Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A build, what width rear axle to use?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HotRodRyan, Feb 6, 2017.

1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

That unicorn I would love to see . . . . a 1955 9".

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I run a 1950/2 Ford flathead diff behind my 289 V8.
    It is a nice width, light weight, with decent width brake shoes and comes in a 3.7:1 ratio stock.
    Best $50 I ever spent in 1980 and still running...

Chappy444 likes this.
  3. jackalope

jackalope

If you are not too worried about a period specific axle, a great candidate is the late model Jeep Wrangler JK Dana 44. Narrow it to your exact width and have shafts resplined. Pretty much bomb proof. I have a fixture for true-ing the tubes before welding them to ensure bearing hub-carrier-bearing hub are dead true. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

burl likes this.
  4. Seems to me the Bronco axle might not be the best choice. What you really need to do is get those Speedway wheel adapters you mentioned, bolt them up to your '35 wires with the actual tires you are running, Set them under the fenders where you want them to be, and measure between them. Then see if can find a 8" or 9" car rear (4-1/2" bolt pattern that will fit the Speedway adapter) the right size. A Maverick may be close. Another thing, some times it is possible to only narrow one side of the rear, you only need to deal with one axle. If your car isn't together enough to hang rear fenders; just measure the fender width on another A.

trikejunkie and sdluck like this.
  5. sdluck

sdluck

Listen to Rich B

6. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

What vehicle is yours from? Or are they all teh same width? truck or car?

7. threewindow

threewindow

We used a S10 rearend on our 31 roadster. With the wheel support ring and the spacers you will need , It ended up just right with 35 wires.

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Since you already have as running,driving Model A , why don't you put on the 35 wire wheels and see what kind of clearance there is and adjust accordingly?

9. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

On a model A, I'm in favor of an S-10. Cheap, fits well and unless you beat hell out of it, will hold up well. Narrow enough for your wires and adapters, and narrow enough for just about any wheels you decide on. Good ratios from 3;20's to 3:72 and cheap and really available. S-10. Bill Rinaldi

pprather likes this.
  10. Your building HotRod, Why are you not looking at Quick changes? straight from Winters catalog.

upload_2019-2-8_12-58-32.png

trikejunkie likes this.