Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aldixie, Aug 31, 2014.

1. aldixie

aldixie

Hi Guy's,
    I have just purchased a 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville. It has been sitting in a Pick a Part yard for about 3 years. Nothing is missing on it as it was fenced off in another section.

It was last running approximately 5 years ago and when it gets delivered next week I am planning to wake her up. I'm looking at changing all fluids and hooking up a temporary gas tank. Now here's the problem, what type oil and weight should I use for the motor (365) and transmission. I was going to order some of the Lucas Hot Rod oil and mix a quart of mystery oil in with it. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks,

Alex

Attached Files:

Bleach likes this.
  2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sure, that'd work...just make sure the oil you choose has zinc in it.. Another good brand is Rotella...it'll state "diesel oil" on the label but don't let that fool ya...you must run oil that has zinc in it in an older engine nowadays.

As for a temporary "tank" a five gallon can on the passenger's side floor with a rubber hose to the fuel pump works well IF you plan to try to drive it...and remember the optimum word here is "temporary"...

R-

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

R, I think the new Rotella no longer has zinc in it. I think tier IV diesel emissions standards put an end to that.

If you want oil with zinc (and you do), look for Valvoline VR-1. It comes in lots of different weights and you part store might have it in the back in 10w-30.

4. aldixie

aldixie

I ordered some of the Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil today at OReillys. Along with the new oil and fuel filters. They had the points cap and rotor in stock.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was wondering if you had gotten it. Congrats and good luck!

6. aldixie

aldixie

Yep I did. They are going to deliver it next Saturday. Have a birthday party to goto later that evening so will start playing with it Sunday. Just getting everything ready so that I can get stuck in.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Rockable, but your statement is not true...Rotella still has zinc in it. I was worried when I went to get myself some for an oil change a year or so ago and couldn't find 'regular' Rotella. I bought the diesel and checked the label for the manufacturer's info...I then e-mailed them and asked about it...the tech on the other end sent me: "Don't let the diesel label fool you, it's still the same oil, zinc included." That was good enuff for me...I've been using it in my Caddy ever since with no problems.

R-

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stand corrected, Roger. But since I like running 10w-30 and the Valvoline states on the label that it contains zinc and phosphorous, I will keep using it.

I do believe that Shell reduced the zinc and then they quit listing it on the container. I assumed they had quit putting it in.

olscrounger likes this.
  10. txturbo

txturbo

I just use Castrol 20-50 in both of mine and dextron atf.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. aldixie

aldixie

Well I sold this car 4 years ago and regretted it ever since.
    It just came back up for sale and so I’m buying it back. It has a bad front seal leak on the transmission so looks like I’ll be pulling the transmission to do a re-seal.

VANDENPLAS, Bleach and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. txturbo

txturbo

I remember.....my 56 has the same problem with less than 250 miles on a rebuild.

13. aldixie

aldixie

The car has been sitting in a warehouse for a few months. He went to move it on to a trailer today and it started leaking. I was wondering if a 59 Caddy transmission would fit it as I know where there is a fully rebuilt one I can get pretty cheap. I had heard the 56 one was the first year of the Jetaway and they improved it as it went on.

Bleach likes this.
  14. txturbo

txturbo

I don’t know for sure. It’s tricky because they made so many changes even within the same model year. It’s possible but you would probably have to use the flex plate and all the torus parts from the 59

15. Should be the same from 56 to 59. They went through a lot of changes from 46 to 55. The 56 to 59 should have a 15 bolt pan. 60 is different so make sure the 59 is really a 59 and not a 60 or newer. That one has a 14 bolt pan.

aldixie likes this.
  16. aldixie

aldixie

This is the transmission I am looking at.

Attached Files:

Bleach likes this.
  17. The tag does say 59 on it so it may be one but I'm not an expert on their tags.
    Best to count the pan bolts.

18. sololobo

sololobo

coolsville, never met a Caddy I didn't like

19. aldixie

aldixie

I did find out that it won’t work. So I’ll be on the lookout for a spare transmission to build. 1956 is one of those one year only.

Bleach and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. That's too bad. I hope you can find one that is rebuildable and won't cost a fortune.