Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any tips for removing back window with REALLY old/hard rubber? (1941 Buick)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

I'm removing all the glass from my '41 Buick because we're getting ready to chop it. I cracked the windshield trying to separate it from the very original and very hard rubber gasket. No biggie because it's flat glass, but I don't want to do the same with the backlite. Any tips?
    Thanks.
    Curt

2. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

maybe some brake fluid , it destroys some rubber

3. BJR

BJR

Use a box cutter and cut the lip off of the rubber to expose the edge of the glass. You will need to buy new rubber anyway so just cut the glass out.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

^^^ Break out the knife, save yourself a lot of grief.

egads likes this.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I cut the glass out of my 51 Chevy a few weeks ago. I just cut the old rubber down to the pinch weld and the glass all but fell out. The rubber moulding was hard and brittle but it did cut ok.

john worden likes this.
  6. Squirt some penetrating oil or any oil on it and let it soak before cutting.

3340 likes this.
  7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Utility knife, cut around perimeter on out side , sometimes the glass will still stick to the inside face , score that area with said knife and ...viola..now...putting it back in is another technique by itself consisting of rope , soap and assistance of a dope....ha ha

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i use a knife but tv shows use hammers. lol

Irish Mike likes this.
  9. when we would swop windows out of parts cars, to use the glass in the vehicle we would be saving. we would, break the glass to save the rubber on the project. cut the rubber on the donor to save the glass out of the parts vehicle.

bobss396, low budget and Hnstray like this.
  10. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I have removed a windshield from a 53 chev that had sat for years outside , I liberally loaded it with WD 40 and let it sit for just a few hours , damn thing slid out with very little effort .

3340 and Truck64 like this.
  11. ...mite warm up the rubber with a butane torch very carefully, mite cut a lil easier

samurai mike likes this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Or a heat gun. :)

13. samurai mike

samurai mike

heat gun and a knife is the way to go.

john worden and blowby like this.
  14. junkman8888

junkman8888

If the rubber is in any way pliable I use the box knife and a fresh blade, you want to swap out the blades often as the easiest way to get cut is to try to cut with a dull blade. If the rubber is really brittle I use a long-handed gasket scraper and a rubber mallet. You want to hit away from the center of the glass, not towards the center of the glass.

15. Curt Six

Curt Six

Thanks fellas. Worked like a charm. Took a while with two of us but the glass came out intact.

16. Great news there.:)

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

so which method did you use?

18. The box cutter is the only way to remove the glass, the petrified rubber isn't reusable anyway. HRP

19. Curt Six

Curt Six

The Buick glass is installed from the inside, so there's a rubber molding that captures the trim and the pinch-welded seam on the outside and the glass on the inside. I sprayed PB blaster around the rubber the day before, then @Cody Walls and I cut the rubber (outside of the perimeter of the glass) all the way around on the inside, then we slid a blade along the glass (running parallel to the glass) on the outside to break the bond with the rubber. It released pretty easily after that. Then we cut the top off the car. chop curt and cody.jpg

jazz1, ottoman, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  20. BJR

BJR

That was pretty drastic punishment for the car for not letting go of the rear glass.

21. Curt Six

Curt Six

We don't take shit off anyone.

22. jazz1

jazz1

Make sure the glass can't fall inside and break when removing the rubber. I was not expecting that to happen.