Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transverse front suspension travel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, it appears like there is room, however on turning the tie rod naturally moves towards the radiator.
    When that happens I'll need the room I have left.
    The fan is 3/4 " away from the rad now so if I manage to get a shroud together it will be good.

2. Just found this tread . Don’t worry about the nay sayers . Your project looks great . Build your way . I’ve been building hot rods since 63 and I was lucky because my dad was an Aircraft engineer and gave me great help . Built lots of stuff some with bent tie rods . They worked great . Never had one fail including one I built for a big swamp buggy . Love your RPU . Blue

neverdun and Blue One like this.
  3. Mart

Mart

Late to this thread too. It sounds like you've checked there will still be clearance when on full left or right lock, that's good. I would imagine that because the weight of the rod is behind the center of the rod ends, the bar will tend to settle down lower, twisting the rod ends as far as they can go. You might find that the bar then hits the frame when the suspension droops.

Neither scenario is a massive problem but it might be something you hadn't thought of.

You might possibly sort of pre load the ends into the already twisted position, and have the bar straight back, as it can't go lower if the ends are already at full twist rearwards.

If you're having a problem visualising what I'm trying to say, just push down hard on the bar and see how far it will twist downwards towards the rear.

Mart.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Got it covered Mart, there is no frame contact at full suspension travel up or down and there is clearance from everything at all angles and points, even with any downwards movement of the tie rod on the tie rod ends.

I looked at all the possibilities in every direction, I'm sure it's going to work great.

JOYFLEA, Bandit Billy and RICH B like this.
  5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looking good , nice save. I like the color of your car.
    Frank

Blue One likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, hard to beat Washington blue.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The change is complete. Good bye electric fan and the mechanical fan with the new 2 piece shroud I built is in place.
    59A7BC89-4C2C-4CD7-BB7D-E1D2B738831B.jpeg B373F50F-4DBB-41E3-A9A5-D279D03B3196.jpeg AD85F7F3-D953-4489-B5CD-BF91AA88F572.jpeg D0779961-4E53-4D37-B1D2-663E55AD2C53.jpeg 3B70E3ED-AD08-464E-B0E3-CFF991A7606B.jpeg

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

Great job! Finished product looks totally natural and unobtrusive, like it belongs there. I just noticed in the next to last picture what you had to do the lower radiator outlet to get clearance for the tie rod. Seems like building these things is a solve one, create two process.

Blue One and bobbytnm like this.
  9. Bringing this back, I may use your steering ideas in the future.

neverdun likes this.