Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carburetor problem - 351 Cleveland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 12, 2019.

1. I have a 4 barrel carburetor on the 351 Cleveland that is in my '50 Ford Coupe and it runs great after it warms up but despite all the things I have tried the engine dies every time I stop at the traffic light or stop sign.

I have rebuilt the carburetor.

I can brake with the left foot and keep my right foot on the gas feathering it and it doesn't stall.

I tried idling the speed but then it idles too fast.

Any of you carburetor gurus have a suggestion? HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 1st thing I would suspect is a vacuum leak. Do you have power brakes? Are you installing a new carb base gasket every time you take the carb off? Didn't miss a vacuum hose on the rebuild did you? Are the vacuum hoses all good? Hoses are things we often reuse without thinking they may not be sealing on the carb fittings, or may have cracks at the tight bends. Gene

3. One possibility, is that one or both floats are set too high. What kind of carb is it? With a Holley, and it has the sight screws on the bowls, it is just a matter of pulling the sight screws and checking to see if fuel is flowing out the hole. If it is a QuadraJet, Carter, Autolite, or Edelbrock, then you are going to have to pull the top to adjust the float downward very slightly to lower the fuel level in the bowl.
    Bob

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

What's your TOTAL timing?......34-36*? Most engines with a snotty idling cam want more initial timing16-18*?!
    Lighter springs will give you a quick advance(a good thing) but sometimes it will allow the engine to continue up to 40-46* and up (a bad thing) You need to limit the total to approx. 36* and set the initial to 20*. Idle will be crisper and higher. THEN turn down your curb idle to where you want it.
    These numbers are not cast-in-stone but you get the idea. Lotsa initial timing works miracles(until you have hot-start issues) Then we can "fix" that!
    6sally6
    PS............Gene Cromer can clue-you-in I bet.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is your timing and where is your vacuum canister attached? And, of course, what kind of carburetor?

-Abone.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me in the vacuum leak line too. I never liked the ether spray idea to detect leaks, too scary. I like a propane torch (unlit of course) because you're not spraying a volitile fluid on a hot engine. Works like a charm, and unless the engine is so damn hot it would melt the paint on the hood it's really quite safe.

7. Does it start right away after it stalls? If it's a manual choke, try running it with a partial choke. This could tell you if it's fuel or ignition...

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could also be trash in the idle circuit. After you've checked all these things, you should have it purring like a kitten.

9. Do you have a vacuum advance on the distributor? Does it hold vacuum or could it have a leaky diaphragm? Is it connected to ported or full manifold vacuum?

10. Check all your carb settings and adjustments
    What kind of carb?
    Vacuum reading ?
    Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
    Have you futzed with the distributor or timing at all?

Hook up a vacuum gauge, should point you in a direction.

Remember a forest is nothing more then a bunch of trees, strat knocking them down and before you know it you have a clear field !
    Good luck keep. Us posted .

1765B3E2-C0E6-4876-9712-191DF32A6542.jpeg

3W JOHN, ClayMart, Bam.inc and 2 others like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

What brand of carb are you using ? I hate to say this but , if me I would remove the dist cap and use a vacuum pump on the vacuum advance , watch the operation . It should hold the vacuum you pump it up to . If no hold the diaphragm is toast . Look for where the arm attaches to the breaker plate . If the arm is off that is your problem. Your vacuum advance should be attached above the plates on a Ford . Sometimes switching it will solve a lengthy battle , try that also. Give me a touch more info , I think we can narrow your issue down .

12. carbking

carbking

Count me in with the vacuum leak vote.

Second choice would be an electronic conversion (if it has one) in the distributor. Over the years, we have solved literally hundreds of "carburetor" problems by having the customer re-install points and condenser in their distributor. Seems that if they fail, it is always idle issues.

Jon.

13. Vacuum leak or crap in the idle circuit. I have had luck pulling crud through a partially clogged jet by running the engine at a high idle and placing my hand over the top of the carb, like I was smothering my step mother... snuff it out quick and sometime it works, that moment of ridiculously high vacuum is what does it. How is the gas filter?

14. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

That's what we call a red neck tune up. It's worth a try before you move on to more invasive steps.

15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Vacuum leak vote here as well. Look everywhere and like was reported before, don't spray flammable liquid on your engine. Best case is you have a messy engine with crap all over it, worst is the car burns to the ground and you don't need tp worry about that leak anymore.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We call that burping it.

17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

HRP... Honestly it almost sounds like the float levels need to be checked. Heat makes the fuel react different in the floats and sometimes they can be too lean when hot.

I would run it around the block, get it to die in front of your house, pull a plug and it will tell you, wet or dry..... The only timing thing that would make this happen is if the advance got stuck. Not very likely....

