Register now to get rid of these ads!

please identify this frame chassis and 2dr sedan body. Not ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChromePlaterJosh, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

This stuff is on an inactive junkyard owned by my grandfather. The pics of the chassis and body are the only automotive prewar stuff there. About 15 years ago my dad bought the place, and the chassis and body were there already. They haven't moved in that time and nobody knows what brand or year they are. In fact, I am the only one who cares enough about them to go throught the effort to find out.

I have more pics, and if you want I can get you a fullsize pic. Most of the ones shown are only 20% of original size.

The chassis has an extra fron axle assy sitting loosely on top. It appears identical to the axle assy mounted on the frame, except the loose axle assy has brakes (mechanical, I think) on it, the mounted one does not.

It is obvious this chassis was used as a farm trailor in the past. Check out the attachment mounted on the center of the front axle. Also, the rear axle has the remains of a wooden block that appears to have made the rear suspension almost rigid.

The construction of the rear of the frame makes me think this was a car, not a truck. My largely uneducated guess is Chevy, but I have very little confidence in that.

Any ideas?

Now the body is about 40 feet away from the chassis, and may not match the chassis at all. I have no idea really. In years past, we just figured it was the remains of a Ford Model A 2 dr sedan body. But it is clearly not Ford. What really gets me is that the doors open suicide style. Weird for a 2dr sedan, no? There is no cowl to be seen, I looked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body pics coming soon...

Attached Files:

2. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

More pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. butch27

butch27

If it's in Indiana I'd say the body "might" be a Studebaker sedan.??

4. madpole

madpole

i am thinking chrysler

sport fury likes this.

5. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

It is actually in MI. Almost all my family lives in MI, and my parents and I were born and raised there. Thanks to Thankgiving (get it?), I was visiting family and got time to go through the family junkyard.

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The Hub Cap Definatly Chrysler.

Hard to tell from the pics, Frame stuff sure looks like '23~'26 DODGE

I know by '26 Chrysler had Juice Brakes.

I have had '24 & '25 Dodge Frames & used a '26 Chrysler Frame under my My Model A Sports Coupe.

The frames are REAL close so your pics only say its Dodge or Chrysler.

And the Cap is on an Extra front end not attacxhed to the Frame.

Look on the side of the frame, Pass Side behind the Shakle ... Should be a Vin # there ... OR
    on top of the Cross brace about where your Ass would be if sitting in the driver seat.

My Chrysler had NO vin # on the frame in '26, My '24 & '25 Dodge had a vin # by the shakle

If it were me id have that Shit Home alredy.

I LOVE them Early MoPaR Frames !!

I dunno if that body is for the frame ..... Are the doors suicide ?

Don't know of any '20s MoPaR's that were a 2 door sedan with Backwards doors .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. mattfink

mattfink

I say the frame is Hupmobile, just a guess might wanna search one to see if i am right!

8. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Thanks DE SOTO!

I had all but excluded Chrysler because of the lack of brakes on the front, and mechanicals being on the rear. Apparently I need to think earlier.

You are right, I need to get the thing home, it appears to be very straight. I wish I could have gotten measurements, but of course, no tape measure in a borrowed car.

Fortunately, very few people are allowed in, and the ones who are allowed in have already seen the stuff and could care less. Lots of Muscle car guys in the family, not too keen on prewar stuff. My grandpa likes talking about the prewar cars, partly because he has memories that are prewar, lol. Lots of cool stories I should get recorded if he would let me.

He told me I shout put the big GMC six in my 48 Chevy; "that's what they did with those old Chevies back then." Sounds expensive to do it today though.

edit: The doors on the body are definitly suicide, the hinges are holding them on.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

They are a BIG frame, I Pinched the Back ... Spread the front ... Cut off the rear, & shortend Mine to fit it under Model A.

But in the end, I have 107" wheels base & a Stock Fire wall With a DeSoto Hemi.

Ended up Only 1" longer than a Duece wheelbase & a WAYYYYY Stronger frame for that Heavy MoPaR Boat Anchor.

