Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage State of the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevKo, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

Not going to worry my life away on it, enjoy it while I have it, fight to keep it, pass it on if I can.

2. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_0730.JPG Same thing with model airplanes, nobody wants to build anymore so we're stuck looking at the same old foamies or 3D prebuilt planes. As long as they don"t tell me I cant scratch build anymore, I'm OK.

flyboy89, WillyKJr and rod1 like this.
  3. What I mean is this; when I was a kid I spent a lot of time worrying about the USSR annihilating the entire country and everyone dying in a nuclear holocaust. Then I worried about HIV. Then I worried about getting cancer. Then I worried about Bird Flu. Swine Flu. Then I worried about the entire grid going down on Jan 1, 2000. Now I worry about serial killers abducting my children or my parish priest. I worry about terrorists. I worry about identity theft. I’m told by the people I vote for that the other half of the country hates me and my family. I should fear sugar and fat. Red dye # 40. Global warming ending life as we know it. If I watch the evening news they make it seem like we are all going to die at any moment, like everyone is out to get us.
    “They” are coming to take my car away. “They” are coming to take my gun away.
    “They” are coming to take my money away.
    “The Polar Vortex” is trying to kill my children.

Yes sometimes bad things happen. Yes I disagree with my neighbor how the country should be run. But when I look back on everything “The Man” told me was coming to get me, nothing really has. My kids are fine. My wife is ok. We have everything we need. No angry mob has broken down my door. No one is taking my car. No one is taking my money. The ocean hasn’t swallowed up the coastline. And we are going to spend the day at my neighbors’ house disagreeing about current affairs, and watching Tom Brady kick ass all over the place.

When it comes to this hobby, we’ve always been able to buy these old cars and mess with them. They aren’t going to ban gasoline anytime soon (the OFF Act kind of fizzled out and they really just talk now about getting the electric grid off of fossil fuels in 40 years). Regulations on new cars’ mpg doesn’t affect us.

The boogie man never seems to come. I believe everything will be all right. That’s how I define “OK”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. squirrel

squirrel

You mean, the sky isn't falling? Whew....that's a relief!

(and it's what I figured out a while ago, too)

Clay Belt and WillyKJr like this.
  5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

So I guess I have nothing to worry about and can get back to playing in my Hobby Shop.

Clay Belt and WillyKJr like this.
  6. mnjeff

mnjeff

“One must have faith, Volaris, that the Universe will unfold, as it should”
    Spock

7. squirrel

squirrel

There are things that you probably ought to worry about, but I doubt "the sky falling" is one of them. Definitely, get back into the hobby shop and have fun with cars!

Moriarity and WillyKJr like this.
  8. F&J

F&J

chevy57dude, Ron Funkhouser and CME1 like this.
  9. I don't know what tomorrow holds for our Hot Rod hobby. I've enjoyed it my whole life. I know is it's been a FUN ride for me. But I just make the best of each day. I'll Drive'em as much as possible. I also like remembering the past. My kids and grandkids are the only ones I really worry about. I just want them to be safe and happy. I don't care if their Hot Rod Crazy, or not. But they really are! They LOVE my old cars. So I hope they have as much fun with them as l did.I think with all the Cool Rods And Kustoms out there. The hobby will be just fine. Ron 20180703_083909.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

yeah worry about that slightly kinked brake line! or making sure your fuel lines are tight.. ALL VALID WORRIES

Franco51merc likes this.
  11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Clay Belt likes this.
  12. big john d

big john d
    from ma

my niece told me that global warming was going to make the sun burn up the earth so i got new batteries for my smoke detectors

Clay Belt and oliver westlund like this.
  13. 55pack

55pack

I hope the hobby never dies in my house....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

55 Clipper
    55 Patrican
    55 Panama
    (Packard)

14. Hobby??.......... whats this "Hobby" shit you talk about????...........Seems more like lifestyle to this ol fart........Let the children sit in your cars, take em for a ride and they will get the feeling, and it will keep on keeping on............Pass on your knowledge and it will keep on going..................

