Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford's Revenge For All Those 350 SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Feb 13, 2019.

1. We've got to spread the love around so that's why we have all those 350 SBC in Fords and then all the 8" Ford rear axles in the Chevies. Nature loves a balance. :rolleyes:

Well, it seems I'm considering this particular Chevy truck with a Ford axle described as a 280:1 "Single Track". I assume that means it's an open diff, no anti-slip (true?) But I haven't been able to confirm that searching online. Also, I find lots of mentions of a 279 ratio but hardly anything about a 280. So has somebody just rounded up or is there such a beast?

Please jump in with opinions on the ratio. I am inexperienced with anything that high (or that low numerically). I won't be racing but I also won't be long tripping but maybe once a year, so figure mostly around town.
    panel-truck-64.jpg

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

My 8" out of a Maverick was a 2.79. One wheel peel. Now a 3.80 2 stripe.
    Really depends on a lot of things. My t coupe weighs about 2600. Tires are 28" tall. I have a 700 r4 trans with a 350 SBC. Pretty standard stuff. With the 2.79 gears, you could not get it into 4th gear 'til about 50 mph. I drove it in 3rd all the time except on highways. It worked pretty well. Then I put the 3.80's in it. I really like the ratio even on the interstates. Just put it 4th and leave it.
    Try the Wallace Racing Calculators. They have a good one for choosing gear ratios.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    The Shift Wizard likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like somebody just rounded up, 2.79 was a common 8" and 9" ratio. Had several of them, not a performance ratio, just a good daily driver type. Never seen a Ford Trac- Loc on less than a 3.55 from the factory, although it probably was an option, I've never ran into one.

4. partssaloon

partssaloon

I have a 2:75 in my 48. That is a great hiway gear but it is a slug around town. So IMO if you are mostly around town you won't be happy with it.

irishsteve and The Shift Wizard like this.

5. I think Ford 'rounded' the numbers to differentiate between the 8" and the 9".

And I've seen a trac-loc in a 3.25 rear, it all depends on how the car was optioned.

6. F&J

F&J

I used a 65 Mustang 8" rear in my 32 Nash that has the low horse stock engine but needed a better gear than the former stock Nash rear with 4.78.

So I ordered a "3.80" R&P set on ebay and when it arrived, it was marked Richmond on the box and also marked as"3.80". It's in the car so I can't give the teeth counts. I forgot what they were.

7. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I believe there is a difference between a 2.79 and a 2.80 gear. My '65 Mustang originally had a 2.80 gear, but I replaced the third member with a later one (from a '68, I believe) that had a 2.79 gear (my original ring gear had a chipped tooth). I just did a little quick research, and from what I can find (it's been a long time, like 20 years, since I swapped gears in that car), the 2.79 has 39/14 teeth, and the 2.80 has 42/15. Who knows why they changed?...Ford often did things like that. :)

The Shift Wizard and F&J like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, there is a 8" 2:79 & a 2:80 gear ratio - importance is when applied to motor & transmission being used / height of rear tires / how vehicle will be used - had a OT '66 Ford Fairlane GT with mild upgraded 390/close ratio 4 speed/2:79 stock factory 9" rear - a slug from a dead stop - at 70mph would down shift into 2nd and it would fly - loved to be at 80mph and more - yes, needed lower rear gear trac-lock

9. You guys are super with the great answers. I was going to mention the truck has the 350/3-speed trans in my opening post, but it slipped my mind.
    I don't know what bolt pattern is on the axles, studs, and wheels, so............ If I want to keep everything same-same, can I simply pop in an anti-slip with a different ratio into the shell of the diff? Or are we talking more parts than that?

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, Fords are easy. Drop the chunk and replace it. All 8” and a lot of 9’ are all the same 28 spline axles. You can buy a complete chunk with ratio of your choice and Traclok ready to install about as cheap as buying the gears and tracloc separate. Poor mans quick change, lol!

11. 3.00 was what I was going to run behind the TOD and flat head....

12. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '66 Mustang came with an 2.80 rear end in it originally; they were matched to automatic trannys

13. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Having a SBC in your Ford in the 50s was like having a dropped axle in the 40s. It was the thing! If you are old enough you know what I mean. The golden age.

14. Dirk35

Dirk35

I put a 9" under both my '34 Ford Sedan with 3.50 Gear ratio (SBC/Turbo 350) and my '49 For PU (390 FE/C6) with 3.25 gear ratio. One was a Speedway Third Member, one was a Currie Third Member, don't remember which is which.

After driving them both, I wish I would have went with the 3:70 Gear Ratio for the '34, and I should've put a 3.50 in the '49.

The size of the tires really makes the difference.

15. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

350, 4 speed, 3:00 ration, 8 inch, big tires perfect!