Register now to get rid of these ads!

why you should NOT run fenton mags!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yorgatron, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalshapes

metalshapes

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, someone doesn't like the truth about Fenton's buisness motive & practices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roost, I dont care what you say about motives & practices.
    But you will have to try and find a way to talk about them without streotyping somebodys ethnic background.

I see no good coming from that, and that is why your post disappeared...

2. 1965chevy2

1965chevy2

I know this is an old post but I have new info. I was talking to GENE WINFIELD about his opinion of Fenton wheels. He said and I quote. "I never had a problem with them" If GENE WINFIELD says they are ok I have no problem using mine. The people on the internet spook so many people it's a shame. Always ask the professionals not the internet.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

3. 1965chevy2

1965chevy2

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

4. Most of this thread, 13 years old or not is a bunch of hooey in my mind. I worked in the tire and wheel business back when and the ONLY wheels we had trouble with were Cragar S/S. I broke the center out of one on the tire machine, another guy in the shop broke one on the on car balancer and then I broke the center out of two of them on the back of a 68 Roadrunner launching on the starting line at old Irwindale.
    Yet the ones on my Anglia Gasser held up to Big Block Chevy power with a 4 speed and slicks for over 40 years.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Can't tell you how many OEM Chevy ralley wheels broke racing dirt track. Used to rip the centers out
    even with 1 inch lug nuts. Better pull them ralleys off your hot rods.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Last year I repaired a fairly new (2 years old-ish) Toyota appliance for a local drivers ed school.
    A street car....not track school or anything.
    One of their teaching tools was to use a short slalom of cones in a parking lot to teach students about how much room they actually need around the car...and generally just get a feel for tossing the car about.
    This was all very low speed with students learning how to drive mind you.

One of the OEM steel front wheels fatigued and tore the center out...leaving all the lugs and surrounding piece intact.
    Replaced the fender and the school replaced all the wheels just in case.

Point being...shit can and does happen!

If you drive really hard use something designed and recently tested for that. That SHOULD be a given.
    I wouldn't pull an older wheel I liked off a car that I only cruised in, just because theres a slim chance it MIGHT fail...some day.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Lots of factors to take into account. Any manufactured product can metal fatuge. We have all broke axles, spider gears and other driveline componets by using and abusing them. The Myth busters did a segment on wether a mag wheel was stronger than a factory steel wheel. And they concluded the mag was stronger? Ive had stock steel wheels split apart at the bead portion of the rim. Putting 8 ply tires on them and running 60 PSI air pressure. I loaded the bed with a 1/2 cord of green oak fire wood and the rims failed. So now the 66 GMC has those dangerious 16 inch split rims on the rear axle.

8. As I see this thread...ITS ALL USELESS...products break,everyones product...get over it guys...
    I'd bet any one of you that a Rolex watch even has a breakage somewhere along the line,,,There are better things in this world to complain about.Geeeeezzzzz

54vicky, tfeverfred, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  9. I don't put any stock in what a guy says when his first post drags a thread up from the past which was posted by a well respected member of the hamb that has since deceased.

The guy didn't take any time to read the rules,never posted a intro and even quoted himself.

then says his info is Gene Winfield never had a problem with the wheels.

I respect Gene but just because he hasn't had a problem doesn't mean others haven't, HRP

10. mountainman2

mountainman2

Awww man. Now the price of Fentons will go back up......

VANDENPLAS and 54vicky like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my take on it :They shoulda bought magnesium Americans to begin with...

S.F., PBRmeASAP and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Tetanus

Tetanus

I work at a large outboard manufacturer and that is what they do. Haul in a bunch of scrap and melt it down.they have huge bins of different type of scrap like cans, siding and bunch of other stuff. one scoop of this two scoops of that melt it down test it adjust and good to go.Im sure that add this or that to get it right.They actually sell different alloys to other companys too.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Not many folks will see the back door practice of aluminum melting.

The casting facility can melt metal some however they generally only have holding furnaces or small melters that can melt a fraction of what they hold. A good anology for a holder would be melting one ice cube in a mug of coffee vs a melter and a tray of ice cubes into a pot of boiling water.
    The caster generally gets hot metal delivery, melted and poured into their holding furnaces.

