Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have a power source for GPS when you need it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Ironically yes. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  2. LOL no no no no, I don't smoke it no more . . . [Ringo Star] :D

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Most GPS systems have a way to return. The starting point is saved.

I wouldn't leave home without one anymore. I used maps, AAA Trip Tiks and mapping programs that I printed out maps but when you are alone, it becomes difficult to watch maps, signs and traffic at the same time. GPS lets you concentrate on traffic. If you miss a turn or don't go the selected way, it adapts to a different route. In the past, I would have had to try to back track to get on my original route.

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The Garmin I bought came with lifetime map updates. You just plug it into your computer once in a while and it updates. After the daylight savings time went into effect this weekend, the clock in my newer vehicle wasn't correct but the GPS was. Why don't modern car radios use the radio signals to set themselves? All of the clocks in my house do. Maybe the new cars with factory GPS do. I had a relative with a factory GPS that failed and they wanted almost $2000 to replace it. They bought a Garmin Drive Smart for $200 instead. They also got a watch that works with the GPS to make it easy to find the car but that was expensive.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. LOL I used GPS for the first and most probably last time last fall. I had gone from my place in north central Missouri to Quincey, IL. A 2 hour drive. I headed back late and used the return feature. I guess it didn't remember the route and I was just listening and doing what it said instead of actually watching for my turn. It took me back roading which would have been cool if I hadn't been so tired. Part of which included single lane bridges and at one point 4 miles of dirt road. Effectively turned 2 hours into 4.

alanp561, ladyhrp, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, GPS instructions can be really bad. There's a saying, you have to be smarter than the GPS. One trip I was on with the wife hauling our small travel trailer, I had plugged in the address of the RV park, and it got us very close, but just about 3 miles from our destination it told me to turn off onto a dirt road. I looked at that, and thought "Nope, I aint hauling this trailer out there". I kept going on the hwy and in just a couple of miles our destination popped up. I don't know why it wanted to send us down that dirt road, must've thought it was a short cut or something. Later on we went for a drive, and I took that road just to see where it went, Holy Crap, the road went from bad to worse to no effin way in a shot distance. If I had taken the trailer down there we would've been totally screwed.

Another time I was headed from So Cal to Phoenix, I passed up getting gasoline at Quartzsite AZ because the place was packed full of snow birds, so I just kept going. The GPS told me there was another gas station further on down the road, with just a short jog off the main hwy. So I went with it, and as I crossed the point where the GPS said there was a gas station there wasn't anything within miles around. Uh oh! Crap, I knew where the next one was, and it was a crap shoot of which was closer, to go back to Quartzsite, or keep going, I decided to keep going, and I think I rolled into the gas station on fumes. Whew, that was a close one! Being stranded out in the AZ desert is not a good thing, that coulda turned out real bad.

7. The GPS was handy in Quincey. I was going someplace I had not yet been and it took me right there. Granted the distances to the intersections were way off but I don't really drive with a tape measure.

There is a tricky interchange in a little town called Palmira and that was where it got me. I was dog tired ( about midnight on a day that started @ 4:30 AM) and had I not been I would have caught it.

8. Like all of them they will offer alternative routes and you can set the route to stay away from toll roads & back roads,it all depends on your initial settings.

My daughter likes to change the voice to British and that woman's voice will drive you up a tree!. HRP

kbgreen, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thank you,hope to see you guys soon. HRP

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I always put a power source hidden under the dash for cell phones and GPS.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The last time I used a GPS I was driving the Sunliner to Daytona for the first time and needed it mainly or the speed since the speedo was way off,the ex put in the address and I knew where it was but that thing took us about 10 miles out of the way to get there.

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1965, Los Angeles city map book was so large that it was in two books. Both were about 2 inches thick. I was delivering cut marble to job sites then. PITA getting that truck up the sides of some of those mountains and through the little narrow streets that usually dead ended in somebody's driveway.

13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

A guy asks his girl "Do you smoke after sex? She replied "I don't know, I never looked!"

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  15. You are the MAN!

16. Yeah, GPS's are new school, but there's no way I'm heading into an area like Phoenix or Dallas/Fort Worth trying to read a road map while I'm driving 70 mph on the freeway system, lol. The biggest advantage though, you no longer have to worry about getting lost. I still use and keep maps to determine where I want to go and how I want to go so I can tell the GPS, but for the big cities, you'd need a trunk full of maps that would take tons of time to decipher. I recently went to Grand Prarie for a swap meet(between Dallas and Fort Worth), and was on about 6 different freeways in the metroplex area to get there. Not sure I would have survived it with a folding map.
    JFYI......."lifetime" maps is defined as the time determined by the gps company that they support a particular model GPS. It's sorta like Microsoft windows, in that once they decide not to support a particular system any longer, they just stop doing it! I recently got a notice from Tom Tom stating that maps were no longer available for my older GPS. It still works just fine, just can't download updated maps.
    I installed a 12V outlet, then added a second in my '57. I ordered late 90's Ford Ranger Outlets from Ford to make sure I got good quality ones. Didn't want the auto parts cheapies. The Ford units are seperate outlet and rubber covers, so 2 pn's need to be ordered for each. 23. ish if I remember