15. News Flash! , Contrary to popular belief Chicken Little was wrong! :D HRP

1_24_3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I've been taking my grandkids to car shows and swap meets since they were 4 or 5 years old. They still like to hang with Papa and do car stuff. Hopefully it will stick. 1549224526627_0_20120713_174916-COLLAGE.jpeg 20180520_102851.jpeg tapatalk_jpeg_1543370984904.jpeg 20180602_141515.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It says 47 Cadillac..

18. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

19. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Cool, a mini Pea Shooter. Planes of Fame in Chino, CA. has a real one.

20. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

The future is bright!

Attached Files:

• 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      121.7 KB
      Views:
    Ron Funkhouser and Franco51merc like this.
  21. Franco51merc

Franco51merc

20171106_173918.jpg 20170519_163408_1495244114403.jpg
    For all you nail biting worry-ers out there. I can tell you the hobby is just as strong as it ever was. I'm 22 years old, joined the HAMB about 2 years ago.

So why can I say confidently that "the hobby" is fine? Well, I buy and sell at swapmeets all the time and there are a lot of young guys out there buying old stuff. Lot of young Hispanic guys, guys like me, love the old 40's and 50's cars. And NO we're not just making lowriders out of them. If you've ever been to a show out here in Taxifornia you'd know just how alive and well the car culture is.

22. Franco51merc

Franco51merc

My worry is finding a young gal that likes old cars, most of em couldn't care less about "old" cars, (30's - 60's). Muscle cars and newer exotics are what girls like nowadays if they even like cars at all. :(

She doesn't necessarily need to like cars, just be willing to tolerate me spending more time working on my Merc then sitting around with her. :D

Clay Belt and GuyW like this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Most of us who have married young gals who love old cars have burnt them out over the decades of our obsessiveness.
    That young woman will be attracted to you and how you treat her, not because you have “stuff”.
    Treat her like gold and she will follow you anywhere. And vise versa.

24. greener200

greener200

I feel pretty good about the "hobby" and its longevity.I grew up on a farm with old Fords scattered everywhere ,an occasional Chevy thrown in .We grew up in the 70,s-80s. We got the bug from my ol-man .Of us six kids ,4 of us have 30s Fords.My 5 kids are into it.They come to swap meets and shows .There teenagers now .teaching them how to drive stick is painful but the can't learn on a 3 speed McFarmall tractor like I did !

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. topher5150

topher5150

Find a gal that loves that you're passionate about something, and get her involved somehow.

Petejoe likes this.
  26. badvolvo

badvolvo

I think it will survive as longer than I do. However, I expect self driving cars, electric vehicles and politicians will eventually win, we will have alot of museum pieces setting around.
    A song comes to mind, RUSH, Red Barchetta. "before the motor law", "from a better, vanished time"

27. badvolvo

badvolvo

My uncle has a country place
    That no one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm
    Before the Motor Law
    And on Sundays I elude the eyes
    And hop the Turbine Freight
    To far outside the Wire
    Where my white-haired uncle waits
    Jump to the ground
    As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
    Run like the wind
    As excitement shivers up and down my spine
    Down in his barn
    My uncle preserved for me an old machine
    For fifty odd years
    To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
    I strip away the old debris
    That hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta
    From a better vanished time
    I fire up the willing engine
    Responding with a roar
    Tires spitting gravel
    I commit my weekly crime
    Wind
    In my hair
    Shifting and drifting
    Mechanical music
    Adrenaline surge...
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware
    Suddenly ahead of me
    Across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air car
    Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
    I spin around with shrieking tires
    To run the deadly race
    Go screaming through the valley
    As another joins the chase
    Drive like the wind
    Straining the limits of machine and man
    Laughing out loud with fear and hope
    I've got a desperate plan
    At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
    Race back to the farm
    To dream with my uncle at the fireside

28. the car hobby is doing themselves in. its proven every time some one posts a how much is it worth thread. trying to get the last possible dollar out of a part makes it that much harder for the next guy to build a car. ask your self when was the last time you donated a few parts to a kid starting out in the hobby. if the dream of owning a cool car seems out of reach to the next generation they will find something non car related to do. there are plenty of alternatives out there today.

29. traditional electric car builds are not that far away. take lots of pics so in 50 years we can restore the electric cars to period correct.

Beanscoot likes this.
  30. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sometimes we "RUSH" to judgment as to the state of the hobby.