Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shrinking Metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Feb 11, 2019.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Is it possible to shrink 10 gauge metal? I have a chassis that was damaged in shipping and the inside boxing plate was stretched out about a 1/4 inch in an area bout the size of a baseball. I'm thinking shrinking isn't possible and I need to cut the damaged plate out and weld in a new section? I have to replace a tranny mount but I also have a gouge in another cross member about the size of a 50 cent piece that I'll probably have to make a patch for to save it. Trying to do the best job for the customer at the lowest price to me. Dam trucking companies very rarely pay damages?

2. redo32

redo32

If you can get behind it to coax it along, I think it could be done. Cutting and patching is probably faster with predictable results. IMHO

56premiere likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heat is your friend. Manipulate it with heat and if that doesn't work then patch as needed.

4. 270bob

270bob

Yes, you can shrink 10 gauge.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Baseball??? Cut it out and patch it!
    Imagine, if you will: You are the 'Ramrod' in a high-dollar rod/chassis shop. 'Heat-and-shrink???' I think not. You direct the damage to be cut out like a cancer, replacing it with fresh new 'skin'...
    My shop? I would never have done the repair with heat, as it affects the properties of the metal in an adverse way.

harpo1313 likes this.
  6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You can straighten and bend at least as thick metal as in the beams in bridges with heat shrinking (demos on Youtube), so yes, it's absolutely possible. If it's the best solution for this particular situation is a completely different matter.

56premiere likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

he was told by his heart Doctor not to electric weld anymore...so that might have led to his question.

56premiere and G-son like this.
  8. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

yes ! it is known as the five dimes and the quarter trick!

9. We could shrink stretched metal in the side of a battleship with the right equipment

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^ exactly, it could be easily shrunk and repaired.

11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

When I was in a fab shop, sometimes we would have to shrink 40 foot I beams to straighten them out after welding on them.

G-son likes this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Figured out how to shrink the bad spot. Cut it out and weld in a new piece. Looks good and was quick.

lippy and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.