Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Premier Patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 8, 2019.

1. While not a big fan, I don't have a problem with primered cars; after all, it is a paint job. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find somebody here who hasn't driven a car with at least primer spots on it at one time or another. If you want patina, it's a good way to get it as primer usually ages faster anyway.

But it's a far cry from blotchy, patchy remnants of a originally decent paintjob that's been neglected long-term...

jimgoetz likes this.
  2. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

100% Real Patina !!! AsFound103.JPG

3. mountainman2

mountainman2

Another patina fad picture.......Clint Bowyer's helmet today in NASCAR race at Daytona. Better gitcha one! o_O
    clint boyer helmet.jpg

4. If you needed proof this is a fad, there it is.... ^^^^

Chili Phil, Mark Yac and jimmy six like this.
  5. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

Nothing to add that hasn't been written. Lot of nice pictures in here. Here's the car now.

Attached Files:

6. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

This is my favorite car to drive at this time. By the way, what is the record for most comments on a topic?

Attached Files:

7. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Cars with genuine wear and tear or even rust just have more character...my eye has always been drawn to them over similar cars with perfect paint and shiny bits. Not a big fan of the faux patina movement but its just another facet of the hobby.

RustyDogg, scrap metal 48 and Blues4U like this.

8. I like old weathered cars. I don’t know why, I just do. Especially original paint. I like the honesty and soul they have. I’ve owned a LOT of beaters over the year. I like the challenge to bring them back to life and try to make them look the best they could wearing the clothes they have on. They tell a story. I know some guys don’t like or understand that, and that’s ok. I hunt out the best examples of cars and trucks I like, that looks like I can do something with them. I’ve owned more old or original paint cars and trucks than I care to admit, but everyone was some sort of challenge to me and made me happy.

My roadster is in primer only because I just didn’t have time and funds to paint it back when I first got it on the road. I make upgrades and changes every year on it, and do plan to paint it someday, but I’m not sure when that will be. I’m not too worried about it right now. I have a lot of fun in this car and don’t have to worry much about it. My son crashed his bike into it the other day. Oh well.

E8BEC310-EB65-493A-913D-A1DF59A309A5.jpeg

This 46 I bought flat black and spent a lot of time cutting/buffing the paint and it’s a presentable car now. Its a 10 footer. It’s kind of a “yawn” car to me. I have to clean it every time I want to drive it. Maybe I’m just lazy?
    8C5ADC50-817E-4078-B6E6-026208192685.jpeg 04015247-1B99-4AB2-A063-839F91F5CD3C.jpeg

This truck was my last “original paint rehab”. I put a ton of time and labor into it. I could have probably painted it for close to the work I put into wet sanding the primer and paint off, buffing, and revealing the original 1959 paint. But I love old trucks with old paint. I just sold it, and replaced it with another workhorse sporting original paint that I can’t wait to get it home and clean it up. It’s soothing to me, I love the work involved and the results. I love the challenge

0670481E-DFE4-4446-AA3C-68144BA56BE7.jpeg
    55B657F2-AE34-4C3A-881C-F932EA96F059.jpeg

This car is a kind of a piece of shit in terms of finish. It has surface rust and stains, exposed body filler and layers of paint. I’m not sure what I will do with it. Part of me wants to leave it for a while , because how many 34 Fords look like this? Maybe I’ll just spray bomb it primer? Maybe I’ll paint it? It don’t matter, it makes me smile and it’s paid for, so who cares?

7EE1E75E-0D97-407A-BA05-22D8BF165E83.jpeg
    831C5434-433B-490A-841F-7DDF74826243.jpeg
    F8FF9734-7E9E-46C9-9338-E5C279BDF3B1.jpeg
    2C3401F5-BD71-44DF-AEAE-81C2E59B5FD6.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. DRD57

DRD57

Thanks for the interest and comments on my old green beater. When I first got the pile of parts that is now that car I had no intention of building a "patina" car and no idea that it would spark such interest and controversy. My desire for a roadster was something like this car which I now own too:

Jun1Dump 092.jpg
    Not having the resources to build the black highboy at the time resulted in just throwing together what I had available just so I could drive it. It ended up being the most fun car I have ever owned and I'll probably never significantly change how it looks. I like the black one too but, I'd sell it in a heartbeat for the right money. The green one, I'll own until I die.

