Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Options for cleaning up steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Besides for Chrome plating it all, are there options for cleaning up the original stamped steel bezels on the dash of my 52 ford? I previously cleaned up the rust with some steel wool and WD-40 and it looks pretty good, but the dash is being painted now and I am afraid these pieces will now be an eyesore with new paint all around it. I’m specifically talking about the ones around the switches and the speedometer.
    Any use hitting it with the polishing wheel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

My experience is that where they are located in the last pic...... with the satin painted dash, and when the car is done with nice interior and exterior...nobody would ever notice, (and you won't either after driving the car a while).

voodookustoms and warhorseracing like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

also if you get them replated, I expect they will be shinier than they were when new. I would just use chrome polish on them, and leave it at that, it should look fine.

voodookustoms likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd hit them with the polishing wheel, the result would be like Squirrels suggestion, but maybe a little nicer, and a little less elbow grease (let the wheel do the work for you).

5. Are you sure they are not stainless, if so remove the knobs and polish them. HRP

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

GM used pot metal for knobs and switches like yours, they get all pock marked, chrome peeling off, etc.
    Yours do not look like pot metal

7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Model car guys use stuff called Bare Metal Foil for replicating chrome trim. It is very this aluminum foil with adhesive back. Get it at hobby shops. Cut an oversize piece, peel off, apply. You'd have to be careful to avoid wrinkles. It looks good on model cars but it isn't mirror like chrome. Not sure about long term exposure.

8. Thanks for all the replies. They are definitely stamped steel. Tried the magnet test.
    I’ll try hitting them with the polishing wheel and call it good.
    FYI, the car is a Kustom so not looking to keep it stock. I’d chrome plate everything if I had the funds for it. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Most of the stainless is magnetic , I would bet this is stainless. Hit it on the polishing wheel with green bar and then white .If it is not stainless it will still take a good shine

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

If they are pock marked . Then a good cheap way to hide the imperfections is to spray them with wrinkle paint. Used it on my Morris Minor that had badly pitted hood and trunk hinges hood ornament . DSCF0954.JPG