me. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app