Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WITH THAT DAMN PART?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 11, 2019.

1. " I just had it a few minutes ago " o_O

Saturday I was at my pal Dave's buttoning up the dash on the sedan and I took the specialty nut off the under dash light switch on the work bench, covered the piece of metal with black vinyl and went to put the switch back in place and spent the next 30 minutes looking for that damn nut.

I dug through a big tray of extra odds & ends trying to find something that would work but to no avail, this tale ends up with a trip to the parts store.

How in the world can you loose something you just had in your hand? HRP

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. BJR

BJR

A few days ago I was walking around the house looking for my keys......... They were in my hand. WTF:eek:

3. Gremlins... They have infested my shop also!

4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I spend more time looking for stuff than I do actually working .my kids claim its old-timers disease

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I go through boxes sometimes and find stuff I bought already because I didn’t remember buying it the first time. :oops:

6. I've purchased parts in the past and misplaced them waiting until I get around to installation but loosing them within a few minutes is just insane. HRP

7. I have a major garage clean out planned because of that.

8. I do it all the time!!
    “ this part is very special /expensive I’m going to put it here so I don’t forget ....... 2.3 minutes later WHETE IN THE F$&K IS IT !!!!!!!

I do it at work with safety glasses on my head all the time !

E82745C1-3309-42E8-AC38-C536D3C8AD55.jpeg

9. I took a buddy on his first deer hunt years ago. He showed up in full camo, I never saw him again.

10. Will this be on this season's episode of " Missing without a trace" ? :D HRP

11. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

He's there .....You just can't see him ....o_O

Bruce Fischer, catdad49, clem and 4 others like this.
  12. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I cleaned out the back seat of my everyday driver and found tools I had given up on finding ,I thought my son in law had borrowed

13. As far as I know his truck is still parked at the camp.........but that was in camouflage also.

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

About a year ago I lost my favorite flash light while working on my F100. Last week I dropped to keys to my DD on the floor and while picking them up I spotted the flashlight under the DD drivers seat.

I have no idea how it got there.

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

I have adjustable coil overs on my rearend. I had pulled one of the pins out to make an adjustment. Somehow in the 1 minute it was out it grew legs and ran away. I called Speedway, "no problem, we'll send you a replacement".

This is where a .25 cent pin, turns into a $3,200 pin.

The Speedy Delivery truck backs up my driveway....and keeps going...into my garage door. Hits so hard it knocks the door on our ceiling that leads to the rafters off. The door lands on my wife's truck, denting the hood. After a new double garage door and payoff for a new hood compliments of Speedy Delivery, I got my .25 cent pin. :D

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A lot of times it's in the drawer where you grabbed the last tool you used. Had a bunch of stuff go missing over a period of time years ago and later found that a pack rat had hitchhiked in a '36 Ford I got and stashed it all under the workbench.

17. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Dam , All you guys are making me feel more normal for a long time I have thought it was just Me lol

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

One day I was going to do a gas steel weld on a small part, I got interrupted by a customer and after I finished I could not find my goggles. I looked for an hour until I had to take a piss and stopped to wash up, the f'n goggles were on my forehead.

19. lake_harley

lake_harley

Two stories....

A few years ago I built an all wood ultralight plane. It took about 1,000 hours labor of which I maintain 200 were spent looking for a screwdriver.

When putting the 215 Olds together for my T roadster I looked for an entire day for the intake manifold/valley cover combo thingie. I finally gave up and ordered another but in reality I guess it was the first one.

I think looking for something we think we have might be worse than looking for a missing part.

20. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If you still know what it's for your still OK!...I f you pick up a part or a tool or..your car keys and don't know what they are for your in deep shit!...

21. Rich S.

Rich S.

Every time I look for something I need right now. I always find something that I needed last week.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I do it everyday at work. Today was my voltage tester. When I found it I recall sitting it there because nature called. :oops:

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I was fooling with VW bugs, I walked to my private junkyard I had at the time to get a part off of a junker. Seen a green bug I didn’t remember buying. Asked my son, he said no wonder you don’t remember buying it, I did, but you helped me haul it home! I had totally forgotten that little fact....

25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

If I Don't Place Items High And Visible They Are Gonzo... 993a82575da4a1d6dd18cf411e23ed71.jpg

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Mmmmmm.....something else we all have in common. Everything above only repeat, repeat and repeat again.:eek::D

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

For me it’s keys... I have my lock shop on speed dial. Lost one set of keys to the DD, thought I needed two sets, went to my lock shop, many dollars later I have two sets. Looked under the seat of other DD several months later.... now have three sets of keys.... fast forward to today...... back to one set of keys! House keys... we buy by the dozen! Lol

Bones

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Speed~On

Speed~On

This is a great thread HRP in that we can all relate. When it happens to me (as it all too often does) I feel like the worlds biggest idiot. It's nice to know I'm not the only one spending half my day looking around my garage for something I just set down. Maybe next time I won't cuss so much, knowing I'm not alone:D

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when I go because I need small stuff like nuts'n'bolts I always buy more than I need - hopefully when I lose one next time I remember to look in my parts drawers before heading to parts store, again - always wonder why companies that sell new epoxy floor coating offer decorative "sprinkles" to add to finish - only makes it that much harder to see a small washer, etc laying on floor - yesterday got in car and looked around for sunglasses - turned out already had put them on