Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which sealed beam headlights are you using in a 40 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by insomniacshotrods, Feb 3, 2019.

1. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

IMG_3164.JPG Well, what I thought would be an easy decision has turned into frustration once again. Im converting my 39 ford deluxe sedan over to 40 ford deluxe headlights and started looking at headlights. So many choices, too many choices, so thought id ask what others run. I want the look of the 6012 bulb, but wanted to go halogen with close to same look as the standard bulb. United pacific has a 30354, than the wagner H 6024, and some others for halogen sealed bulb or I could just get some 6012 again. It looks like I have to grind off the glass nipples to clear the headlight covers no matter what bulb I get. Also converting the park light socket over to a 1157 socket to have park/turn signals in the covers. Thanks for info, Eric.

2. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Also see bob drake has some with no alignment nipples to grind down at $25 each. Says nothing about being halogen so must be standard..Good Grief Charlie Brown.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

4. 42merc

42merc

I use a bench grinder with a fine grit wheel to remove the tits.
    Go slow and don't overheat. Works great.
    I use the Wagner H 6024 bulb, sourced from Wal Mart, about $7.00 each.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    olscrounger and LOU WELLS like this.
  5. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Thanks for reply and info as well 42Merc. Is it the white wheel you use? Hell I might as well try my wet tile saw to cut some tits off these broken bulbs I have, and experiment with different yours and a couple other methods. I knew as many 40 fords running around this is a major problem and I didn't want to notch the covers.

6. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Thanks Steve, yes they are expensive but don't have the tits lol. I ordered the ones from speedway to try. Maybe help a newbie out like me later on when they try to find a solution. Thanks for looking and the info.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done as 42 Merc says--just go slow or they will crack. Last two sets I took to my glass guy and he ground them-no charge.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

image.jpg Got my lights from speedway in and they do not have the aiming tabs for sure , so no grinding needed. Only thing the tip of bulb is blue so that kinda shows, wish it was gray or silver and not sure how much it will really show installed, but so far so good.

9. "Headlights","Tits", "Nipples"!!!
    For a moment there, my mind drifted off...…:oops:
    To the pics of Barbara Roufs……..

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Bob Drake has had sealed beams with the Ford logo embossed in the glass. They are a little high but to me worth it for that little detail. I hope they still have them.

11. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

image.jpg Got one light done, doing some rust repair on the other, and still have to convert the park light to a 1157 socket with Amber bulb. Then I can put these bad boys on.

olscrounger likes this.