Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM Crate Engine Problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zzford, May 20, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

This sounds disturbingly familiar. I bought the same engine for a 40 ford was redoing for a family friend. It was a long, slow project and took until well outside the warranty period before we even got to fire it. Fast forward a bunch more drag ass years and we got it "mostly" balanced through the flywheel. There's still a little shimmy around 3500 but smoothes out on both side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Thanks guys...good place to start. g-willys P.S. Here's the vehicle its in! IMG_20170120_153327522 (3).jpg

3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Since I have a pickup and my buddy doesn't, I went with him to pick up his new crate 350 from the local Chevy garage. Instead of taking it home, we drop it off at a local machine shop, to have them tear it down check the clearances and re-assemble it. A week later we went back and pick up the motor, which cost about 300 bucks for labor and gaskets/seals. I am not sure if it was worth it, but my buddy figured that it was money "well spent" and he did not have to worry about it. I think if I ever buy a crate motor I would just take it to a shop with a dyno and have them run it, and break it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.