Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cant decide, flathead 6 hotrod or v8 fuel enjected mopar????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Feb 6, 2019.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about this? From Rodder's Journal #21. This one's mated to a T-5 Scan-190207-0003.jpg

2. That one in Rodders Journal was the one that inspired me to find a finned head when I was playing mopar 6's, great hot rod....andyd

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went with a 360, AX-15 transmission and 78 Dakota rear for mine because I was going to do long trips and wanted to also have AC. Do what best suits your needs and wants.

exterminator likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not to steal your thread but I'm running a 59 dodge 230 in this thing. image.jpg image.jpg keep the six

abe lugo, exterminator and williebill like this.
  5. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I'm starting a 46 dodge pickup project and debating between a slant six or poly 318. I'm leaning towards the poly mainly because of resale potential. Since I am pushing 60 years old I have to consider how easy it will be for my children/wife, to be able to sell the truck. I think 6's are cool as hell but you have to look at things long term as well as what is practical.
    Man I would like to do something like this /6
    [​IMG]

6. What you have to ask yourself is if you are a restorer or a hot rodder. Then after you decide that your decision is easy.

none of us can make that decision for you. We can judge you and most of us already have but the final decision is easy once you decide if you are a hot rodder or a restorer. End of the day our judgment means absolutely nothing. Do what blows your skirt up and let the chips fall where they may.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Check out what Pedro from the Montana Dodge Boys, of LSR Fame, is making for the Flat Chrysler's and Dodge's

8. 5window

5window

I'd definitely keep the six. But, wait, your family would charge you retail for a junkyard 360?

9. dwollam

dwollam

Look for a mid to late 30's Chrysler 3 spd overdrive tranny and keep the current rearend. Use a '58-'59 higher compression cylinder head, unless it already has one. All bolt in stuff and looks original.

Dave

10. hkestes

hkestes

What dwollam said about the transmission. What you need is a Borg Warner R6 from a late 30s Mopar. It is even floor shift like your current transmission.

As for the 230, it can be a very dependable engine. You will not win any races with it, but with the overdrive it can run 70-75 all day long. I had a 59 model 230 in my 48 Plymouth coupe with an R10 overdrive and made several 800 plus mile round trips from Dallas to the HAMB drags in Joplin, MO. Also drove it as my daily driver in Dallas traffic for over six years. Just make sure that if you build it to run highway speeds to you build it to stop from highway speeds.

Here was my 230.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

12. 40desoto

40desoto

I kept mine...

Attached Files:

13. 40desoto

40desoto

first start after break in