Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I'm not sure who is in the first attached photo but I am assuming that this is one of the cars that ran in the NASCAR Speedway Division in 1952/53.

The second shot shows Hector Honroe with his Black Deuce. Is that Gordon Wooley in the cockpit?

The third photo shows the twin engined Porsche driven by Bill Cheesbourg at Indianapolis in 1966. The car missed the show but you have to give them credit for trying something really different. The tube frame chassis was actually built by Joe Huffaker for owner Al Stein. Stein's father had worked for the Faegol bus/truck plant in Oakland and as a kid Stein heard all about the twin engined buses and the Indy car that Lou Faegol had built.

As always thanks for the great photos, Rootie!

2. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

I don't see any children...

Surfmerc and loudbang like this.
  3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's Jim Moughan in the Black Deuce.
    The 33 car is the ex-Les Anderson Kennedy Tank Spl. after it went to the NASCAR Speedway Div. 1952, driven by Steve McGrath.

Capture 084.JPG
    And FWIW yesterday I posted this pic of Anderson's first Kennedy Tank Spl. that he took to Indy 47. Obviously repowered and looks to have been shortened also.

2-11-b.JPG 1x-31-f.JPG

doebling4, Lil32, jchav62 and 7 others like this.
  4. JD Miller

JD Miller

Looks earlier than Woodstock

Looks like they are leaving , walking back to the buses

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Bleach likes this.
  5. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Helium filled tires ?? Either way ...I'm impressed ...

[​IMG]

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

7. A Wagon in the air!
    It doesn't get much cooler n'that!

BigO, Bowtie Coupe, HEMIDAV and 8 others like this.
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

she went on to become an accomplished photographer!

9. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Thanks for the information, Rootie!

10. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

The late Paul Longnecker was quite a competitor. He raced EVERYTHING as this obit. tribute from NHRA Insider's Phil Burgess points out. Longenecker was one of those names – and an unforgettable one at that, given its uniqueness – that I always seemed to read about in those 1970s magazine articles, before TV and the internet made knowing the drivers so easy. For a guy who wasn’t exactly a household name and never won an NHRA national event title, he was extremely well respected by his peers in Division 3 and beyond. What a lot of people don’t know about him is that from his home base in Arcanum, Ohio, he also competed in also competed in Pro Stock, Modified, Comp, Super Stock, and Stock before he switched to a nitro dragster in late 1972.

After launching his career in Modified in 1959 in a 389-powered B/Gas ’57 Pontiac, he converted the car to run in Stock through 1963. After service in the Army, he returned to the quarter-mile in 1967 with a B/Comp dragster and won class at the Winternationals and at the famed Hot Rod Magazine Championships in Riverside, Calif.

[​IMG]
    After three years in Comp, he built a 427-powered ’67 Camaro and tried his hand in the new Pro Stock class and even won a round at the U.S. Nationals. The car was too old to continue in Pro Stock in 1971, so he went back to Modified with an A/Modified Production ’61 Corvette and later a big ol’ F/Gas Pontiac wagon, but already had his sights set on Top Fuel. For 1972, he teamed with his brother Tom to compete in Super Stock with Tom’s SS/QA ’57 Chevy and won class again at the Winternationals.

Before the season ended, Mark Williams had finished his Top Fuel chassis and Longenecker made his Top Fuel debut at the 1972 U.S. Nationals where he not only qualified but beat Ray Stutz in round one. Jerry Ruth lowered the boom on him in round two with a 6.06, at the time the quickest run in the sport, but Longenecker was hooked.

[​IMG]
    “I’m not sure why I made a leap like that,” Longenecker told National Dragster in 1995 to explain his move to Top Fuel. “I was more doorslammer-oriented, but I loved going to the big races and running in front of big crowds. If there was a big race somewhere, I wanted to be there. I also kind of liked the idea of racing in the top class.”

Longenecker raced Top Fuel for so more full seasons, running as many as 50 dates a year, before costs forced him to park his car after the 1979 Gatornationals. Although he never won an NHRA event, he and then-partner Roger Smith did claim Top Fuel at the 1974 IHRA All American Nationals in Bristol and, although I can’t find a record of it, also reportedly won an AHRA race. He finished in the top 10 of all three sanctioning bodies in 1976, won the 1974 Division 3 Top Fuel championship, was the low qualifier at the 1975 NHRA Winternationals, and won a number of NHRA divisional events.

Longenecker also rode out what was one of the most harrowing Top Fuel blowovers of all time at the 1973 Popular Hot Rodding meet. You can see Longenecker launching into a wheelie that grows bigger as he stays on the gas trying to beat Jim Bucher. Finally, the car goes vertical, then pirouettes down the track on the rear rubber alone like a ballerina, spinning on its axis what looks like four times before crashing back to the track. It’s an amazing piece of footage.

After retiring, he was both a farmer and a part-time chassis builder, and in the later years of his life devoted himself to work within the church.

11. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

My kid brother's coupe 1968 ron stude 2.jpg

12. In around 1980 I could have gotten a nicely loaded 1959 Pontiac Safari wagon in good original condition for a $100. It was only missing the engine and maybe the transmission. I didn't know what I would do with it then so I passed. Now I know what I would have done with it. Damn I wish I gotten it.

Bowtie Coupe, HEMIDAV, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  13. jchav62

jchav62

14. There was a '63 Catalina wagon that ran in the '70s on the West Coast somewhere, that regularly got the front end up like that. I recall being given details of it - which included a 421, T10 four speed and 5.10(?) gears. It was quite successful in its particular class, which mostly consisted of Camaros etc. Someone will remember who and where.

15. [​IMG]

Would make a great hood ornament. ;)

16. [​IMG]
    Richfield Gas Station - Burns, Oregon - 1940's

17. [​IMG]
    French Hotel Burns 1909.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.