The place that delivers hot metal or ingots has a much larger and more powerful melting furnace. They melt every damn thing, scrap, bad castings, machine turnings, floor sweepings, pop cans, siding, screen doors, front end loader scoops of scrap and mud and any other kind of crap.
    They have some PH.D. Guys who draw a sample and then determine what addatives to bring it into specs. The melting furnace has a circulator pump and drives the dross to the top. It's up to the guys to clean it off hot. Better guys are mindful that the more shit goes in cold the harder they work to get it out, hot.
    The melt furnace also has enough umph to completly vaporize things like coolant off of chips, paint off of siding-holders don't have the umph and that crap builds up on the lining of the furnace if they are lucky. If not the crap ends up in the metal, goes into the casting and makes scrap parts. The scrap parts recycle back into the holder and around it goes again until somebody cleans the dross of the molten metal.

image.jpeg

lewk, VANDENPLAS and belair like this.
  14. I don't have a clue about the wheels- never had a Fenton wheel on anything. What I found fun was going to the profiles of the members that posted way back when. Awesome to see how many still coming here after all these years. Great group!

winduptoy and clem like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

High school machine shop: Aluminum casting in my sophomore year. I had a new Moon gas pedal I wanted to do, the instructor impressed upon me that shrinkage would produce a smaller version than my original. O.K., that big Moon was too large for my #9 anyway...
    Buy the aluminum from school, make as many as you like...
    The instructor was a Student teacher, expert in casting/machining. Mr. Dick Beith, later founder/chief of E.T. Mags, and B'Ville multiple records holder...
    If a Moon gas pedal turns up that's a size smaller, it's probably one of 'mine'...LOL

slowmotion, S.F., Tman and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell for ancient thread that some fng dug up because a 13= year old thead put a knot in his undies.
    All I can say is that here in the area I grew up in and still live in Fenton 2 piece wheels had a bad rep in the mid 60's and were known for breaking. It was the rim separating from the center that was the issue. That was pointed out to me at the local gas station I hung out at when the owner showed me a broken wheel and explained why he thought it had broken. Talking to guy from other towns in the area (no internet in the mid 60's) I heard the same thing from different sources. A bit of that may have been the rough assed roads we had then and still have around here as they could beat the hole car to death at times in those days.
    On the Cragers breaking on the tire machine or any other mag wheel breaking on the tire machine that is just poor work by the guy operating the tire machine and not the wheel. I've seen several wheels that were broken on a tire machine and every time it was operator error. Usually the guy didn't use the right adapter to hold the wheel down. Had that explained to me by Fred Freeman, a fine gent who knew more about changing tires than I could ever know that I worked at the Firestone store in down town Waco with for three years.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shit. Who woke this dinosaur up?

belair, bubba55 and Tman like this.
  18. FNG just wanted us all to know that he's met Gene Winfield.:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS, belair, Mr48chev and 5 others like this.
  19. lowsled2

lowsled2
    from Florida

20. Shawnsrover

Shawnsrover

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have these Fenton wheels. Anybody know how much they are worth or what I should ask for them?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well shit first post and you want to know what your scrap wheels are worth. Those are probably worth what traffic will bear and someone will want them no doubt but they aren't even close to the two pieces ones that the thread was about. No known issue with those except that proper lug nuts are rather hard to find now unless you really know where to look.

The original two piece Fentons having a steel rim with a cast aluminum center riveted to it was the subject of the thread.
    Keystone also made a similar steel outer aluminum center wheel about the same time. Some guys around here also had problems with those but either wheel usually failed where someone was doing some seriously hard and fast cornering.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. belair

belair

I miss Tman and Yorgatron.

23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

On the same note...buyer beware...
    Some anti-sway bars on the market are NOT made of spring grade material.
    An anti-sway bar not made of spring material is just...added weight.
    Do your homework, learn the materials, and ask before you buy.

Mike

24. Deuces

Deuces

That's a laugh..... Yeah, right!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Junior H I watched as a kid. Orange #72

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

One of the best race car builders and drivers .

27. Mr Shawnsrover...DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE HAMB RULES

28. I find it funny that the original poster never made another comment in this whole thread and certainly didn't say what particular Fenton wheel just Fenton ! Those wheels the new guy posted certainly ain't scrap and shows your lack of knowledge on them to say the least. I've been over 125 mph several times on Fenton wheels and know plenty faster guys than me on them, somehow they even hold up to wheelies.
    Lots of bs in a thread that doesn't even say what they're talking about other than one guy saying I assume you are talking about the 2 piece rim, then guys commenting about his comment, not the op's comments.

29. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Probably due to the massive torque and HP of a MoPar that A Chevy can’t match ;-). MoPar = Wheel shredder :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Terrible80 and blowby like this.
  30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

And Lord knows you would never run them on a FoMoCo product, they will just shear the center out of them in the bleach box :)

65pacecar and blowby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.