10. Steve in NJ

Steve in NJ

I would go with Dodge or Chrysler also. Parallel front springs would remind you of a GM product, but Chrysler/Dodge had the same thing. They also had suicide doors and wood wheels. My guess is Dodge...
    Steve in NJ

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"This stuff is on an inactive junkyard owned by my grandfather."
    (An inactive junkyard is something I don't see in Socal!)

How cool is that? Tell us what else he has. Did you haul the sedan home with you?

12. 5756r

5756r

I'm thinking a 1929 Chevrolet, body included. By my Automobile Encyclopedia, Suicide doors started in the late 1916 to early 1917 and it was Buick.

13. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

The body is late 20's Essex, the frame I'm not sure about.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Mazdaslam might know .It kind of looks like a frame he used

15. titus

titus

im thinking essex body also, my buddy has a tudor and coupe.

JEFF

16. pm wheelkid to id the wheels on it.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The body is a 26-27 Essex due to steel construction and long single roll hinge. The Hudsons were still wood construction.

Check the rear springs. If they are mounted wider at the rear than at the front it is a Hudson/Essex frame of some year. Hudson?essex mounted their rear springs this way to serve as anti-roll device as well as suspension, fronts were mounted parallel.
    The 26-27 Essex has a large reinforcement riveted under the frame rails on each side so it is not that, but may be earlier.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  18. Well worth having if the frame is an Essex - stout and strong, it used to be the way to go pre-war.

19. Hubcap on the second axle is definately Chrysler, we have one I had ID'ed on the AACA forum a few years ago, same C on the cap.

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Guys,

As i stated i was not sure of the Body......

But That IS FOR SURE a MoPaR & i am 99% its a DODGE due to the lack of front brakes.

I have Fucked with enough of them to know a MoPaR frame, Contiuing to Speculate only Confuses People.

IT IS MoPaR .... AROUND '23-'27 Once he gts the VIN # and gogles Dodge Vin #s he will pi point the exact year.

21. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

So from what I have gathered here, the frame is a 20's Dodge. The body most likely a late 20's Essex.

Thanks everyone, this is why the HAMB is so cool. :D

Anyone else with more ideas or stories feel free to share.

Most of the cars there are 70's-90's, as it has been a drop-off point for family members to get rid of their worn out junk cars without actually losing them. There is also a lot of general old machinery scrap, riding mowers, garden tillers, etc.

My Dad bought the property around 93-94? The main building up front he used to start his first plating business. When he sold it to get a bigger building around 99? he sold it to Grandpa. I'll need his permission to take this stuff. My brother and I used the yard as our personal playground for years. There used to be about a dozen old school busses lined up side by side; we would jump bus to bus as fast as possible, good memories over there.

I was a youngin unaware of the intrinsic value of the old chassis and body.

22. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I found this pic with a quick Google search. It looks like an exact match to me. Thanks again guys.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Hmmmmm...so THAT'S what they look like stock! :D
    Glad we could help, Josh!

24. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Well I let Grandpa know what I found out. He agreed to let me sell them for him. I honestly don't have a use for them (they are 5.5 hour drive away,) and don't want them to sit outside any longer. He wanted to auction them, so you know which site to find them.

Grandpa mentioned he came really close to scrapping them out years ago, but had that tiny voice tell him not to. He is one to collect lots of junk (I am fighting the same wonderful sickness.) In his mature age, he is letting things go. Last year he gave me some Pioneer brand fog lights for my 48 Chevy. I still haven't finished rechroming them though.

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

As far as the extra front axle is concerned, Chrysler wooden wheels has 12 or 18 rivents holding the metal inner hub together. The one in you pic withthe hubcap has 8. Case automobiles (yes the farm equipment Case) used a stylizes C in their logo. They were made in Racine Wisc. S it would ot be unusual to see some pieces parts in the upper mid west.

26. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

I just bought an axel just like that from a farm er in new breman ohio,,, still have it in my shed,,,,

27. stepdonn

stepdonn

hi th e body is 27 essex .would you sell the top inside part of a door

28. sport fury

sport fury

a centered top view of frame would tell much more about it's ID

29. I think it’s possible that it’s been identified within the last nine years....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. sport fury

sport fury

from what I read it was not really ever pinned downed to a specific year. I have seen many of these unknown frame posts and I have noticed that if a top centered view were provided it would tell much more about the frame.