Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Taruffi’s Tarf I Twin in Motion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Taruffi’s Tarf I Twin in Motion

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Today at Bonneville it would either be a motorcycle streamliner or maybe a side car?
    JD? The wing could remain level until the body lift started the 'pucker' power, then adjusted for needed down-force to keep it on the track. I didn't notice if he had any turning ability, maybe just the drivers pod, but that might cause scuffing from the other pod. So a system from A to B would be needed to make safe adjustments
    Still amazing build for the time.

3. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

I was born in 1945 and saw a lot of crazy stuff in my formative years. Yet it still amazes me how curiosity seekers would stand beside a maybe 12 foot wide piece of pavement with an experimental (and in this case Star Wars for the time) vehicle go blasting past at an insane speed. No barriers, fences or anything else for that matter, and they lean in for a better view like they were watching someone milk a cow. My vote for the only one with any common sense in this soiree is the nut behind the wheel... Just sayin'...

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing Craftsmanship what a cool machine . Thank you for sharing.

5. If you look carefully on the inside of the driver's front wheel there is a small kingpin arrangement with a steering arm running back to the lever in the driver's hands.

I think you can see an arm running across to the other side of the car to steer the opposite wheel.

It would make a wicked vehicle to drive on the street.

I wonder if you could get it registered?

At least you would know nobody would pull up beside you at the lights in one.

6. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Here's some more info:

WORKS DRIVER - THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF PIERO TARUFFI,1964

Piero Taruffi was born in Rome, Italy on October 10th, 1906. Like many of his peers Taruffi started his racing career on two wheels but unlike others he continued to race motorcycles after gaining success on four wheels. He won his first race on two wheels in 1925, when he was 19 years old. In forty-one races he scored twenty-two wins. In addition to his racing activities he broke thirty-eight Worlds records including those of the Flying Kilometer at 274 Km.h., the Standing Kilometer. The Standing Mile and the One Hour record also fell to him on Gilera in 1937 and 1939. On four wheels his record is even more impressive and in 136 races he scored forty-four wins, of which fourteen were in class, and thirty in general classification. His first victory was in 1923 and his principal successes include the G.P. of Berne in 1948, the 1951 Carrera Panamericana Mexico, and in 1952 he won the Grand Prix of Switzerland and the Ulster Trophy. In 1954 he won the Targa Florio and the Tour of Sicily, which he also won the following year. In 1956 with Moss, Behra, and Schell he shared the winning wheel in the 1000 Kilometer Race in Nurburg

and in 1957 set the seal upon his brilliant career by winning the Mille Miglia. Beyond his driving he had a Doctorate of Industrial Engineering and his technical appointments in the motor industry are no less formidable than his successes in the sporting side. He was racing manager and on the engineering staff of the C.N.A. Rondine concern from 1935-1937, and technical and racing manager for Gilera in 1937-1940. In 1946 and 1947 he was racing director, technical consultant, and Chief Tester to Cisitalia and in 1950 rejoined Gilera as racing manager and technical consultant until 1956. From this vast wealth of experience Piero Taruffi crowned his career with the authorship of his famous book, The Technique of Motor Racing, which ranks as a standard work of reference to the sport of motor racing. Piero Taruffi passed away at the age of 81 in 1988 PieroTaruffi " the Silver Fox" reached the top of motor sport on 2 and 4 wheels in the 30s and 50s. He also managed famous teams, was a brilliant engineer and a world record breaker on 2 and 4 wheels. He established 53 international motorcycle records and all 39 car records were set up in a revolutionary twin boom machine of his own design and construction

Hollywood-East likes this.