Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WITH THAT DAMN PART?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 11, 2019.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just consider the hunt for missing nuts and bolts as exercise.

VANDENPLAS, raven, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  2. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Same thing that I did. Only I was talking to my wife for about 20 minutes while sitting in front of Post Office

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I misplace things on almost a daily basis. I'll spend an hour looking for it and, if I really need it, I call my wife and ask her to help me look. She'll walk into the shop, ask what it looks like and finds it in about 15-seconds, hands it to me without saying a word and walks out of the shop with a smile on her face........ she REALLY pisses me off !

-Brent-, VANDENPLAS, raven and 7 others like this.
  4. Yes sir, a exercise in futility! HRP

VANDENPLAS, raven and catdad49 like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I put door hinge pins and bushings in my neighbors pickup a couple of weeks ago, and dropped one of the e-clips that retains the pins. Looked for it with a flashlight and a magnet for an hour or so. Came home and took my boots off, and it landed on the floor. It had been stuck in the bootlace area on my boot the whole time.

HOTRODPRIMER, catdad49 and mad mikey like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

The missing part/piece always shows up after replacement has been purchased/installed, It appears to be a reoccurring problem on all projects for us DIY guys, that and the gremlins that hide/parts/tools/glasses, etc. It's all part of the Fun.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duh...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...huh?
    lol :D

Thanks, Ben. You're gonna go shopping for some old tin? All good luck to you. I hope you pour some steaming hot black coffee in it!

That's AWESOME! Lol...

You aint kiddin'!!!
    It's not just in the garage. I live in a huge 2 story house. If I misplace something and it could be anywhere in the house...oh my golly...up the stairs, look around the upper floor from one end to the other. Down the other stairs and search the main floor. Up the stairs...
    By the time I find what I'm looking for, I need a nap.

VANDENPLAS, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Tagman you nailed it. My wife is my trump card. She always finds what is missing! But, she does rub it in. Oh well at least she found it...…..

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And I have an old garage, a new garage and a storage shed to look in also! :rolleyes:o_O

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My first job as a body man in a shop was at a Pontiac garage. Every now and then I would find myself standing in the supply room with one of the old guys sooner or later one of us would ask the other what they were after and usually neither one of us could remember what we there for.

VANDENPLAS, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  11. I have 17 acres with five buildings, I never see shit again.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago working in a diesel repair shop I kept losing SnapOn 9/16" end wrenches. We had a couple apprentices that were shy some tools so they would "borrow" from the Journeymen from time to time. It seemed every other Tues. I had to buy another from the SnapOn man. So I realize Im missing another 9/16" wrench so I pick up a new one from the SnapOn man, take it in and mark it as usual. 10 mins later and I cant find it...I blew my top...screaming at the apprentices, other mechanics and anyone else I felt was responsible... in the bosses office I go, yelling at him to tell the damned apprentices to buy their own damn tools, I've had it damn-it...tell them to stay away from my box...man I was HOT, wavin my arms around and slobberin' like a wild woman fucks...back out in the shop I go, everyone steering WAY clear of me...get back to my box, huffin and puffin, tryin to catch my breath...reach to open a drawer and there was my brand new wrench, right in my hand...I had even been using it as a pointer, tryin to get my point across................took it home and didn't bring it back until the next time the SnapOn came around...one things fer sure....no one ever "borrowed" a tool from me again.

13. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Oh yeah, missing nut syndrome. Before my last drive out to the LARS we tore my roadster apart for some upgrades. Pulled the engine and trans for color change, new interior, new dash, and rewiring. Got into a time crunch as good as any Velocity channel TV show. During reassembly I found myself frantically looking for a nut that I JUST had. Yup it was in my hand. I hate to say it but this happened twice. Fortunately the deadline was met and we shoved off for the four day cross country trip.

Lee

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron..........omg...lmao.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. It's in the microwave or the bathroom floor. LOL

VANDENPLAS, raven and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

The old saying of...."drop a part on the floor and it ALWAYS land in the center of the car" to be TOTALLY true!
    When I cut/grind stuff in my tiny little work shop more times than not I will launch-it somewhere into the nether regions never to be found again. If I still have crap and sawdust/grinding dust all over the floor...I don't even waste time to look for it!
    Pitiful
    6sally6

17. redo32

redo32

I've been known to drop a second nut, and watch to see if it lands next to the first one.

18. catdad49

catdad49

The first step in corrective behavior is admitting that there's a problem. Now, if I could just find those pieces/parts! A little HAMB therapy, you are Never alone. Thanks, guys.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Makes me feel somewhat better to know that I am not alone.
    Pete
    It's always in the last place you look.. If you kept looking after you found it I'd really worry about you.

20. mountainman2

mountainman2

Nope, doesn't make me feel any better. It actually scares the crap out of me to know that there is whole society of us crazy old farts running loose. :eek:

21. BJR

BJR

I hurry down into the basement, stop, and then stand there for 5 minutes trying to remember why I went down there in the first place. Most of my same age friends have done the same thing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I could find a twenty dollar bill on the ground and it doesn’t match the euphoria of finding “misplaced” keys.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happens to me quite often. After searching everywhere I will ask my wife for help. She usually finds to part in short order! The other day I dropped the key wedge for a 40 column-very small-heard it hit the floor-Oh shit! Told her what it looked like. She said lay a light on the floor and we got down on the floor and scanned across the floor. There it was way back under the car. I would have never found it-would have just bought another one.

WB69 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. The fairer sex are better at finding lost objects than we are, had ladyhrp been there when the specialty nut was dropped/misplaced I'm sure she would have found it, alas she was not there. HRP

27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

What usually happens to me is I go buy a part for the project car only to discover a while later I already had the same part in a box in the garage!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Me too

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. williebill

williebill

Glad it's not just me!
    I buy books I already own..
    I retrace my steps often, looking for a trigger to tell me whyinthehell I walked to the back of the shop, what am I looking for ?
    At least I remember to put my pants on before I leave the house... so far...
    Zipping them up ? Not always

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in the garage the other night working at a roll around workbench in bay 1 of a 3 bay garage. I removed a dual belt pulley from the packaging to install it on a alternator for the hemi going in my truck. The pulley rolled off the bench and hit me in the foot then proceeded to play hide and seek. I looked for over 30 minutes for that damn pulley. I found it under my tool chest, 3 bays over, after having rolled unobstructed under my 41 truck in bay 2 and the 34 in bay 3.