Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Feb 9, 2019.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have a slew of Chevrolet truck bell housings, and several G M CAR transmissions. Of course you know the hole is bigger on the truck B H. Anyone make an adapter to fit truck B H so i can use car trans?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, either Novak and/or Advance Adapters should have the spacer ring that fills the gap when using the smaller diameter front bearing retainer with the larger diameter truck housing. Wilcap and others probably offer them too. An online search should turn up what you want/need.

3. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. FWIW regarding Saginaw trannies I used a truck Saginaw bearing plate on a 4 spd car tranny to mate up to a truck BH so I did not have to buy the adapter ring. Quick and easy fix in my application.

Hnstray and AVater like this.

5. R Pope

R Pope

vtwhead beat me to it......

6. squirrel

squirrel

get a truck bellhousing from 1967 or older, and it will have the small hole.

BJR likes this.
  7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wow! Is there anything that you don't know about? Awesome amount of knowledge in you!! I know that you have heard it before, but thanks for always trying to help people on here out!

Hnstray and harpo1313 like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

that's one of the seventeen things I know...I just repeat it often :)

glad to help

9. That's correct, with the SM465 the front retainer was larger in diameter. I've turned down the retainers on a lathe and made up rings as well. I had a leftover piece of aluminum tubing at work at the time.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I called myself searching. But at 3:00 a.m after a 12 hr day i guess my search skills are not the sharpest. Thanks for the info.........