Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neon clocks

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Halfton65, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Halfton65

Halfton65

Here’s something that I’ve been hooked on since starting to look at neon a few years ago.

First up is an ENCC Dialpan:

Attached Files:

2. Halfton65

Halfton65

Filed under “wish I didn’t sell it”, a Rotodial Sandial. The face is covered in colored sand. The bodies were allegedly made from leftover WW2 aircraft aluminum.

Attached Files:

3. Halfton65

Halfton65

My personal favorite, a Glo Dial Sign clock. Personalized with SAVORY MEATS; my last name is Savory and I’ve got a BBQ and grilling habit.

With the blue I was tempted to turn it into a ‘FORD SERVICE’ clock.

Attached Files:

4. Vendome

Vendome

Like you, Halfton65, I have developed an interest in neon clocks of late. Your "Savory Meats" clock is a nice personalization of a unique piece. The tube on my neon time clock was broken and clock face bezel missing but after repairs it turned out pretty good. The '34 Ford graphic next to the clock was originally built by the same local artist. The rectangular advertising clock rotates showing different scenes. The big GloDial is my favorite. Purchased the spinner off eBay as a non runner and during shipment the transformer came loose and trashed the guts but hey, I love a good project!

Attached Files:

5. Halfton65

Halfton65

Nice collection. That spinner is incredible, what brand is it?

6. Halfton65

Halfton65

Opened up the dialpan for a new cord this weekend and found way too many wire nuts and elec tape for my comfort. Rewiring and adding a neon switch on the redo.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  7. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just picked up an all original and fully functional USED CARS clock from the 1940s. Found out it had a hand painted advertisement for SHOES on the back.

Attached Files:

8. Halfton65

Halfton65

So, the pink clock “Pinky” from my first post went on a journey. Sold it to a guy in OKC 6 months ago and he loved it dearly. After 5 months it fell off the wall, broke the neon and bubble; he offered to sell it back and I jumped on it.

I bought the marquees on FB Marketplace a few months after I sold “Pinky” and was searching for a new clock. Everything fell into place and got a solid clock with the colors I really wanted.

Attached Files:

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Those are some very nice clocks.I remember seeing them just about everywhere when I was growing up.I remember a very custom neon clock in the entry way of a local church that was made by one of the members.It was a Calvery themed one with the three crosses.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a bit off topic here, but very much related to the element of neon. I wanted to add the link to Wayne's neon clocks, but it appears that they are either out of business or are just not responding to phone calls and e mails, from what I could find out, the person that was the go to person had passed away, and the person still connected with the business it appears isn't as into it as much as the person that passed away. I will provide these 2 links that will be very helpful if you want to get information on clocks. Telelchron.net and Oldgas.com both sites will teach you a lot.

I have a couple of custom pieces of neon here at this old hippie shack. The bear was listed at $2500.00, we talked him down to $2000.00 and we made payments on it till it was paid off. The red neon Pegasus horse was from the same vendor, and we stole it for $250.00, he gave us a break because we bought the Bear before we bought the horse, he said, from now on, tell your friends, the Red horse goes for a minimum of $375.00, he would do it for $350.00 if a customer provided his own metal sign, and they are not cheap, the double sided one you see in these shots was a blemished one that had a couple of printing flaws, the vendor wanted $100.00 for it, we got him down to $80.00, but that was only because the sign wasn't perfect and he was a reputable vendor I had done business with before.

The only reason I provided the Red horse pictures with prices and measurements was only to provide a guideline as to what I paid, and that is over 7 years ago, so, suffice it to say, neon as cool as it is, isn't for the the person that is looking for something in the $50.00 to $100.00 price range, just saying !
    Good luck to all out there that are entering the realm of the neon clock and neon in general.
    Dennis.
    000_neon bear.jpg our house.jpg

Redhorse 3.jpg

Redhorse 4.jpg
    Redhorse 2.jpg
    Red horse 1.jpg

Attached Files:

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could have bought this " can " that was missing the glass and transformer, for $100.00, but since it was a double sided sign, it would have cost $4000.00 to do it right, one side possibly for $2700.00, it was sold two days after I shot this!

IMG_0097.JPG

12. Halfton65

Halfton65

Picked up an Aztec on a work trip to NM a few weeks ago. Needs a lot of work but the colors and patina are great.

Attached Files:

13. Wow! Mind you, I certainly am not complaining, as a matter of fact I find this thread kinda interesting. But somebody on here deleted a picture of my engine some time ago because I was told my "billet pulleys". Seriously. I was told that they didn't meet the rules.....

And we have an ongoing thread about clocks?

14. Halfton65

Halfton65

The Antiquated is the hobby portion of the forum. Tons of cool stuff that also takes up people’s garage space.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. 1-fatboy

1-fatboy
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

16. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just a hobby for myself, most neon or sign shops can repair these type of clocks.

Of course, I’m always buying if someone is trying to free up shelf space.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. hotdamn

hotdamn

My buddy Matt gave me this the other day.
    I’m stoked to start putting it back together

if any one has anyone info what the design is or where I can learn more about them please let me know!

Attached Files:

18. Squablow

Squablow

I've got 2 old ones, both "Cleveland" clocks (Electric Neon Clock Company). The Aztek has no tubes in it, it ran and kept great time but I got it from a friend of mine who died so I never plugged it back in again. The Hex clock has good neon and runs but no marqee, not sure if the Hex clocks ever had those? I have a couple other ones that work but they're too new for the HAMB.

20230924_223747_HDR.jpg
    20230924_223803_HDR.jpg
    20230924_223829_HDR.jpg

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

I would love to find one of those Aztecs!!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Great now I want to collect these things too... Ive got what I assume is more modern knock off in my shop free years ago. I'll fire it up & take a pic.

Okie Pete and 41 GMC K-18 like this.