Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Emergency/park brake - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Hand Brake", for people on both sids of the fence?

2. After experiencing a brake failure in a early VW I vividly remember mashing the button on the Hand brake with my thumb pulling hard to bringing that bug to a anticlimactic stop, I became a firm believe on using dual master cylinder after that thrill. HRP

3. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy, the first thing I did to Randy's '40 coupe after I bought it from him was to re-install an emergency brake system. It had no oem brake handle, and the cables were non-existent (they had been chopped off at the red dirt filled rear backing plates). I had learned the value of an e-brake in 1963 on my first '40 (2dr sedan) when a rear wheel cylinder blew out while cruising the "main drag" in my hometown. I limped the car to Rebel Hill's service station on Linden St. with the e-brake and got it taken care of. For the coupe, I found a e-brake handle on eBay and the needed cables at Dennis Carpenter's and was driving more confidently shortly. They are called emergency brakes, not parking brakes, for a reason.

vic

olscrounger and The37Kid like this.
  4. Danny, both my 36 Chevy and 36 Ford have hand brake levers from "Gennie Shifter". The one in the Chevy mounts to the Gennie shifter frame work and I made up my own cables to connect to the stock cables on the 10 bolt. On the Ford , I fabbed a bracket that bolts to the X member to locate the assembly and I bought their cable kit for the hook up. I think that the G S brake handle would look best in your 32 , looks close to original. I'm not sure if their still available, its been a while since I built the cars. Mitch.

5. mkebaird

mkebaird

I use 1st or reverse and clock the wheels in my high compression SBC powered avatar.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Comforting.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used Lokar cables and foot pedal from a GM van on my 32 . My 37 I had a 9 in with rear discs , I used Mustang cable 1 piece made a loop and 50 Chebby hand under the dash . Both of them passsed the Safety 23 standards no issue , car would not move forward when applied . Rear disc Park Brake , not near as good as drum to me . My everyday later model driver (79 Power Wagon) will hold the truck in forward motion , rear motion it’s like non existent , a wheel chock is my friend on a 7000 piece of metal that will cause the effects of a train wreck . I need to design a pinion Brake . Do what ever it takes to be safe . To me I get more bang for my buck knowing I can stop vs. going fast .

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Set up the drive train for my bud, '23 T bucket. Found a foreign car E-brake handle, lever, and bracket...with a 2 foot shielded cable attached.
    I mounted the handle in front of the drivers seat pad, horizontal to floor...crossways, left to right. Mounting at center of floor, handle at left; shielded 'A' cable routed under floor to center member, anchored to gusseted bracket.
    Loop cable from 8" rear drums attached to flexible 'A' cable at center cross member.
    Handle was in front of drivers crotch, when pulled up simply step over to get out of car. Otherwise, handle lays flat just above floor. Emergency handle can be pulled up from drivers side of car, also...

I have a nice '50 Merc chrome 'Tee-handle' for my '27 Highboy, left side under dash.
    Final 'drive-ability test' at my shop was to ascertain that the Emergency brake would lock the rear wheels. That means skid going forward.
    Not difficult to achieve with solid mounting of handle and brackets...and SIMPLE geometry.

9. The emergency/park brake handle is installed but it's not hooked up yet, I figure after the interior is finished I'll take the car over to my pal Earl and get it on his lift to install the cables. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I decided to place mine right behind the shifter in my 32', shit hits the fan, it's a quick pull back and hang on! Lokar handle and cables back to the big Ford drums on my quick-change!

olscrounger likes this.
  11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Here in Mass. the inspector will engage the parking/emergency brake, put the car in gear and apply some gas and the brake better hold or you won't pass inspection

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used the original in my 37 Chevy p/u,made a bracket to attach it to the T-5

Attached Files:

David Gersic and mkebaird like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything I own that has four wheels on the ground has a parking brake.

Everything that I have ever built with three, or more wheels on the ground (and one with tracks), has a parking brake.

I won't build a vehicle without one, nor will I work on one without one.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Transfer case parking brakes are a thing. PM me if you want some details.