Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Premier Patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Painted in 1960-ish, no plans to paint it (or chop it)...

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

On my "Other 57".... I have been very tempted to leave it..... I am just not sure......

a0606317-d92a-4bef-bb16-0613caae86a8.jpg

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

Agree. I'd never spray clear over rust and welds... or even over bare metal, for that matter.

flatford8 and jimgoetz like this.
  4. I like Don...and I like his cars. The one I really liked was his model A. dondillardsAonsalt.jpg

32owner, 31hotrodguy, Malcolm and 5 others like this.
  5. Bluedot

Bluedot

Nice to see a variety of opinions on this subject. That's what I like about hotrodding. Unlike the antique restoration process, where there is only a correct or incorrect result, we are allowed to have some creativity and do it the way we want to. Great combination of art and engineering opportunities.
    My take on patina: I appreciate the talent that goes into great paint and body work, but there is certainly something to be said about not having to worry about weather, door dings, etc.. Two rides ago, I was paranoid about all that after I slaved on a good (for me anyway) paint job. Too much stress! Last ride had a so-so paint job (again by me) and I worried a lot less. Current project, I'm on the fence as to whether I'm gonna paint it at all.

6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Don't touch it!

7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

My '49 (Blocked with 300 grit, and satin cleared)
    Brother's UniBody (Blocked with 300 grit, and satin cleared)
    My '50 3100 (Just the way Mother Nature made it)

3-Driver Rear.JPG 2-Pass Front.JPG IMG_1428.JPG P1010006.JPG

8. You guys are somewhat conflicted. The HAMB claims to be about the car styles of the '40s/'50s/'60s. Nobody aspired to have "patina" then. Some of us dorked them up with primer spots, but NOBODY drove a car with peeling paint and rust showing through. The "Patina" fad is a 21st century fad and it's not even close to traditional hot rods and customs. What is IS close to are rat rods.

Sonofabob, jvo, rudestude and 22 others like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just don't understand it. I know folks love it and I am ok with it, but my OCD just won't let it go. It drives me crazy. Sorry.

In my mind's eye, I am visualizing a giant blaster stripping off 15 coats of paint, while everyone else is getting wood over 50 years of crappy paint.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

There is one constant to patina lovers rides.......and this is not an insult, just an observation.......it could be Texas sunburn, Fake patina on fiberglass, or even faded peeling paint with rust and rot holes surrounded by bubble rust......most of you guys still can't resist putting shiny painted rims, aluminum, or chrome rims on your ride.
    Too me that ruins the whole look, don't even get me started on clear coat over original patina....that's just mentally ill.

11. I believe the patina craze is just another fad. Soon it will go the way of primer spots and fuzzy dice.

BamaMav, loudbang and GuyW like this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

My 56 chevy PU is totally original Patina, it's my daily driver it goes everywhere I go, I don't give a shit where I park it . I recently sold my 57 chevy big window it had a $10.000 paint job on it...Funnily enough the 56 gets twice the attention that the 57 ever got...go figureo_O

a boner likes this.
  13. GuyW

GuyW

I like to look at "perfect" - I'd much rather look at Marilyn Monroe than the patina'd hag down the street....

14. I like mine like this, done at home, don't worry about kids or chicks leaning on car it can all be fixed, painted in garage........At car shows let the kids sit in dragster or car and let um dream.......
    20180428_080929.jpg DSC02031.JPG DSC02076.JPG DSC02114.JPG DSC02237.JPG

exterminator, 40two, louisb and 7 others like this.
  15. When my late model Ford pickup reached a certain age, the clear coat started going away. Next was the nice black paint. Eventually, rust started showing up. Patina galore! Nobody was impressed.

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

BB7EAFF3-BE64-4E4E-84F3-2D7AF20CAC08.jpeg Getting tired of “patina” that is really just rust

17. John Starr

John Starr

Fake patina/real patina... yeah. It gets interesting. And weird. I've seen lots of horrible fake patina. But I think it's like hair implants; you only notice the bad ones -- and, yes, there are good ones. Long ago I worked with a guy who had major hair implants that were... utterly perfect, and looked totally natural! I know because I knew him before the implants. Makes me wonder how many faux patina cars are fooling us.

nochop and a boner like this.
  18. AmishMike

AmishMike

The army taught me & a $7000 paint job taught my son - Rustolium & a brush covers it in color & can be used hard. A few nicks, grab the brush & new again. Saves a lot of time, money & effort on body work also.

