Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Willys Owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 2 DR Sedan, Nov 27, 2015.

1. willishotrods

willishotrods

Awesome. I have this one as well. My favorite photo of it. It's Jamie Jacksons photo. I have the lady's name. Jamie is gonna get me a real print of it. Thanks for posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

willyshotrods, You should ask Jamie if it's in any of the Jackson Brothers racing footage. They have a lot of DVDs and I only have 1 The Gasser Files 1&2. I don't remember seeing it there. Also if you can find out which tracks it ran at and look for vintage photos from that track. Sometimes pictures are posted without a description (Willys Pickup or Marchant Speed) and it makes it difficult to find the picture. I will keep an eye out for more. This is a little better until you get the original shot.

image.jpeg

image.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. willishotrods

willishotrods

elgringo71 I have been in touch with Jamie and he is gonna put together some footage for me. He just needs a little time. I have the gasser files myself and haven't seen it there but I have been told it is in one of the Jackson Brothers videos. This truck has been raced and well kept most of the time since 1960. It never was left in a barn or field or forgotten. It was mostly raced at Vaca Valley/Fremont. Im sure there are lots of photos of it if I can find the right people. Marchant ran it some at The March Meet which is where the photos I have from 66 are at. Most of what I have found are all on the 37-42 willys thread here. Im still missing at least one owner from its history but making progress.

Attached Files:

4. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

I love this truck! Glad it's going to be put back together, Jamie Jackson is the man!! He found me footage of the $ilver Dollar I never knew existed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

6. elgringo71

elgringo71

@Bashnscratch, that coupe is looking great. It looks like a pretty solid car and the motor is a Gem. It should have enough power in the passing lane. Where did the coupe come from and how did you find it and how long have you had it? Do you know any of its history? I have heard some cool stories on how people found cars and have been on many wild goose chases my self.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

Elgringo I have had this one for about 4 years. I do not know much of the history on it but I do know the last 35 years or so. I got it from a guy in the same city as me up here in Canada. I tried to buy this car 35 years ago and actually thought the deal was made but at the last minute the guy changed his mind. I later found out he contacted another guy I know about a parts car, bought it and then decided not to sell. So in the meantime I found another coupe and bought it as a package with another parts sedan. I built that one starting out with a sbc (it's what I could afford at the time) and drove it for years till about 5 years ago found a 392 and put that into it. It was not quite finished when I got a call from the guy with this coupe telling me he was thinking of selling it and would I have a look at it and give him an idea what it is worth. Of course I said absolutely. I expected after 30 years of sitting out in his back yard it would be very rusty as his yard was heavily treed. I went over and was very surprised to see it was not as rusty as I thought it would be. The deal here was also a package deal he also had a 41 sedan that had to go with it.
    So I asked what he was asking and when he told me I deflated as I simply could not afford that. Luckily for me he was willing to work with me I did tell him that it was probably worth all of what he wanted to the right person but I just couldn't afford it. To my delight he countered with a number I thought I could swing. I might add here that it was three and a half times the original deal 30 years prior, but it was an all steel coupe and after all how often do you come by that? I will have to ask him the history he knows on it as I was just so excited to get it I forgot to ask him what he knew of it?
    The body is pretty solid rust wise but the poor thing is just beat! Some one has lifted it with a chain through the windows, stoved the 1/4 in, tried beating it and the roof out with a ball peen hammer, the tail pan and trunk lid were stoved in and busted along with the regular rust issues. The firewall braces are all cracked and busted through. The rear fenders were both squashed flat and busted up but little rust. Both inner 1/4's and one outer are gone and front end sheetmetal is not all there, so still looking for some things for it and would love to find some better headlight pods and stainless headlight trim, as it is a 39 and already having a 40 I will keep it a 39. I like them a lot anyway.
    I have been picking away at the metal work as it doesn't cost me much at this time. The plan for it is a gasser,, I know it is the popular way to go but again I love the look, and it is timeless, unlike my 40 built in the 80's.

Well there you have it that's what I know about the coupe I feel very fortunate that he decided to give me a call back when he was ready to sell and now I have another project to play with.

Bash

8. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks Bash, that is a cool story and it brings to mind the words persistence and good luck. It is definitely in the right hands now because you will bring the body back to what it should be and get it back on the road. When you do the math that coupe may have not been on the road for 50 years or more. How many cars that don't run and need a lot of work evade getting sold for scrap metal for that long? I am glad that it survived. When they were new these were just cheap economy cars produced in low numbers compared to the large auto producers of the time. The fact that they are so desirable now is a Cinderella story if I ever heard one.

image.png image.jpeg

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

loudbang likes this.
  10. prperformance

prperformance
    from uk.essex

another uk build, great thread.
    DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0119.JPG DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0134.JPG DSC_0135.JPG

11. Bashnscratch

Bashnscratch

12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. prperformance

prperformance
    from uk.essex

hi man, im in harlow or rather just outside harlow in gilston.
    you attending the willys wars in july?
    cheers pete

14. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Yes will be running in willys wars and gasser circus, I'm in Hullbridge, between Chelmsford and Southend. Small world eh.

Sent from my SM-T550 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Still have this? Any more pics?

16. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Yes still have it , no more pics yet

loudbang likes this.
  17. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

is that the 47-53 chevy pu headlight conversion I see?

18. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Those are 53/54 Chrysler Plymouth headlights done years ago by a friend of mine that I got the fenders from

loudbang likes this.
  19. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Well they look good! Please share more pics please!
    Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy cow, great story.

jnaki likes this.