Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where are all the 59/60 Elco Owners?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A. McGovern, Feb 10, 2019.

1. I've noticed lots of people stopped posting on the site about 4 or 5 years ago. Where did everyone go? Even the 59 & 60 El Camino owners social group hasn't seen any activity since 2014. Is there another forum that people moved to after the restructuring of the H.A.M.B? I'm gearing up to start working on my 60 but it feels like this Forum has become a ghost town in some areas.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure about the legitimacy of your data.

-Abone.

3. I'd love to be wrong, but unless the date stamps are inaccurate, that's what it shows.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because nobody but me is allowed to have a 59 elco, and I don't have one, so there...:cool:

Seriously tho, I fluggin really dig the 59s. My next keeper...

5. Go get yourself one! They’re out there somewhere. More 59s were built than 60s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

john walker likes this.
  6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

A lot went to Facebutt:eek:

7. Really? That’s unfortunate. I got rid of mine in 2013

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I've noticed lots of people stopped posting on the site about 4 or 5 years ago. Is there another forum that people moved to after the restructuring of the H.A.M.B?"

My reply was in response to the general state of the HAMB, not the ElCamino owners social group. I think 59-60 ElCaminos are bitchn', you should post pictures of yours.

-Abone.

9. I am a former 59 and 60 owner. I always liked them, but for now have other vehicles. Interesting fact, both of mine sold and went out of country. 59 to Sweden and 60 to New Zealand

10. Abone,

I have photos posted on my thread. I haven't begun work on the car, but as you can tell, I have my work cut out for me.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/60-el-camino.555628/#post-12950189

Tony

11. 38Chevy454
    I've always loved the lines of both of those cars. As soon as I found a '60 I could afford, I snagged it. Problem is, as you can see on my thread, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/60-el-camino.555628/#post-12950189 it has tons of rust. The car came from Arizona, and the previous owner let it sit on flat tires in silty dirt that ate away at everything it came into contact with. Sometimes I wonder if it's too far gone and I should look for a donor body. But that's why I'm here, to get insight, tips, tricks, and advice from fellow H.A.M.B.'ers.

I can relate to American steel winding up out of the country. A couple years ago I sold a '76 C30 Dually that made its way to Denmark. Still wish I hadn't sold it. Truck had been in my family for 30 years, I grew up in it. But sometimes life happens and you have to let things go.
    Tony

12. Still here and don't use fakebook. Mine is still waiting in line to return to the driver fold. Here's an old picture of it with a '59 I had to flip (went to Japan in the late 90's).
    IMG_0187.JPG

clunker, jnaki and Max Gearhead like this.
  13. That's awesome. Looks like you have a pretty solid car.

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I sold my 59 years back.
    Replaced it with a nice 61 Impala.

I left a note on your first thread. I found a good donor car with good parts that the driver car needed, rather than trying to find parts, piece by piece.

Mike

harpo1313 and A. McGovern like this.
  15. I had another one that was beat, was bring a 1/4 panel home to replace the smashed one and it was totaled on the freeway. I found the blue one a few months later (only had my first one less then 6 months), in a shipping yard locally, with a locked up 6 cyl and all the trim (my old one was missing a lot). Transplanted the drive train, exhaust from my totaled one (I just rebuilt the 283) along with other parts and started driving it. Another shot from early 2000's when I was doing some rust repair.
    . 1960 elco-3.jpg

jnaki likes this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know they're out there. As Callahan said in Magnum force though, "...man's got to know his limitations." and I have 2 projects now and a shop full of work with no help. Something will get flipped and a 59 elco will replace it, someday...

17. I know what you mean. I still have to finish my Uncles '53, and my '70.
    Sometimes good help is hard to come by. You own a body shop??

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, high zoot restoration as in Packard, Duesy, Auburn, Cadillac. I specialize in depression era heavy classics but not limited to it. Running thru an Auburn speedster at the moment, just put a top insert into a 33 Packard sedan, working on a 14 Woods, then there's my 39 std sedan. Barely time to scratch my ass in my sleep :eek:

19. IMG_7581.JPG IMG_7476.JPG I’m in Washington state my dad and I have 5 59 elcaminos and one 60. Two 59 brookwood wagons ones a 4door others a 2door’ he’s got a 59 Belair 4 door hardtop I have a 60 impala 4 door hardtop and we go few parts cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

El59Camino and clunker like this.
  20. That's an unfortunate situation, but looks like it worked out in the end. That's a straight car!

21. Holy shit! Those are some sweet cars. Back when stuff was made to last. Happy to hear the real old stuff is still being saved. Hire someone to scratch your ass for you

22. Chainwheelausto, I have an Uncle that lives in Sequim. You've got quite the collection of '59s and '60s. I'd kill for a collection like that. Loving the stance on that orange '59, but feel so bad for the red one at the bottom. You have an spare '60 parts up there by chance?

Chainwheelausto likes this.
  23. Thanks man been around these cars my whole life my dads probably had close to 100 59 elcaminos he has owned every body style except a convertible yeah that red car has seen better days for sure and sequim is maybe an hour from where these cars are.
    Yeah what all are you looking for?! IMG_0806.jpeg my dad and I picking this 60 up in a couple weeks

24. That's awesome brother. I grew up around old cars but not as early as these. Mainly mid 60's and early 70's cars. The earliest my pops had as far as cars is a 63 impala coupe.
    That 60 looks damn near rust free in that photo! Want to trade bodies? Take a look at my thread, my 60 is pretty rough. Sat in wet silty dirt in Arizona for a number of years.
    I'm looking to start my project early next year after I tie up some loose ends. Haven't had a chance to fully assess whats there and what's not so I'm sure I'll come across a few things. Off the top of my head, the left eyebrow molding above the headlight, the left side wing moldings. Rear valances, I think the front right valance as well

25. I’ll check and see what all I got

26. Appreciate ya.

27. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

I jumped on this last summer when it showed up on CL. Had to buy it on the spot. Sellers' phone was ringing non-stop. thumbnail3.jpg

28. Wow! You scored on that Elco! It’s a beauty