Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's the shelf life of new wheel cylinders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rods Ta Hell, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I have a 8" Ford rear end that I rebuilt 20 years ago. Axle bearings, seals, all new brakes, wheel cylinders, etc. It's been in dry storage in my (So Cal) garage. I'm planning to add fluids and run it but wondering if the wheel cylinder seals, etc. will still be good?
    Run them or as cheap as they are, install new ones?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What would you do if it were a condom? Bad wheel cylinders could really change your life.

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I would at least take them apart and plan on installing a new rubber kit in them. Old rubber tends to stick to metal if its stored dry very long. You may take them apart and find out they are fine, but I would at least have to look. Gene

4. BJR

BJR

I say run it and watch for leaks. Should be good to go.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pull them apart then go from there would be better than asking.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

run it. its probably real rubber instead of the crap they sell us now. ever heard of new wheel clys leaking?

Truck64 likes this.
  7. I'd pop 'em open and look. I wouldn't worry about the rubber, but surface rust is a possibility. Be easy to clean out now, before it embeds in the rubber.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

New wheel cylinders are less than 10 bucks apiece. To each his own, but if it were mine I'd change them now rather than take the chance of having to change the cylinders and the shoes, and clean up the mess, after the axle is under the car.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would put kits in them they are so cheap. Recently did the same with another project that, like yours, I did the brakes on then never finished. It had been sitting 10 or 15 years so I replaced all rubber parts in the brake system including flex hoses and replaced the brake shoes for good measure. While I was at it I put on a double master cylinder to replace the single it came with. 1966 Dodge Coronet. Don't take chances on your brakes.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

Being the cheap lazy ass I am I’d give it a try first (as long as I have a dual master cylinder).

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I like to fill NOS wheel cylinders with brake fluid and let 'em soak overnight before install, Bleeding and putting them through the paces. Don't know if it does any good but it won't hurt anything.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Not sure this should be a question. Just because there in your shop doesn't mean moisture could not still creep in and started to rust. I would replace them with new. Peace of mind cost the price of two wheel cylinders .

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'll open them up and see how they look, though you guys are right in that they're cheap. Rock Auto has AC Delco Pro, Raybestos, and Wagner new cylinders for about $6.
    Prefer domestic. Anyone know off hand if these brands are still USA made? I'd rather run the 20 year old Wagner's than new China brake components.

VANDENPLAS and RMR&C like this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

With RockAuto they give you what they have on hand, from dealer closeouts or whatever. I bought 4 and they were from 3 different countries.

RMR&C likes this.
  15. Same here....and 3 different wrench sizes on the bleed screws.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree