Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead pulley ID help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhouse88, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I bought this as an 8rt pulley. My intentions are to run a single belt set up on my av8 with 8rt pumps and Powergen alt with fan on the alt. I can’t find any numbers on it but hope someone on here can positively ID it. The engine I’m using is a 50 8ba with Eab heads[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Possibly truck pulley. Try posting on Ford Barn, great amount of flathead knowledge on that sight

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pulley is a sheet metal wide-belt used on '48-'53 Ford trucks, and '49 Ford and Merc cars. The right hand pulley in the second picture is a cast iron narrow-belt used on '50-'53 Fords and Mercs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  4. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

Are the crank snouts the same as far as swapping my truck pulley to my 8ba car engine? The truck pulley just seems a bit shorter.

5. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I intend to run 8rt water pumps and pulley to run the 5/8” belt hopefully my planning is correct and it will work out

6. flatford39

flatford39

I have a 49 Merc 8BA in My 31 roadster. That is the pulley I used. I just cut off the front pulley (it's just steel) as I was doing the exact same thing. One belt to run the pumps and alternator with a fan on it. I used the truck pumps also.

7. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I thought of having the front pulley turned off.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 8BA crank snouts are the same. The extension "sleeve" on your pulley is what the front crank seal rides on, and was integral on the early crank pulleys, but became a separate part around '50 when the cast narrow-belt pulley became available on certain engines. I would simply buy a new seal sleeve to install with the wide belt pulley.
    I am also using a truck pulley on my 32's 8BA, with the outer sheave removed, as I'm running just one 5/8" belt. :)

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The wide belt pulleys were used on trucks. I changed out my narrow pulley for the wide belt. I didn't cut the front pulley off and it is in use on my 8BA. I prefer the two belt look. It adds something to the look for me.