Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A. McGovern, Jan 30, 2011.

1. If really needed some parts there's a guy named Rene in Whittier that sells used parts for Elcos and Sedan Deliveries. I've had 3 of the first gen (2 60's and 1 '59....still have my '60), great looking cars but you need to hoard parts.

I'll see if I can get his number.

The hardest parts (and most expensive) you have already. The bed trim, the trim behind the birds and the trim on the wing you can get easier then the other two (because they're recessed and get damaged less). You can also sell the tie down rails to get more parts money. The 1/4 panels are Elco only, the pinch weld under the rear glass is gonna be hard to make and also check under the grate in the bed.....I bet the well under the front is gone too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. I dig those '59 & '60 Elco's. Other than the substitution of healthier metal, what sort of build vision/style do you have for it?

Rootin' for ya,

Gotta56forme/Scott

A. McGovern likes this.
  3. Awesome, I appreciate that. I'll use 1" square just to be sure. For the floor, are you suggesting building a new floor support instead of repairing what may be rusted?? If I do that, what would you recommend using? I haven't looked at the floor supports, so hopefully I won't have to do that. Is it too much of a hassle to replace them? I've seen them listed on elcaminostore.com as well as through Sherman Parts.

4. Scott, I dig em too. Sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong era...
    I'm thinking of a relatively mild build as far as styling goes. Keeping the original lines and trim, not getting rid of really anything except maybe the fender badges, and tailgate emblems to clean it up a little.
    I want modernized suspension, something that can handle the corners and hold it's own going down the road. Especially if I come across some punk kid weaving in and out of traffic in a tin can.
    Drivetrain I haven't really decided. I've thought about keeping the 348 stock (rebuilt obviously), throwing a good carb on it, and running it that way. Theres the possibility of taking the 348, boring and stroking it, and putting a fuel injection kit on for reliability and drivability sake. Or some combination of the two.
    Also thought about a 350 or some other SBC, easy to get parts for, dime a dozen, ole' reliable. I've played around with the idea of painting the engine the same color as the car, or sticking with chevy orange, and script valve covers. I'm not big on flashy accessories. (Although I do love me some chrome wheels.)
    Whatever engine combination I settle on, an Automatic will be mated to it.
    I want the car to be a cruiser, that can handle the corners when needed, but is comfortable to drive. I get tired of driving stick sometimes, my daily is an '06 Cummins with a 6 speed, and my '70 Elco is a 4 speed. Some days I want to drive it, but don't want to deal with shifting.
    Interior will be a light tone, like saddle or light tan, warm and inviting.

Frago- So I've updated my thinking on this car. I want to keep original styling, but reserve the new suspension/fuel injection possibilities for my '70 elco. I want to stay period correct on this car. Find some old go fast goodies for the 348, houndstooth upholstery, etc.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    gotta56forme likes this.
  5. What is the asking price for the rolling chassis? Do you have other details?

6. Wow....I see that car and I remember driving the parts El Camino for G&L auto wrecking in ElCajon back in 75 or 76. It was light blue like yours and had a 235/3 speed overdrive. Was tight and rust-free.

7. 1oldtimer, That would be great if you could get his number. Wouldn't hurt to have it in case I come across something I need. I am missing a few pieces of trim. What do the tie down rails fetch? I can always polish them up if needed. I read a few guys saying you can use impala/wagon quarters and trim them to fit because they're longer. Is that not true? I was looking at the well under the rear glass and thinking the same thing, it'll be challenging. The bed floor comes out doesn't it?

8. I wish I had a more solid car, but you get what you pay for and this car was only $1500 in 2011

Squablow likes this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Back when I had my 59 El Camino, I found a second car with good parts on it that the driver car needed. I found that much easier than trying to find things piece by piece.

Mike

10. I may end up having to do that. I’ll have to look around for something that fits the bill. The wife isn’t going to like that haha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. The bed grate does unbolt, then at the front of the bed area is a well...no reason it's there but they rot out. There's a '60 on C/L above Bakersfield for $3500 you might be able to get some panels off of. On the 1/4 panels you can section them or use pieces from a 2 door but it's work. There's some one asking $1200 for a good polished pair of rails now on C/L.

12. I bet that bed grate is a heavy sucker. I'll have to borrow my dads cherry picker to lift it out when I do that. I think that well under the bed is the floor board of the wagon. It's my understanding that the "smugglers box" on the later el caminos (which are also modeled on the wagon chassis) is actually the foot board of the wagon. Assuming it's the same idea.
    I took a look at that '60 on C/L, the yellow one? Looks to be in pretty good shape. Too bad I don't have the cash to pick that up right now.
    Also saw those rails, that's more than I thought they'd go for! How sought after are those things?

