Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New 39 Buick owner with a few questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39buickcoupe, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 39buickcoupe

39buickcoupe

I recently picked up a 39 Buick business coupe and I am looking for just some basic info, oil to use in both trans and motor, also I am interested in what’s the best way to make her a nice cruiser where my wife and I can taker it out once a week or so. We drove it yesterday for about 30 miles it ran great shifted well but when we parked it there seem to be an oil leak from the trans/drivetrain (I know it’s all enclosed but don’t know much more). I was wondering if I should be concerned or what to look for when adding more or cleaning it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Your first old car? Oil leaks are part of the deal! If not too bad. Probably the torque ball which is at the back of the transmission where the torque tube connects. Does not " hurt " for it to leak unless the leak is so bad as to drain the transmission. Unlikely. If it was mine I would just monitor for a while. Unless one is driving a lot, say several hundred miles a month, just live with it. I keep a metal pan made for such beneath mine.
    Use any modern oil. Depending on where you live, probably a 10w/30 or 10w/40. Any brand. Least expensive is way better than what was available in 1939. For gear oil, I use 90/140.

Welcome and good luck.

Ben

3. oldolds

oldolds

Usually the trans and reads on a car like that would have the standard 90w gear oil in them.
    The engine could be another matter. Is it original or has it been rebuilt at some point in it's life. When it was new it would have had a straight weight oil in it. Something like 30w in the summer and 10w in the winter. Most often non detergent oil. There also was detergent oil that kept things cleaner. The traditional thinking was that you should not run detergent oil in a car that has had years of use with non-detergent oil as it would loosen the sludge in there and cause problems. Now most people say run the detergent oil and change it often to clean things up. If it was rebuilt at some time it probably only ever had detergent oil in it.
    You should look for oils that have a high zinc content. Amsol. Lucas, Valvoline are a few that make such an oil. The weight of oil should be at least a 30w in my opinion. 10w-30 should be ok. 10w-40 in warmer climates. If you bought the car from a long time owner ask him what he was runnung. I am sure others will chime in with more opinions.

4. 39buickcoupe

39buickcoupe

Thank you for your input, yes it’s my first classic I figured it was going to leak a little I just wanted to be sure it was nothing to be worried that much about. I bought it at an auction so I’m not 100% sure if it’s pasts and want to do anything that could help the longevity. I have the previous owners info and he left his registrations in the glove box all the from 12-present so it would seem he’s had it in running order for the past few years. But I was thinking I could check with him to see what information he would be willing to share about it’s history.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

90 wt in trans and i dont remember if the old Buick had a oil filter i know my 41 olds didn’t so if you live in a warm climate you could use a 30 wt oil or best thing imo is try and get an oil filter kit and filter the oil. You may be leaking at the gasket to the yoke from trans to driveshaft. Good luck with her.

6. Was that the one at Kissimmee?

7. 39buickcoupe

39buickcoupe

Yes it was

8. I was admiring that when I saw it on the TV coverage..nice car, bought right.

9. sdluck

sdluck

Find a forum for buick owners and ask what they recommend,also check with the previous owner and see what history they can tell you.

10. leon bee

leon bee

Ben: Is this setup like my newer 50s stuff where a bad enough seal could let the trans empty out into the tube?

11. I think not. I believe what you are talking about is the Dynaflow. IT can do that.

How ya doing?

Ben

belair likes this.
  12. NJGreenBullitt

NJGreenBullitt
    from New Jersey

Congratulations on your first classic. I have a '39 business coupe myself. I love the look and the ride is unbelievably soft - am I right? 3-on-the-tree takes some practice, too.

You would think an auction vehicle would have fresh fluids, but when the time comes (or you just want to get in there & poke around) you want 10-30 up front and 90 or 140 weight GL1 in the trans & rear. Lots of concern about non-GL1 eating yellow metals (brass & bronze) of old transmissions.

You should join us over here in the AACA forums https://forums.aaca.org/forum/60-buick-pre-war/

It caters to the original & restored crowd. Join up, log in & search. I'm JRHaelig over there.

Oh, and learn the meaning of "1 year only". It comes up a lot with '39 Buicks.

gggholson likes this.
  13. Fat47

Fat47

Google "Buick Club of America". Lots of info.

14. catdad49

catdad49

First "old" car I ever rode in was my Uncle Joe's '39 Buick 4 dr. sedan (it was his family car in the middle 50's). I have a soft spot for them and the straight 8's, it should do you nicely.