To me, hot rods are all about having fun with like minded friends, old and new. So build what you like and get out there and drive the hell out if it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wish there was a "I like the shit out of that" button on each post... Cuz I would use it on this one.

bowie, Nostrebor, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  11. Here you go Boss! :D HRP

[​IMG]

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

IM PRESSING IT

Nostrebor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. I'm afraid that one is cut and paste. :D HRP

14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I think you might have nailed it. Or at least IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

I do body & paint for a living and I can see both sides of this argument. I've had perfect cars that aren't fun to drive because you don't want anything to happen to them. At the same time, it's a good feeling to cruise in a nicely finished car. With my '61 Biscayne, I don't see myself painting it until something happens or I feel it really needs it. To me, it shows that the car has survived the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. and all of the fads of those times. It's pure nostalgia for me, I guess and at this point I feel like, who am I to change the car? my612.jpg

16. Garpo

Garpo

For me, it has to look as if somebody cares. Even an oily rag wipe down looks better than neglect.
    Paint on my 32 Mordor dates from the late '70s, has a good assortment of scratches and blisters, but at least it is clean.
    I care.
    Garpo

nochop and a boner like this.
  17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

luv them early impalas

18. I figure that's the reason it's still here.
    My similar thread of a few months ago, went from Featured to MIA , within a few hours.
    Why not just delete the offensive post, Mods?

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Apparently, my hypocrisy knows no bounds... :)

20. Patina cars are popular because they appear attainable to the average enthusiast.
    Not a big buck billet machine.
    I myself like them both ways.
    I have a shiny one that I like to keep spotless.
    I am rebuilding my next one & not doing paint or body(exc. the rust holes) on purpose.
    This will be my summer daily driver.
    Just get in & drive, rain or shine.
    That & I don't have the approx. $10,000 for body & paint.

BLAKE likes this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call it what you want but it's still rust unless fake on a glass car.

jimgoetz likes this.
  22. lucas1946merc

lucas1946merc

Patina = lazy owner. Paint the car

Chili Phil and bdynpnt like this.
  23. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

32 at Sanford school 2018.jpg Guess you can call this patina. It's the original paint on the body, doors and grille shell. Fenders did not come with the car so they are done in flat black for now. The car sits on an aftermarket chassis for safety reasons. Wheels are real Halibrands. Although I have had several high end paint job cars this one draws a crowd and has been the most fun to drive.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  24. John Starr

John Starr

I kinda recall Jay Leno had some quote about his philosophy of restoring a car up to 100%, then wearing it out 100%. Who said you can't have your paint and patina, too! :)

jimgoetz likes this.
  25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I see so many attempts at being cool these days I almost want to be a nerd. You can believe this or not but around here Tractor collectors are doing fake Patina to make them look old . But the kids really love the Cartoon cars, diesel engines , shifters mounted on the headliners, give me a break. Will it phase out and return ,probably not ,just think ,vans may be the next Rat Rods.

26. Or, it may just be that that "lazy owner", may have several cars, and prefers to have one that he digs just for the obvious history and time frame from which it comes, battle scars and all an un-restored driver.
    To claim an owner of a patina car is lazy, is just lame, and without any possible facts to substantiate that claim.
    It's perfectly fine/acceptable to not like a certain car/style of car, but to call the owner of said car lazy, is ridiculous.

Twodees, aerocolor, RustyDogg and 8 others like this.
  27. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

I work many hours of overtime, saving every extra dime I can, only working on the car at night sacrificing sleep, all while making sure my family never goes without. Focusing on making the car run, drive and stop safely. By no choice of my own body and paint are low on the priority list. I fail to see how this makes me "lazy".

28. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Ok guys, Patina , no patina, rust, paint jobs, whatever floats your boat but please stop the $10000 paint job talk. Yes you can pay that but don't keep saying you have to. I just went out and looked at my records on my roadster. Total materials for paint reducer and hardener = $194.16 PPG OMNI. Lets add maybe $500 for filler primer sealer etc. and I know that's way high. Add another $300 for sand paper, tape, compound etc. and that's also high. Were at $1000. Call me a liar and add $500. Now we have $1500. Granted I did all the labor my self but were still a long way from 10K. Oh by the way this was shot in my 2 car garage with a 5 horse craftsman compressor and a $69 Eastman gun. DSCN1199.JPG

29. Resized_20190208_003844_1171.jpeg This was painted 30+ years ago & has some issues that I will address but it will never see a full repaint.
    It was restored by family, which I think is pretty cool.
    Once it is running & safe I want to drive it as much as I can.
    Not really concerned with shiny & perfect, just safe & reliable.

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So was this one. I can guarentee there wasn't $500 in all of it. Color sanding and buffing for a non painter just takes a little longer.
    Wold Final 2009 005.jpg

Squablow, a boner, GuyW and 2 others like this.