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On the floor repair, it is really a judgement call. If all of the parts are available, that makes a huge difference. Also, if you plan on pulling the body off of the frame, you will probably want to run an "X" from the bed corners to the dash, with side braces in the center.

14. Ive found full floor pans through Sherman parts, as well as El Camino Store, that's likely what I'll do. May have to fab something up for the front well under the bed floor. I'll be sure to brace. I've thought about taking the body off the frame but I'm not sure if I'll do that or not. If I do, I'll either put it on a rotisserie (which I'll make using the plans I have), or set the body up on blocks in the garage to make it easier to work on.

15. I decided to take a walk out to the cover where the Elco is parked with my son. He’s home sick with the flu but the SoCal sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day. Took a gander at the car after talking with a few fellow H.A.M.B’ers. I’m a bit concerned about the frame. The holes cut for hydros are going to be a bitch to repair. I can see that already. My tailgate has rust at the bottom underneath the panel inside the bed. Luckily I have 3 of the 4 valances. I’m only missing the left rear. But the right rear is pretty beat. IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2011.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

therre's a '60 El Camino being sold for parts on Craigslist in Greeneville,TN, I saw it on the Knoxville list

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

when building my wagon impala parts were used with repetitively minor modifications.
    many parts will need to used, Carl Keefer is a good source .
    carlk60 on the HAMB
    Looking forward to the build.

18. I didn't see it when I just looked. Any chance you can link the posting?

When you say you use Impala parts, were they new body panels for an Impala or other parts? I'll look up Carl, thanks for the referral.

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ah, hydros equals hydraulics. Just my opinion, but you could be better off finding a less rusty example that needs the good stuff you have.

20. 327Eric

327Eric

As rusty as she is, the rust you have is fairly typical of these cars. My 59 looked much nicer than yours, but , aside from the front fenders and rockers, the rust repair was the same, and was from the toeboards to the tailgate. You may want to remove the cab roof trim and check the metal underneath before you proceed.

21. I've certainly thought about it. We'll see. I'm going to take a deeper look at it sometime in the near future. If once I start the build it turns out to be too much. I'll look for a donor car.

That is reassuring. Honestly. I hope I can resurrect the car. It'd hate for it to go to waste. There were only 14,163 built, and every one that can't be saved takes away from the number of survivors left. I plan to remove the roof trim to check that metal, I do see some red underneath there, but hoping it's not through and through. What's the best way to go about removing that trim anyhow? I don't want to damage anything.

22. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just cut all the rust off! :eek:

[​IMG]

1959Nomad likes this.
  24. Contact TERPU, here on the HAMB. He has a pretty good project one for sale. Might be cheaper to use parts from your Elky... Also, there's one being parted out on the Bako Craigslist.

25. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Roof trim removal goes something like this - Start at the A- pillar and remove the two pieces (each side) just in front of the vent window. This will expose end screws for the upper and lower front windshield molding. Remove interior headliner trim to expose other speed nuts for rest of upper exterior stainless. Remove wiper arms, then sheet metal piece with holes in it for wipers. This will expose clips for lower windshield trim. Windshield done. Remove upper rear interior molding to expose clip screws at rear glass, same as at front. Remove interior B pillar trim to get at more screws for little thin exterior trim at side/ends of back window. Remove two pieces of corner stainless bed trim with exposed screws from the exterior. The lower rear glass trim is the tuffy cuz the nuts are up in there and are probably rusted away. I think there is one exterior screw in the center. The stainless at the top of the doors just slips on/off but will be stuck cuz its got a bunch of gummy sealer underneath, I don't think there are any exterior screws. Done. Now see what the condition of your rusty relic is really like.... Probably rusted thru at the roof and at the bottom of the rear window. Both suck but rof can be an easy fix while lower rear window is a mother.

Hope this helps. Good luck. IMG_0830.JPG

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would also take pictures during disassembly, and find a lot of containers for hardware. Break it down into small groups with real specific labeling. It helps a lot during reassembly to grab the can with just the bolts for a specific item, instead of groveling through fifty bolts nuts and screws in a can that says "trim screws". I also don't use baggies, too damn easy to poke a hole in one and lose that unobtainable clip.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. I see it now. I was looking in cars, not parts.

That's a serious chop job!

Thanks, I'll look him up. Bako, like Bakersfield?

That's an awesome set of directions! Thank you, I'll be walking through this for sure. I'm hoping you're wrong about the roof, but you hit the nail on the head with the bottom of the rear window. Looks like im in for a real mother.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. Very good advice. I was thinking of using bags, but then thinking long term, those will dry out and fall apart and I'll lose everything. I'll probably get some tupperware containers or hardware containers. I definitely don't want to lose hardware for this project. I didn't use the best methods of organizing the hardware for the 53 P/U and I'm regretting it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

These work purty well, along with coffee cans, cottage cheese containers and the like. I'm cheap.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.