When you had it apart, did you clean the transition slots, air bleeds, back the idle screws out and blow them clean also? If a holley carb remove power valve clean passages and install new gasket etc also.

Give the idle screws .5 turns out and see if that fixes or hurts your problem..... If worse, then go in .5 from baseline. It could be that simple now that i think of it.

18. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

Once it warms up it comes off the fast idle cam, then if the throttle plate clearance is tight or no clearance it will stall, this depends on type of carb you have.

19. rjones35

rjones35

Years ago I had a Holley 4bbl that did that, driving down the highway fine, then pulled off and stopped and it died. Started right back up, but died at every stop after that unless I kept the rpm up. It was the mixture. The screws vibrated out. Got it adjusted again and it was fine.

20. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, With ladyhrps business natures corner florist the last couple of days have been extremely busy and I have been playing delivery boy and haven't had a chance to look at the car or check on the thread.

I hope to check everything this weekend. HRP

I didn't noticed any leaks,I did install a new carburetor gasket, the vacuum hoses are new

Could be float related, it's a Holley carburetor,.

The timing is set somewhere between 10 and 18 as I recall.

Timing is between 10 & 18, it's a Holley carburetor and I don't have a vacuum canister.

Yeah, The engine fires right up and it's a electric choke

Anything is possible.

The vacuum advance appears to be working properly but I will recheck.

I'll try some of these suggestions this weekend.

More stuff to try this weekend.

Every thing is new in the distributor including cap, I'm going to stick with points ignition.

New fuel pump, new gas filter near new gas tank, new gas lines, new filter near carburetor and rebult Holley carburetor. HRP

Everything was cleaned properly & all the gaskets were replaced.

This is the symptom and I'm tired of doing the toe dance to keep the car running, I really shouldn't have to do that. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Holley's have places that you cannot see that need cleaning , even if you soak them sometimes you can't get them clean . The only way to access those areas is to pull the Welsh plugs out of the top or the metering block(s) . Holley also has passages in the base plate that connects the primary and secondary idle bleeds. If the base plate gasket is the wrong one you'll have an idle vacuum leak ........

22. I found a cure for cleaning the impossible passages on small carbs and the Holley metering blocks. I bought a cheap Chinese ultrasound cleaner and use a heated solution of solvent (outside), or Simple Green, and run the carb parts I am cleaning, a couple of 10 minute cycles.
    You can actually see the crud being washed out of the plugged ports.
    It has saved me a ton of money, by allowing me to clean my auto parts, as well as the 2 cycle carbs on my trimmers and chainsaws. It is also handy for cleaning any other intricate parts.
    I have the smaller 1 quart tank, but because of the time and money saved, I regret not buying a unit with the larger tank.
    Bob

3W JOHN, partssaloon, Bam.inc and 2 others like this.
  23. You see... This right here is why electrical diagnosis give me the heebie-jeebies. :eek: You'd figure that at an idle condition the ignition system is seeing probably the least amount of load or stress possible. o_O How could an electronic ignition system possibly work at all but end up not letting an engine idle with no real load on it? :mad: AAaaarrrrRRRGGHH!

24. X-cpe

X-cpe

Built a 327 that ran like that years ago. Put a genuine, hot lick, no-name, guaranteed better than an L79 cam in it. Idling out of gear it made just enough vacuum to pull in the vacuum advance. When it was put in gear the idle speed dropped and vacuum went below sufficient. That allowed the advance to retard which dropped the idle speed below critical. If we set the idle speed high enough to idle in gear, it raced like crazy out of gear.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How your vacuum is/was hooked up (full vacuum) would do that. But is HRP running his advance unit as you have?

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Carb cleaning the ultra sound is tops in cleaning . I also use an old crock pot with solvent heat it up a bit move the stuff around , soak do this five or six times and it’s spotless. I’m still leaning towards ignition timing issues . Fords are funny about timing issues , get it right and it’s bullet proof get it wrong and you be damned until you locate it . Cleaning stuff to share : We had a huge oven , at work to burn insulation from electric cable before scraping it . Man that thing would clean engine block , heads , trans cases , really any thing that was greasy . It was so clean in the climate where the humidity is 90% daily if you didnt oil your junk it was rust . Sorry had to share cool stuff .

Boneyard51, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

See may "remedy" about running ALOT of initial advance above. Really cleans up the idle. Helped my SBF with a killer /snotty cam in it.
    6sally6

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Danny, are you running an Autolite distributor? If so, they change the dwell drastically when the vacuum advance moves the points plate. The one in my '66 will change 15 degrees, so initial point setting is very critical. Set them and then check with a dwell meter. I have thought very hard about running a Pertonix or other electronic setup for just this reason.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Dwell should not change when breaker plate moves. There is issues if it does.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Take a look at an Autolite distributor, it does.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Johnny Gee like this.