Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. Born_too_late

Born_too_late
    from N. Iowa

[​IMG]
    My JD 2520, original paint and 3300 hours.

2. Some pictures of a few on mine. the D 4 is a 1940 model. The two M Farmalls I used to cut and bail hay last fall. The JD 301A is my newest Tractor. I haven't got to use it very much. It has a mid mount sickle bar mower that has hyd lift. I think it will be better because I will not have to keep looking back when I mow hay? walknig tractors 006.JPG walknig tractors 007.JPG walknig tractors 009.JPG walknig tractors 008.JPG It makes my back ache to keep twisting in the seat when I mow with the rear mount mower on the M.

3. ^^^^^^ That old D4 and Farmall M's, you can't kill them.

Truckdoctor Andy and Old wolf like this.
  4. I added to the collection today. I attended the annual FFA auction. And there was something Ive been kinda wanting for a few years. Farmall A. that the engine is locked. However it has a Woods Belly Mower. complete with all the brackets belts and Pulleys ect. The Tractor hasn't any Hyds. It has the Armstrong lift. Ive got a Super A with a 200 engine that I put new oversize sleeves and pistons ,bearings ect. It has live hyds and Ive been wanting a belly mower for it. So for $300 I bought the tractor. I didn't have a Farmall & woods mower 010.JPG Farmall & woods mower 004.JPG Farmall & woods mower 008.JPG Farmall & woods mower 009.JPG Farmall & woods mower 001.JPG trailer with me. so I just picked up the rear with my wrecker and tied off the steering wheel. the old dry rotted front tires made the trip home about 15 miles. The rear tires are in really good cond.

VANDENPLAS and Okie Pete like this.
  5. The tricycle M, the first one, is it propane? It does have an odd looking fuel tank.

6. Yes its a LP. its a 49 model and was converted to LP in 1953. At the same time it got a M&W increased bore kit in the engine. It now has 264 Cu In up from 248. Still runs strong the engine hasn't been apart since 53. those 38 in Rear tires are hard to find. the worn slick ones on it are take offs from the outer duals of a row big row crop tractor. I bought them & the innertubes for $30. Round and black and hold air I all that I can say about them.

7. I’m looking at an International W9 that is close to home and cheap enough to be tempting, not sure what year, it’s been sitting along time. I know nothing about them, it has a cab on it and looks cool as hell. Anything interesting about these or just an old tractor?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. I never saw one around here and that odd looking fuel tank made me wonder. Was the bore increase due to the conversion?

9. The tractor was likely using oil and needing a rebuild. Back in the day you could buy the oversize M&W parts cheaper than the original stock international parts. With a LP conversion you don't get carbon and cyl washing & deposits in the oil. and the LP engines will last a great number of hours if maintained properly.

warhorseracing likes this.
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Wow.....that is a Farmall with a lot of potential......looks like it has $800 worth of rear tires......and a complete Woods belly mower. My brother has an Allis Chalmers C with a really nice Woods mower to use at our mothers place. I have been looking for a Case VAC with a belly mower that I can use when my brother is too busy with other stuff to get the mowing done. Nice score !

Old wolf likes this.
  11. Yep In happy with the purchase. Those rear tires are oversized and if you tried to lift the belly mower all the way up the tires will rub. The solution would be to shift the mower foreward. However then a longer drive belt would be necessary. I fully intend to mount the Woods mower on my super A farmall. It has Hyd lift. smaller tires and a real good engine. The engine is stuck in the A. Ive already filled the cyls with ATF & diesel mix. I have parts of three VAC case tractors. One runs and two are taken apart. Enough stuff to build two tractors. Ive also got a set of NOS NAPA sleeves & pistons for a VAC. Two of the tractors have the Eagle Claw rear lift.

tractorguy likes this.
  12. Normant93

Normant93

Here's a few of mine, past and present...…
    The Terratrac crawler loader is long gone now, but what a beast it was, I moved 100+ truckloads of rocks and gravel fill with it, then rough graded about 1.5 acres before moving it on to the next guy before anything expensive broke.
    The little Terratrac GT25 is still waiting its turn to be restored but I've gathered most of the parts I need to do it. It's from the first few months of production (# 60) and has been in my town since 1950 when it was new.
    Still have and use the Cub Cadet 100. (my son in the pic is 22 now) he won the mid-weight kid's class in the pull at our local fair that year and came in 3rd in the heavy weight class after we added a couple hundred #'s of wheel weights.
    The Farmall Cub is one of the 1950 white Demonstrator tractors. I used it a ton for plowing and cultivating gardens as big as 1/2 acre. It lives at a friends house now, I'm getting his Silver King as soon as he can move enough stuff in his barn to get it out! He was more interested in restoring the Cub than I am.
    I also have a few old Gravely two wheel tractors that get used quite a bit when I'm not using my OT Kubota B2150.
    IMG_3865 (1).jpg IMG_3864 (1).jpg IMG_3863 (1).jpg IMG_3862 (1).jpg IMG_3866 (1).jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  13. You have a handy collection. Unlike vehicles the old tractors for me have held or increased in value. And they are useful. don't need insurance & license ect. Today the parts availability is better than it was years ago. I reciently bought a Gravely L model with a mower. Its the only one that ive ever seen. They are scarce around here. walking tractors 003.JPG

14. The W9 is a big horse. Largest wheel tractor built by IHC in that time period. If memory serves me, it’s a 335 cubic inch 4 cylinder. Should handle 4 bottoms easily, maybe 5 in the right soil. Not many W’s around here, most were Farmalls, W’s went out west or up north to the wheat country.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gggholson likes this.
  15. Normant93

Normant93

Thanks Old Wolf, that's a nice Gravely, one of mine is the same model. Like you, I really use all my old tractors, it's a big part of the fun of having them. However having only about a 3 acre sandbox to play in, I tend to collect tractors at the small end of the spectrum. Gravelys are pretty common up here, they were so well engineered & built they pretty much last forever and are easy to find parts for. I have a bunch of attachments for mine, they're like the "swiss army knife" of garden tractors. Do you have an owners manual for yours, if not let me know and I'll send you one, I think I have an extra.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    tractorguy likes this.
  16. There are a lot of those W 9s and W6s in the Arkansas Delta. We call them Rice tractors. They where used extensively in the Rice fields.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  17. Thanks for the reply, I can't get to it until spring but am seriously considering it. Are parts available?

