Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

I guess I have never studied the factory build numbers but 43 airbox cars I find to be very impressive. To go from a first generation of 53-55 cars with little performance offerings (other than 55 V-8s) to basic race cars (airbox) that could compete on the road courses, shows that Duntov's presence was well worth it.

I wonder how many original 283/283 cars did survive and then how many of the airbox cars still exist?

And of course always like to see Baron's 57. I could spend more time appreciating his 57 than a 283/283 car. I guess my earlier exposure to Vette drag cars gave me an incurable affliction.

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, yeah!.. :)

loudbang likes this.
  7. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Baron like this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I received this pic from a friend. This car was owned and raced by a fellow
    named Bob Danuser. The photo was taken in the Atlanta area, most likely
    around 1990.

Z KJ Corvette.jpg

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

[​IMG]
    Just to clarify, this one was a factory 245hp glide car. When this picture was taken it ran as a 250hp glide car. When I rode in it down the track in the early 90’s it was a 283hp with a 3.11 low sag 4spd.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Speaking of airbox vettes here's Tom Parson's 1 of 1 56 fuely airbox.
    100_3281.jpg 100_0693.jpg

11. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

And a dam nice car too.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can you imagine the "scope" of the Corvette racing program and subsequent offerings for production had the front office "suits" allowed Zora to proceed as he had wished.

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug you are correct but more than that GM was led by Harlow Curtice during the 57 era and in light of the tragedy with Mercedes at Lemans where many were killed they felt it best to curtail racing, sadly and they signed on to the AMA ban on racing. More than though was Frederic Donner who was an accountant who took the reins as Chairman of GM and was responsible for stifling the racing efforts of Duntov and others who worked at GM. During the era of his rein starting in 58 and running through the 60s when GM innovated some pretty good racing "stuff" Donner made sure it was kept under raps. I have little use for the fool if the truth be told.

Bowtie Coupe, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree with Scotty that Tom Parson's 56 Vette is pretty cool. Tom is also very knowledgeable and shares his knowledge on the repair of these cars. Some guys are familiar with "airbox" cars and some are not. In 57 Corvette on the 43 cars as mentioned above (I had no idea there were that many prior to this thread-never really researched it) GM supplied the 43 with airbox air cleaner ducting to supply cool air. All of the other non airbox fuelies were pulling in hot air available under the hood as opposed to cool air from the front. You can see what I believe is a metal box that Tom fabricated (as there were no airbox cars in 56 (although there were some pretty cool and sophisticated SR-Sebring racer cars in 56). The original airbox fuel ducting were fiberglass and I am including one of the fiberglass units in a pic as well. In addition to the airbox ducting under the hood there were some ducting tubes through the rockers to the rear brakes and elephant ear shaped pieces for the front brakes (when I bought my avatar car in 82 there were some of these pieces in the 8 or so large boxes that came with the car, although none really belonged to my car). The brake backing plates and shoes were different and a few other items. Always thought the effort to outfit these cars with these parts were a step in the right direction to making them a bit more competitive on the track. Sadly some of the panty-waisters at GM did not agree from then on.

As others may attest to, the under hood heat on these cars is a problem-how big a problem is probably up for debate but I made a few changes to alleviate some of the heat that my standard air cleaner was pulling in as available air. I of course am running a non original Holley and I also changed the bottom metal pans at the base of the engine compartment to allow some of the hot air to escape and then I fabricated a ducting ram air setup to pull in cool air. Once again it may be up for debate as to whether it works to perfection but I like the look of it and it avoids the hot air of the engine compartment.

Funny story is a number of years ago I went to the 50th anniversary show of the Corvette Club of Michigan and entered the stock class (the guys looking at the car when I entered kind of said to enter stock so I said why not as it is not too far from stock). I was surprised during the show as two different Corvette guys from a different generation called my car a fuelie and thought the ducting was cool. It caught me by surprise that I did not correct them but just chuckled to myself. I ended up winning two trophies, first in class and another trophy for Chairman's Choice. The guy next to me with a much more stock car asked me how I won-in a nice way but I just told him "I don't know" as I was shocked myself-as I have an upstance and Cragars with pie crust slicks etc. For kicks I had uncorked my headers prior to the show and there were not many people there when I pulled in but I got more thumbs up when I left then I expected-more for the racket than the look in more likelihood.
    Airbox-Corvette4.JPG
    My fiberglass ducting on my black car.
    102_0056l.jpg

16. loudbang

loudbang

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB cool pic of Doug Hooper in the 1963 Z06 that he won with at Riverside in October of 1962. There was a three hour race that was to kick off the Cobra-Corvette battle. I believe the Cobras broke but this car raced in one other main race which I believe was at Daytona and Duntov was working on the Grand Sports which Hooper drove but the plug was pulled on any official racing and/or parts, cars etc and the battle was not quite what it could have been had the Chevrolet racing program been allowed to continue. This picture of Hooper was the beginning of the end in a sense. I believe the car was sponsored and prepped by Mickey Thompson.

19. noboD

noboD

Is that Mickey at the driver's window?

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I believe it is. Here is a cropped/lightened photo. Hooper-4.jpg

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Jim get off your butt and write a book will you. LoL

Put me down for two copies.

bald1, jammer, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I guarantee you that I would buy a Jim Dillon book.

23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

24. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Me too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jammer, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I never really thought I had enough research info to do a thorough job but I will get working on it. The last real writing I did was when I was fighting cancer but I don't want to have that joyful experience repeat itself so I can write. I would really like to do a decent piece and fill in the blanks of what I seem to have in scores of files. Will work on something in my spare time. Anyone know where I can get the NHRA race results (including eliminations) for the 50s, 60s and 70s-that would be a big help for sure? If I even knew of a complete archive of National Dragster it would help if I could not find the actual results in some detail.

27. loudbang

loudbang

There is at least one thread on the HAMB with a years worth of race results I THINK I remember it being 1965. Can't think of a way to search for it at the moment. And one guy in the Jr. stock thread who collects races results on them.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Something like this Jim, covers 1955 through 1967.
    Not just gassers.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasser_(car)

Bowtie Coupe, Deuces and jimdillon like this.
  29. 492DC80E-5B70-431D-82BB-2EE54DA1D435.jpeg Making Monday Fly By...