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My '40 Ford and my '31 roadster both have cigar lighter sockets and I also have a splitter cord just in case I want to use 2 gadgets at the same time. If I'm on a road trip of any distance, one outlet will be used for my Valentine One radar and laser detector, and the other depends on whether I know where I'm going or it's somewhere new. Also charge cell phone with it if needed.
    Always have to put the radar detector away in VA:(

18. We used the return feature on the Tom Tom for my return trip. There are no toll roads in that part of the country. The damned thing just had a mind of its own. LOL

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Thought I would add another point. In Canada, the government switched speedometers from mph to kmh back in the '70's. All the aftermarket speedos I find are in mph as well as the factory speedos in our Hamb era cars and GPS is good to tell us how fast we are going in kmh.

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Having a power port for GPS or phone charging is not only a convenience feature but a safety feature these days. On the road my wife watches the GPS and I’m able to concentrate on driving. My biggest beef is there are times when the lane change instructions can come a little late but that’s a small price to pay rather than missing the exit for the interstate.
    My port replaces the cigar lighter in the dash and is powered continuously,with phones,and I pads it’s a necessity.

21. LOL 65 is 120. That is off a little bit but that is what we used to use when I was in Mexico.

22. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

My Apple SMART phone accepts a speedometer app with an odometer feature. My son and I have attended the Kings Royal sprint car weekend in Rossburg Ohio for decades. (We know how to get there) Last year for a test when we left home (Sterling Heights Mi) I said "Siri take me to Greenville Ohio". "She" got us there by taking every back road and farm trail in Ohio. It was good for a lot of laughs. A bit of a lesson here.

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I had two in what was left of the glove box in my 40.

24. Speedhut offers speedometers in khm

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Blue One had a custom speed made to read correct.

I just added a 12 volt and 2 usbs but I haven’t got any caps for them. Need to go hunting at the corner parts store I suppose. Easy to hide them I don’t see any reason to not have a charging point.

@porknbeaner maybe you were a little tired when you went to leave and sang “country roads, take me home!”

Next thing you know you in the middle of nowhere scratching your head

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. My rod has a power port behind the dash for charging. I carry an atlas in the trunk for reference. I usually memorize the route I want to take.
    I don't like the dedicated gps. Too long of a learning curve to input info. Recently I added an app called Waze to my phone. Very easy to use once you get near destination. Give it hotel name and the voice and screen take you there. Same with fairgrounds info, restaurant info. Usually don't need specific address. It knows where all these landmarks are located.

Phil

chryslerfan55 and i.rant like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My stick it in the car GPS has earned the family name of Broomhilda for it's comments on my driving.
    I use quite often on trips but most of the time it stays in my 77 Dualie that I can't seem to keep a speedometer cable in.
    I've got a gps/chart plotter;/depth finder and who the hell knows what else on my boat but still use paper charts along with the gps.
    I bought two like this for the boat, one for the helm and one for next to the am/fm Cd player inside. https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Cigar...sr=8-4&keywords=12+volt+power+outlet+with+usb Those to plug something in to charge it or operate it. I needed one for my spotlight at the helm anyhow.
    I'll stick on in the 48 when I get ready for "that" road trip. It's either that or put the inverter in it to plug in the 110 charger for the phone.

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put two of the USB receptacles at the back of the little console I built for the '37 Chevy. Two skinny cup holders and two receptacles in console. (I'm still going with "cup" holders!)

Anyhow, someone several posts back was talking about the return feature. Most modern GPSs have a "home" feature that can be set and when that button is pushed it tells you how to get home.

In the event someone steals your car and pushes the home button it will take him/her right to your house. The thief already knows you are not home and if your vehicle is equipped with a garage door opener, then he's inside without having to kick a door. I have "home" set to the convenience store a couple miles away--that's close enough for me and I can find my way home from there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  29. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We install two in every car we do-one in the stock lighter location and one under the seat frame-come in handy when needed. Buy a new power port for the dash/lighter location and install a 40 knob on it. Doing this on a 37 woody now.
    Years ago the company I worked for gave us these little spot lights with a magnetic base. You would plug them into the lighter then set them on the roof or hood when checking for problems at night. Evidently the circuits in the vehicles were not fused properly. Caught a few on fire before we quit using them! Fuse your outlets.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.