Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrome Plating Aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 4, 2019.

1. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Yup if it’s got to be chrome that is the ONLY way to get perfection. Some are saying aluminum must be anodized first but I have never heard of that and don’t think it would accomplish any good result . To my knowledge copper is the secret first step same as Show chrome on steel parts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moriarity likes this.
  2. I run old Caddy Catera [the caddy that zigs!] factory chrome plated aluminum wheels on my O/T, HHR panel. Been on there 10 years and I run them in the winter on salty, briny, roads. Chrome has held up fine.

3. Dirk35

Dirk35

I had one of those Edelbrock Endurashine intakes on my 35 Ford PU before I sold it. It is, of course, an aluminum intake with whatever that coating was, and it looked great. The intake wasn't but 3, maybe 4 years old when its coating started to lift around the water neck opening. It was a very small spot, but I knew it was there and the intake was pretty expensive.

4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shadow Creek and Moriarity like this.
  5. We struggled with chromed aluminum on our bikes back in the lets '60s and '70s. Then the electro plating process caught up with demand and a process was developed that worked. If you are getting aluminum plated go to a shop that specializes in aluminum. A good place to look is a shop that specializes in motorcycles.

A properly polished aluminum part will stay nice but it take a certain amount of maintenance. There are some tricks that we use aside from gallons of mother's polish. If you spritz them with lemon pledge it helps a ton. You still have to wipe them with good polish every once in a while but it cuts your maintenance in half at the very least.

bowie likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

The endurashine is powder coating.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Is Advanced Plating back up and running ?

8. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

I think they are saying April 2019, with a backlog of parts waiting.........Probably worth the wait. Several years ago I had a bumper they chromed for an OT car and a couple of people asked me if they could buy right it off the car.

9. The aftermarket wheel industry literally chrome plates millions of aluminum wheels a year. They are mostly off-shore or Chinese made so there are occasional issues. But taking all the factors into account, they generally hold up well. They look like chrome to me. I don't understand any of the "fake" comments.
    I use Gibbs Brand on anything aluminum, especially plated aluminum, for some extra insurance.

10. I was thinking of these valve covers as well as Corvette Fins as well. Seem the earlier the casting the better and easier it was to polish. I picked up a late casting GM restoration set of Corvettes and sent them for polishing and the casting quality made the really bad for polishing. I have heard the same thing with the LT-1's.

I laugh at that because CJ built a 327 once that had a crank that had the throws polished smooth to a super nice shine. That sucker was happy 9-10k rpm all day long.

Ive always like the look of polished aluminum even with the more maintenance it requires. Though I have been seeing more and more chromed aluminum and stainless on the indoor show circuit. Lots of tri fives and 58/59 Impala's with all of their side trim and light bezels plated.

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My chrome plater who is very experienced tried twice to plate my aluminum fabricated windshield stanchions and it wouldn't stick. Had to settle for polish. Looks great but I was looking for durabiliy

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think I will just polish them and call it good.

13. "Fake" is probably not the right term but the comment is based on the notion that if one knows it is an aluminum part that is usually polished aluminum having it chromed (to save on maintenance) makes it look out of place and fake compared to the polished piece that is expected.

14. Hey, no problem. I don't wish to cross swords with my betters. We have to use descriptive adjectives to convey our meanings. You personally think that chrome is out of place in some situations that I probably think a little differently about. I'm sure we're in agreement most of the time, though.
    Polished aluminum is something I've used often so I can't say I have a hang-up about it. One way is with polished fins and as cast, painted or sandblasted background. That contrast looks good on the right piece. Lately, I've made some custom shift knobs for my customers using sterling silver components. That metal glows more than it shines. I love the rich, buttery, satin look but it would be "out of place" in many situations.

15. I don't care one way or the other personally. I was just suggesting what I thought others meant.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app