Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Help With door gap!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap_metal, Feb 5, 2019.

1. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Any help with door gap or suggestions would be great. My driver side door I cant seem to get the top part of the front of the door to line up with the a pillar. I tried using washer in the hinge to pull it in worked a little. I chopped the car and want to finish the top of the door but I going crazy trying to get it lined up first. I must have pulled the door off about 6 time. Thanks 20190205_134335.jpg 20190205_134323.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Looks like you welded a patch onto the door where the front fender meets the door. This might be your problem. You may want carefully cut that patch back a little to establish the proper gap.

3. alchemy

alchemy

When you chopped the top, did you push the lower post in before welding? I can see where you pulled the tops of the posts outward.

4. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Its not the gap from the door to the fender its were the window frame meets the a pillar. First picture shows it best.

5. Are you taking about the top of what you have left of the a pillar on the door sticking out too far from the body when looking from the front? When you chop the top everything narrows so you have to pie cut and tip the pillar in slightly to get it to line up with the body again. Depending on the amount you may also have to adjust the window channels so your windows will still roll up.

andy dewitt likes this.
  6. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

No no pulling it in. the passenger side went together no problem. This door has been missed aligned from day one.

7. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Yes exactly. I did only a 2" chop in front and 2.5 in the back. very mild. I'm think maybe the hinge is sprung maybe?

8. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Here is the passenger 20190205_143022.jpg side.

9. Is the whole door out or just the pillar part? Hard to tell from the pictures. If it's just the pillar do a little slice and bend it in. Doesn't look like it is much.

10. I suspect this just added to your issue. Rule one is get everything aligned and fit to a T before making any cuts at all. Takes all the guess work out of problems like your having.

11. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Yes just the pillar part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Yeah I wasn't thinking about the alignment of the door. And once I got to the pillar then I noticed it was out of alignment

13. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

I also check the degrees of the pillars and they're both at the exact same degrees and everything

14. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

You need to tilt the windshield frame in along with the door frame the way you have the w/s pillar in the first picture shows a bend at the weld. Think about how your flat glass is going to go past that bend .the door frame needs to be angled in to match

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. I've used a piece of 2x4 where it touches and push on the top of the door frame with everything you got, just try to flex it. HRP

16. Years ago door gap and fit seldom went any further than the Door latch holding the door shut. We've gone way past what used to be. Once we start cutting things up we get critical on how it looks. Sometimes it gets real tough to get what we want.

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  17. Do you have a picture of the drivers side from farther back that shows the whole a pillar? As mentioned it doesn't look straight (like the passenger side) in your first picture but it may be the picture or you may have gotten the top slightly off center pulling one post out more that the other.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very possible that the door had something happened to door that affected the hinges - did the door open & close easily before you started work? did you have a brace running across from door post post to door post & dash before doing any cutting? before welding together did you try installing the windshield (with the rubber seal attached)? what is inside vertical relief cut in roof? which way did you expand roof where that cut is made? did you have door installed when you welded pillars? before finalizing alignment on door be sure to install door seal.

19. oldolds

oldolds

The fit of most 50's cars was not exact. The exact gap and perfect panel alignment is fairly recent it automotive production. I am sure someone on here will have the exact year that the commercial came out with the car having a ball bearing down the gaps to show how good that cars panel alignment was.

You may have to cut and slice to get the panels to fit like a new car.

scrap_metal likes this.
  20. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Yes everything is braced. No the door never closed to smooth to begin with. No window installed do to glass needing to be cut. The vertical cut in roof was so pillars would like back up with roof. doors were installed when chopped. Like I said the door gap at top of door was always off.

21. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

The relief cuts are at the same with after pulling pillars to match the lower part.

22. Unfortunately that probably doesn't mean much. Could have been off from the factory. If both pillars aren't straight you are going to have issues with the windshield.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Heres one its straight. 20190205_150750.jpg

24. I would just pie cut the pillar at the base and tip it in slightly. The door could have been out since day one. Shouldn't be enough to cause any problems with the windows.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39 likes this.
  25. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Thanks. Im going to get back out there and will let yawl no the verdict.

26. flatford39

flatford39

^^^^^^ This. I see now what your problem is. You need to push that pillar out a little to meet the door. Should be enough to not affect the glass.

brad2v and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. BJR

BJR

How are you going to stretch the glass to make up for the cuts in the upper corners of the roof to spread it? Rule # 1, align all sheetmetal/doors, before bracing for the chop. #2 fit the metal to the glass not the other way around.

Jalopy Joker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Just ordered my glass stretcher off amazon. JK. I did a very mild chop the glass will not be a issue.

29. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Thanks for everyone help. I got it. the hinges are bent. With a little bit of tweaking I got it straight or even depending on how you look at it 20190205_163629.jpg

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

one glitch gone, more to come - keep having fun