vtx1800 and Frankie47 like this.
  19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Everybody has their opinion but patina does have its advantages. A couple days ago in the garage I had to get something off a shelf that you had to access with a small step ladder. So instead of moving the 34 around I just climbed up and stood up on the drivers side fender to access the shelf.
    1934 Ford.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Beaty, Irish Mike, joeyesmen and 12 others like this.
  20. mountainman2

mountainman2

And some could afford really good paint and some of us did what we could to get some color on the car. I remember some brush painted cars, spray bombed cars, and driveway paint jobs done in open air with borrowed "real spray gun".
    Some rode around in primer for a while but I don't recall any being rust covered.
    Anyone remember the paint sprayer attachment for the vacuum cleaner? Painted my first car with one....absolutely was not show quality or good amateur quality but there was no rust showing either.:cool:

21. IMG_3712.JPG
    I like mine, its real, don't care for the Fake or rubbed down original patina with high gloss clear......just say'in.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Muttley, Tin Lizzie, Ritzy1 and 6 others like this.
  22. ...this debate will go on forever,...it's as personal as someone liking red cars ad someone liking black cars;...to each his own, but I've loved well-worn, rusty, faded chipped paint cars and trucks since I was a little kid,..I prefer these cars because I can relate to them, but not to cars with $10K paint jobs....besides a well built "patina'd" car or truck won't fall apart in 2 years or 15 years if it's taken care of...people should just enjoy the old car hobby the way they see fit,..life's too short to bitch about something you have no control over...I just like old cars/trucks...wether they're shiny or not...
    my cars 012.jpg my cars 023.jpg my cars 027.jpg

23. I bought this 49 Packard from a local preacher for super cheap and was going to run it as-is with original drivetrain, a flathead straight 8 with 3 speed as soon as I got the paperwork straightened out. I was not able to get a title for it and sold it to a buddy who parted it out. I really wanted to drop it down, go with dual exhaust and put blankets over the tattered seats. I still have the taillights. 49packardfront.jpg 49packardLR.jpg

24. I'm guessing late model Ford pickup, looked like all the rest!! :D:p:eek:

25. 21st century automotive paint. Guaranteed patina in 10 years or less.

26. verde742

verde742

the 40 Ford Convertible that was a beaver dam, then rescued in to a 10 point car. and had the picture book to prove it, reminded me of the guy who shows up with the most beautiful wife and tells every one what a slut she was when he rescued her..
    information I really don't need or want..

somebody somewhere related George Washington's ax, he used to chop down cherry tree, the handle had been replaced, and the head had been also, but IT was the ax that belonged to George.

Those cars can only be original once, when you start replacing pieces and panels, does the fun stop? Or just change?

27. triumph 1

triumph 1

I really like the patina look but I definitely appreciate a nice paint job on cars. At this point in my life, I’d rather spend my free time putting miles on my car instead of washing, waxing & detailing it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Beaty, MBog, John Starr and 3 others like this.
  28. I just purchased a solid sun baked California 32 roadster body, it's straight and a small amount of lower rust and no floor. My idea is to fix the rust and floor, build a simple buggy spring chassis with a 283 , bronco rear, Lincoln brakes on a 4" dropped heavy axle. I'll try not to paint it and make it shine, so every body won't think it's a Brookville or glass body. Maybe I'll paint it after awhile

29. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F62E4A15-B2AC-4DAC-9A90-DF3C04ABE3CB.jpeg 3E9C67F5-1A3E-4947-9655-0A7B4FBE356E.jpeg I like cars both ways, and, have had both, painted and patina...these are my 2 current cars, started striping the paint off the sedan with razor blades with the intent of painting, but, there are lots of nicely painted sedans in our area, but none like mine, so I left it like it is. No clearcoat, just wipe down twice a year with acetone and boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50...been this way for about 5 years now and no rust and smooth as a babies butt. the F100 finish is the way I got it/just hotrod and lower. Had high dollar paint but no longer panic when some 5 yo kid jumps up on the running boards to have a look.

30. rusty valley

rusty valley

i always say, "there is nothin wrong with an old car, that looks like an old car" and besides, i am too lazy to take good care of a nice paint job

Shalamo, neverdun, 60 Special and 2 others like this.