Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn or in this case, garage finds still exist!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Amercian Iron, Feb 8, 2019.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Wash it, get it driving, enjoy it for many years

2. Nice score, in great shape too. You have lucked out by finding THE quintessential, most desirable collectable Chevy.
    You know that these cars MUST have a Muncie 4 speed in them or its a sin, right?

3. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

The car came to me from close family friends. I rode in it as teenager in the early 1980's. The reason it was parked was due to being backed into at a stop light and the grill emblem getting broken. The owner drove it to where it was stored and parked it and refused to take it out again. His fear was someone else would hit it. Fast forward 33 years and he is now in an extended care facility and will not be leaving. The garage it was stored in was at his mother's house who passed several years ago and now the house is to be sold to help with his care. They knew I would take care and preserve her, so it was passed onto me.

4. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

The red is a repaint, and yes, it was done very well. I have not had time to really go over it due to helping with other vehicles that needed attention due to neglect because of his health issues. Still a lot to do, and they are an hour's drive away so it eats a good part of the day traveling back and forth. If memory serves me, I think it is a three speed, but not completely sure. Engine compartment is pretty rough, so will be awhile before I can address trying to start it. Brakes are there in name only. Replaced the vintage red-line tires with a new set of tires so I wouldn't have to be constantly dealing with flats, and got her tucked into my little shop for now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am jealous but happy they gave it to you totaled care of.

6. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Some interior shots. IMG_2853.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG IMG_2855.JPG IMG_2857.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2861.JPG IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2868.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  7. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Engine compartment.

IMG_2863.JPG IMG_2864.JPG IMG_2865.JPG

Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  8. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

This 1973 pick-up also got to come home with me. It is too far gone as far as body rust goes, but it does have a 350 in it, which I am sure I can find something to do with it...

IMG_2851.JPG IMG_2852.JPG

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great that this happened - so often there is not a Family member to take a old car that needs work - with your history with car makes it even more important - Thanks for sharing

Outback, Stogy, OLSKOOL57 and 4 others like this.
  10. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Great Score!! Thanks for sharing. Good Luck with it.

11. What a beautiful find. I am happy to learn that the car went to someone that had a previous connection with it.
    Bob

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How is it you aren't sure what the transmission is?
    With that shifter being offset toward the driver side I'm betting it is a three speed.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you intend to put a 350 in it to get it moving quickly. Be sure to keep that engine for the future. That car will be a lot more valuable with the original engine back in it. Great car. Lucky man.

14. pkhammer

pkhammer

I'm not a Chevy guy, but the '57 Chevy BelAir is one of my favorite body styles ever. Great find!

15. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Because I have done nothing to it except wash it and get it off the trailer and into the shop, I have not even sat in yet as I have been very busy with all the other stuff I am trying to help her with and I wanted to get it off the trailer under cover before the snow came...so that is why, more important things needing attention than figuring out which transmission is in it.

16. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

If the 350 goes in, then that was my plan. I also have not been able to go through the garage it was stored in yet as there are numerous tires stacked with things under them, I seen a pair of BBC heads poking out from under the pile.

He never seemed to throw anything like that away, so maybe the original tranny is buried under there somewhere. Now that we have snow piling up and supposedly more in the coming days, it will be awhile before I can get back down there to look!

17. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Wow, Nice find, lot better shape than mine. I found this Conv. last summer after a distant friend told me about it a few miles from my home. It was in a pole barn. Will watch to see how your's comes along, good luck with it,

Attached Files:

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Also glad it stayed in the family, especially to someone that will take care of it, drive it and not just cash out on it.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Great find! Though I'm more of a Ford guy, I'd own a '57 Chebbie in a heartbeat. Subscribed to see where this goes.

20. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Nice!! Amazing what is just sitting around in places!! Gives you a completely new opinion when you drive by an old barn or building and can't see what might be inside, can really fire-up the imagination!!!

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the looks of the rust on the engine, you got it out of that garage just in time! Great find.

22. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Yeah, I really haven't been able to give it the full once-over, we still have to find the keys for it. But was looking at the trunk and it looked like the old master-key, flathead screwdriver might work, and it did. That is why I have a few pics of the trunk pan, hoping I get lucky and the floor pans are just as nice.

Sad to see the engine in that condition, especially since it used to run so well and he did take good care of it at the time. I think my main focus will be on the few areas of rust-through on the body, although at first glance it looks like those will be minimal.

More to come as time and weather permit, as we have about 7"-8" of snow this morning and more falling and my shop has neither heat nor insulation...before I got old, that kind of stuff didn't bother me!!

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good story, great find, enjoy your project...

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

25. Are you sure it was "originally" Inca Silver? If someone changed color they sure went to a lot of trouble of repainting the trunk and engine compartment in red.

26. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Yes, I am certain. In addition to the cowl tag confirming it was originally an Inca Silver exterior, he was the one who did the paint job and also converted it from automatic to manual tranny as well.

So yes, he really was that detailed in what he did, the car was immaculately maintained until it was parked for the last time, which thankfully, is why after all these years it is in such great shape.

27. Butch M

Butch M

great find congrats

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was pretty humid in that barn. Huh?

I saw one similar a few years ago. I run a dehumidifier in my shop all the time to prevent that.

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  29. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Man, that's a great find. You ought to go out and play the lottery. You've got Good Luck!!!

30. catdad49

catdad49

Don't you just love that interior (imagine it new)? I grew up with a '57 BelAir Hdtp. as Dad bought it brand new and kept it until '64. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as I know you will do it right. Thanks, Carp.