Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does anyone make a 3 speed Chevy column shift handle???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jdog1Woof, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

hey all, long time listener, first time caller so please excuse me if etiquette is not spot on on where I am posting this. I have a 59 Apache with stovebolt and 3 speed. Rebuilding the column shift assembly now and the shift handle I have (as in the sheet metal handle that has the knob on it and is the actual shift arm by the wheel) is mangled beyond repair. Does anyone know of a source or re pop of this part? Coming up short on eBay save for a few entire columns. Advice?

Charlie Chops 1940 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know of any aftermarket handle. I checked the Filling Station site and they don't show one and usually if there is a repro part for an older GM they show it.
    Best bet might be hoping that someone on here has one they pulled off a truck that they will part with reasonable. Be wary of anyone who doesn't show a current photo of the item though.

3. squirrel

squirrel

one of those parts that is not likely to be reproduced.

here's a used one, I think the metal part is the same, even if the plastic knob is different? maybe you can find a reproduction 55-59 knob?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192782812719

4. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

Wow. I searched up and down before posting this (my biggest fear was the first response would be “here’s one”). Appreciate the quick responses folks! I just bought it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

harpo1313 likes this.

5. Was thinking when Chevy changed the steering wheel the shifter changed also. 57-58 they used a deeper wheel didn't they? Then changed the angle of the shifter.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I don't remember. I suppose I could look it up.....like I should have done in the first place. I know the turn signal switch changed, so it kind of makes sense that the shifter would, also. 57-59 were deep dish.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yep!
    1954 1955 Chevy Truck Transmission Column Shift Lever Very Nice Used Original GM

Condition:
    Used

Ended:
    Feb 01, 2019 , 2:50PM

8. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

Looks identical to the one that was on the truck (but was mangled). Judging by the joint I think I can make this work! Will report back with photos if it works (for 20 bucks tough to go wrong!) current setup is held together with Hose clamps....to its credit I think the guy drove it for like 40k miles that way...

9. wow....had some NOS goods for Chevy 1954 down.....sold at the Nostalgia Nationals a year or so back.....

Jdog1Woof likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

there are a few internal parts on that setup, a rubber sleeve with a metal bushing inside, and the funky spring clip that holds the little buttons out.

I used a similar (or the same) lever on the automatic column shift I put in my 57 Suburban several years ago.

11. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

If yours doesn’t work, I have one out of a ‘57, that’s for the dished wheel. I have all the parts that bolt to the top part of the column down to the splined/clamped rod joint by the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

That’s awesome to know! I will get it this week sometime and will let you know if It’s no bueno. I love this place man.

13. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

So here’s the verdict, the shifter is in fact shallower in angle than the stock shifter. That being said I just did a test fit and don’t see any clearance issues to the dash (since it’s shallower that was my worry). Just a bit farther from the wheel than the original part. Unfortunately now I see that the bracket mounting the shifter to the column is cracked and will need to be replaced. @57tailgater still got that assembly?

14. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

[​IMG]

15. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I’m checking to see if I can find it. Stay tuned.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I might still have some of those parts, too.

17. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

Thanks and good to know! Any idea if the parts (specifically the one I put I the photo in the thread) is the same for 47-59? Or does the shifter handle angle change any compatibility?

18. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Sorry, not finding what I thought I had. Storage conditions limiting access.

19. I might have something. I’ll check tomorrow.

20. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

Thanks Saxman. Between eBay and LMC I think I have found what I need. Will update thread when I confirm compatibility.

21. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

So circling back here. All parts have arrived. I have a car shifter, pivot and spring/bushings from a late 40’s truck and a homemade rubber bushing (wound and cut electrical tape) and here is the verdict: it works! There are certainly differences in the parts across car truck and apparently generations as well. The pivot piece for the older truck was shorter than the OE part. It did require a lot of trial fitting and lubrication and adjustment to get it all to fit and operate properly but if you need to do this repair, the short version of the long story is if you find a bunch of random parts they can more or less go together. Now onto cleaning The shifter box at the bottom of the column.