Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster (2019 AMBR Contender)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

They had to notch the frame to make it clear, gotta do whatcha gotta do.
    awesome car.

2. Here's a couple of snapshots of the "Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster" from the pewsplace_logo.png Blogsite:

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Lynn Pew (1).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Lynn Pew (2).jpg
    images by Lynn (@Pewsplace) Pew

3. KKrod

KKrod

Can someone educate me on why the transmission is so large? Trying to figure it out. Beautiful roadster!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. Karl -

The transmission is not “large” ... the machined aluminum pieces you’re seeing enclose a Tremec 5-Speed transmission (with a custom bell-housing that attaches to the custom firewall/motor-plate) and the exhaust (which runs under the T-5 and above the belly pan):

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster -Transmission Under Construction & Finished.jpg

KKrod likes this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The craftsmanship on this car and the thought process is second to none with one exception to me. Having the axle infront of the grille completly turns me off. Can't help it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Outstanding car.
    It should have won the AMBR

7. Here's an excerpt from a RA logo.png article:

2019 GNRS AMBR – Rod Authority Reviews The “Rest Of The Best”
    By DAVE CRUIKSHANK | JANUARY 30, 2019

There can only be one AMBR winner.

Since 1949, winning “America’s Most Beautiful Roadster” at the annual Grand National Roadster Show has been one of the most coveted awards in the hot rod hobby. For 2019, George Poteet’s “3 Penny Roadster,” built by Pinkee’s Rod Shop, is the new AMBR King of the Hill. {...}

But, what about the other killer contenders that floored us with craftsmanship, style and creativity?

We’ve always said we don’t envy the judges of the GNRS. It takes a seasoned eye and years of experience to identify a winner. The pressure to pick the big kahuna from the best builders in the world would be a pressure cooker to say the least. We think there is a fair amount of politics involved as well. But, anytime you put a group of people in a room, there’s gonna to be drama. Hell, folks can’t agree on what to have for dinner, for God’s sake. So political skull-duggery is as predictable as darkness after dusk.

Rod Authority wants to give a shoutout to the builders and owners who sweated blood and tears to bring these cars to Pomona. You make the world a better place and we stand amazed. Thank you for your achievement and know that we are your biggest fans. We thought we’d give you a little insight into all the stupendous contenders from the GNRS AMBR 2019.

So without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the “Rest of the Best,” shall we?

:
    :

Bill Grimsley’s 1932 Ford Roadster

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Dave Cruikshank (1).jpg
    Bill Grimsley brought this 1932 Ford Roadster, built by Jackie Howerton and Steve Moal. Dubbed the “Howerton – Moal Tulsa Roadster” it created quite a sensation. Built from scratch, the details were amazing. Painted by Darryl Schneider and Mike Wagner, with a killer vintage interior by Sid Chavers, the car was period perfect. This and the “3 Penny Roadster” were RA’s picks to win AMBR.

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Dave Cruikshank (2).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Dave Cruikshank (3).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster at 2019 GNRS by Dave Cruikshank (4).jpg
    :
    :

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks Hemi32.

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. John Stimac

John Stimac

My favorite Hot Rod of all time. The best other Hot Rod that I ever saw is a distant second compared to the H-M Roadster

jll34 and HEMI32 like this.
  10. mdcolby

mdcolby

incredible car! Crazy details! Only thing I don't like is the interior color choice! Is it "purple"? Definitly a great car but the correct car won the AMBR this year

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was difficult to show the detail in the grille bar construction-the indentation of the bars for axle clearance. This is as close as I could come in showing the detail. While I appreciate what went into this touch, it seemed a bit gimmicky to me. JJ-1-2.jpg

Atwater Mike and HEMI32 like this.
  12. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the H&M roadster is similar to last years winner, I know it is not exact but it does have a similar vibe.
    WP_20180126_13_46_18_Pro.jpg WP_20180127_12_47_56_Pro.jpg WP_20180127_12_48_13_Pro.jpg WP_20180127_12_48_36_Pro.jpg WP_20180127_12_49_13_Pro.jpg

13. alchemy

alchemy

One man's "gimmick" is another man's "detail". If a car doesn't have a theme, with gimmicks or details, it will just be lost in a sea of similar hot rods. I think this car has a whole lot of cool details that draw your interest all over it. If allowed, I could probably spend a day looking at all the details and never find them all.

Jimmy B and WiredSpider like this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Just a fantastic build and I am so pleased that they included Tulsa in the name. Jackie and his Dad Angelo are legends here. Had the opportunity to set next to Jackie at a local eatery and visit with him a bit, just a nice, down to earth, guy.

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. Here's some under-construction photos from (Moal Coachbuilers' sheet metal fabricator) Troy Morris' Instagram feed:

Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (1).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (2).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (3).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (4).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (5).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (6).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (7).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (8).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (9).jpg
    Howerton & Moal Tulsa Roadster under construction by Troy Morris (10).jpg

Jimmy B likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just noticed the belt molding end, or start in the cowl for the first time. Thanks for the construction shots. Bob
    [​IMG]

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Seems like the '37 tube was a MUST, (like most of mine!) but is conflicted by the '32 shell/grille, frame horns, and rails nearly resting atop.
    Definite interruption of 'flow' here, looks like some allowances were made late in the assembly process.
    V860 tube: Gotta Have!
    '32 shell/custom grille: Gotta Have!
    Traditional frame horns: Gotta Have!
    Torsion bars: Gotta Have!

All there, but Indy Car Roadster features 'custom street rod frontal treatment'

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I mentioned it earlier that the cockpit has a lot of styling ques from a GP Bugatti. That can be said about the front axle setup as well. Here is a Type 59 Bugatti coming at you. Bob ;) Bob 1933_Bugatti_Type_59_GP_front_low-0ecf5.jpg

HEMI32 and Jimmy B like this.
  19. Photographer Michael Christensen recently shot the "Tulsa Roadster"(built by Steve Moal and Jackie Howerton) for a feature article in an upcoming issue of the new (subscription only) print/online magazine called "MODERN RODDING":

Tulsa Roadster - by Michael Christensen (1).JPG
    Tulsa Roadster - by Michael Christensen (2).jpg

... and here's the resultant article:

01 -Modern Rodding February 2021 - The Tulsa Roadster.jpg
    The Tulsa Roadster - Proving Once Again That Not Everything Has Been Done to the Deuce
    February 23, 2021 -
    By @Brian Brennan - Photography by Michael Christensen - Illustration by Alberto Hernandez

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    loudbang, BrerHair and teach'm like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I kind of like the raised front frame horns, no idea how it is sprung. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Torsion bars.

loudbang, HEMI32 and The37Kid like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a bit of '50's INDY car look there. Also noticed the thread is a YEAR and a HALF old. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Bob

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This car will be a classic forever!

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Cool roadsters!
    Never understood why Jackie’s first roadster got painted???
    32FDB490-7C2E-44C8-B1E0-9CBC314B81AD.png

KiWinUS and loudbang like this.
  25. Because it competed for the AMBR and won!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Interesting that this thread came up again. An absolutely beautifully incredible car. In light of the current thread on disc brakes vs drum brakes, did anyone notice what was on the front of this car. I'm just sayin...

27. A Boner

A Boner

Guess that’s the reason I’m not a show car type guy...