Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum Cold Case Radiator - Chevy Truck HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mmelendez jr, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Fellow enthusiasts...

I recently purchased a Cold Case Aluminum Radiator for my 1951 Chevy 3100 Truck. The cold case website says that this is a direct fit replacement, however it is too thick and not angled correctly so it does not even come close to clearing the fan. It's worth noting that I have a Chevy 235ci engine out of a 58 Chevy so I've already installed the shorter water pump kit to give me the necessary clearance. My factory Harrison fits like a glove but this Cold Case, although its beautiful and new, doesn't fit.

Has anyone here had a similar problem with this? If yes, how did you get it to fit. Always appreciate your guys/gals knowledge.

MM

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      98.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      140.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      161 KB
      Views:
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This should be a problem for the manufacturer or seller. If it doesn't fit you should return it and get the correct rad or your money back.

3. BJR

BJR

Can you mount it to the front of the core support?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think they just flat welded the brackets on wrong. That or welded the angles to the sides and then put the tanks on the wrong ends. This is the one I bought for my 48 and the photo shows the side bracket coming almost even with the back of the radiator at the bottom. http://www.speedcooling.com/1948-1954-Chevy-Truck-Aluminum-Radiator.html It's out in my storage van and there is a big freaking snow drift beside the van so I can't go check it to see where the brackets are on it. I'm running a 68 292 and for sure don't have any extra room.
    I ran a big thick radiator from an early 50's 2-1/2 ton for years in my 48 and have two 1-1/2 ton radiators that are at least as thick as yours is and they fit in without issues. I'd contact the seller and see what the deal is.

porknbeaner likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

seems to be kind of common lately, I guess the companies that make these radiators don't have a stock one to see how it's really supposed to be made?

send it back. Try a different one. Look at pics first to make sure the second attempt does not look like the first one did.

6. Return it and get the original radiator repaired or re cored.

7. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

If i attach it to the front of the bracket then I have to modify (cut) the hood latch panel. I also thought about cutting the bracket down centerline and shortening it but thay looks like more problems down the road. Thanks for replying. I'll let you guus know what Cold Case says as I emailed them this weekend.

8. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Just cut and reweld the brackets on the new radiator

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Or sent the wrong rad.:eek:

10. squirrel

squirrel

i've bought a few different aluminum radiators for 55-59 chevy trucks, and ran into similar issues, they are not at the right angle, or offset is wrong. And they were all different from each other a little bit.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Send it back, get a different one. Odds are good it was just welded wrong. It sounds like quality control is a bit lax. Gene

12. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

The radiator that Champion Radiator sells for that truck fits.

13. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Ok. So the Cold Case radiator is made for a V8 only. It will nor fit with the factory 235 or 216 engines. Classic Industries took it back without issue. Unfortunately, on the websites, neither say it is for V8 only. A lil misleading when it says 'direct replacement'. Moving on. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

14. squirrel

squirrel

The original radiator was the same for 6 or 8

Sent from my Trimline

15. mattblack

mattblack

Mmelendez jr -- what did you end up doing? I am having the same issue. My old my Harrison 3128515 radiator fit but not the new thicker ones.

16. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

I ended up buying a new 2 row aluminium radiator from the guy at Pomona Swap Meet. The tanks are stamped just like the original Harrison radiator and kept that original look. I still had issues with the fan clearance from the later model 235. I ended fixing this by installing a fan from a Chevy 216 engine and that was the key. The fan blades on the later model 235 are more curved and were the issue since they wouldnhave hit the air foils and bottom tank. The 216 fan blades are a little flatter and give way better clearance. I can let you know the mfr. of the radiator if you like. The Cold Case got returned as I didnt know it was a V8 only application.

I'm also going to install an electric fan on the front side of the radiator to help keep the truck cool on the hot SoCal summer day cruise route. Let me know if you'd like some pictures or have other questions.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  17. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

I had similar problems with the radiator for my '49 GMC. I tried several brands and found the US Radiator fits best.

It is worth noting that the GMC radiator fits further forward in the radiator support than the Chevy - the GMC truck engine was about an inch and a half longer than the Chevy, so the GMC radiator is recessed into the support more to compensate. If you needed and inch or two of clearance, you could run the GMC radiator in a Chevy truck.

I eliminated the mechanical fan altogether and put a SPAL electric fan on the engine side of the radiator. Here's a foto of my fan and shroud on my '49 -
    [​IMG] .
    And installed in the truck-
    [​IMG]