18. I would like to find a tiller ,plow and sickle mower for my Gravely. yes I use my tractors. After I bought the A Tractor a guy said something about me restoring the A. I told him I don't restore tractors I use them or junk them. There is a Tractor club here. and they restore and paint their tractors and go on a sort of trail ride. I am not interested in that. I like to actually use mine doing what the original owners did when the bought them. I bale square bales enough for my Two Milk cows every year. and everything I use is old My bailer is a 72 New Holland 286 and its my newest item. My wifes Grandmother seen one of my M Farmalls. She stated that in 1946 her Husband (Roy) went to town and traded the mules for the down payment on a New M Farmall. And He put her on the Horse drawn planter planting cotton. Drug her around and she got covered in dirt. A noon she cleaned up ans read the operators mabual and when they returned to the field She made him get on the planter and she drove the tractor. after about a hour. He made her stop and went to town and bought the proper equiptment .

caseywheels and Normant93 like this.
  19. You are right Wolf! I forgot about the Rice and Cane Specials!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf likes this.
  20. Its a beautiful day in the Ozarks. My grandsons are here. I decided to pull the oil pan and cyl head from my newly purchased A. Little Chris who is five earned a dollar for taking all the oil pan bolts out. The engine isn't gonna run anytime soon. number two sleeve is broken from the inside out. Apparently rain water filled that cyl and froze and busted the liner. It could be fixed? the other cyls are rusty also. The rear main seal was leaking and the oil pan full of sludge. the cyl head is actually pretty good. Ive got a good supply of parts. In my hoard I mechanic boys 002.JPG mechanic boys 004.JPG mechanic boys 003.JPG mechanic boys 005.JPG mechanic boys 006.JPG mechanic boys 007.JPG got a Super A block another A block. Several cyl heads and a lot of used liners and pistons, cranks cams ect.

21. F&J

F&J

Hey Pufff, in your last barn pic...the Singer 29-4 cobblers/boot/shoe "patcher" sewing machine with original treadle "stepped" base... I see it has what looks to be an attachment that converts it to flat table to sew bigger materials?

If that is an original Singer table extension attachment, it is the first one I have ever seen, even on many web searches. I just got my 29-4 to test sew this weekend. Mine shows 2 hook shaped casting bumps on it, where it looked like a table extension once could be located. I found mine in a hoarders barn last summer for $30.

I don't have that treadle table, but one is for sale 2 hours away for $125 with no machine and no table extension like yours. I guess I don't really need it.

Have you ever used yours? The Chinese made a very crude copy for around $175 that works terrible compared to the 29-4 and 29K- series patchers.

Here is a web pic of a 29-4 Patcher with a home made plywood table extension:
    singertable.png

22. I thought you all might want to see a diesel that has Spark Plugs. My TD 14 A international starts on gas and a lever switches it to diesel. carb and dist on one side and fuel injection on the other. trees bulldozer 005.JPG trees bulldozer 007.JPG trees bulldozer 008.JPG

23. Normant93

Normant93

Sounds like you'll have that A running in no time with your cache of spare parts and that team of Ace mechanics! I'm sure they are thrilled to be helping out their grandfather.
    I know when I was that age I couldn't wait to visit my grandfather, he had so many cool tractors and machines he had rebuilt, or built from scratch, including some Gravelys which is what got me started on them.

Latigo and Old wolf like this.
  24. I noticed the pistons on the A are dished. That lowers compression ratio. I also noticed a extra hole in the hood. then I seen the shutters on the Radiator. That tells me it is a distillate burner. You started them on gas. closed the radiator shutters and let the temp get right at the edge of the red zone. then you turned off the gas and opened up the big tank to burn the cheaper fuel. you adjusted the radiator shutters to keep the temp above normal.

25. I had an old Farmall M back in the 70's that had the small tank for gas then whatever you were running it on you would switch it over after warmed up. Usually ran kerosene in it when plowing with 14" two bottom drop plows and it did increase the torque. It could be temperamental switching it over from gas but when it caught you knew it.

26. It was common to see M,s and H,s that where dual fuel systems. This is the first A that I ever seen. The extra tank is missing on it. However there is a extra hole in the hood that would be for the tank inlet.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

What was the purpose of the dual fuel systems.

28. If gas was $.22 a Gal and Kerosene was $.16 a gal you ran the cheaper. Getting them started was the hard part left to the Gasoline. Once running and heat had been built up switch the cheaper fuel. I worked for a dairy farmer in my youth and he used 40 Watt light bulbs until the dairy inspector was coming. Then we switched them out for 100 watt bulbs until he left, then back to the 40 watt. Pinch a dime hard enough to get 11 pennies out of it.

Latigo likes this.
  29. pitalplace

pitalplace

Here are mine. 1958 620 I restored about 10yrs ago. The loader tractor is original and was my fathers. I grew up feeding cattle with it. It is a 1954 70 John Deere with a f-10 Farmhand loader. I also have my grandfather's 600 ford. He gave it to me about 40 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Today it would be cheaper to use gas,around here kerosene is close to 4 dollars where gas is near two dollars. When did kerosene get to be so much more expensive.