Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter project- half ass 1956 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jan 8, 2019.

1. swifty

swifty

Well there goes the "Half - Ass" part of this project. Chrome inner fenders do not fit into any "half-ass" category so you had better change the title.
    Jokes aside I am thoroughly enjoying your build and many thanks for documenting it here as I am not into Facebook or Instagram so miss out on lots of good stuff.

2. Oh sh#t !!! Good for you man !! You're always so blessed, with bitchin' stuff. Cheers !!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Thanks-sittin' nice!

4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Ford made a longer yoke for the 9 inch too which would make up the difference

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Correct color for the 56 engine is yellow in case your interested lol

6. alchemy

alchemy

All that chrome looks good on "my" truck! But don't spend too much time on that ol six. I have a Y-block and a bunch of matching old chrome parts for it that should bolt right in when it gets here.

catdad49, scott27, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Ya know ya need to pickup that little digger royal shifter has for sale on the classifieds before I do would be bitchin

chryslerfan55, Chris and loudbang like this.
  8. ...I really like your project, very cool truck;..I just mocked up the fenders on my 55 Chevy for the first time,..(the truck was all apart when I bought it),...anyway, like you, I like going into the shop and looking at it...I'm also runnin an inline 6 but a later 292.
    55 chev pu build 048.jpg 55 chev pu build 050.jpg

9. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Nice project! I just bought this '56 last summer and need to drop it. Can you tell us what dropped axle & front springs you're using? Looks like the perfect height. 3004Mod.jpg

10. The axle is an original axle Anson Axles dropped. Posie front springs. Rear is again Posie springs with modified front spring hangers, and extended Y hangers for the rear of the spring.

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

nice truck, ill be following!!

loudbang likes this.
  12. You may have already posted it.. Didn't read back far enough.. This is getting a FE right ? Love the chrome inner fenders !
    I still have that chrome heater housing, that you can have.. not sure if it will work in the 56..
    I can bring it to Early Bird if you like...

13. No FE in this truck. On the housing, send me a picture of just bring it to the swap. I'd like to have it if it works!
    Thanks Rob, Chris

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Chris! You appear to be evolving into a vintage TRUCK guy like I pretty much did! I still love to look at vintage hotrods and have been gathering parts for a car build some day but I am drawn more to trucks the last several decades!.i think perhaps it's the practicality and usefulness of trucks and their history as workhorses...and they are extremely stylish as well!..cool job your doing on this one and I am following but your 1960 4-4 speaks louder to me!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I have always had trucks, drove a 60 F-100 daily for years that I got when I was 18-19. My first car was a 56 F100 I bought when I was 13 or 14. I love hot rods and early Fords, but I love pickups as well. The 59 4WD... unfortunately a guy wanted it a lot worse then I did...he made me an offer on it and the truck left here this past weekend...

16. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Great project! I wanna watch it all come together!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Me too! taking a break however, it's just too cold right now

chryslerfan55, loudbang and scott27 like this.
  18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Damn Chris, I don't think I could have let it go if it was mine...this 56 took its place I guess?

19. I didn’t want to sell it but the guy offered a lot more then I thought it was worth...and I’ve already replaced it with a 10 year old newer, original paint F-250 4x4. I always have a 4WD to dink around with. That 59 was really neat though. And I do miss it haha

20. These inline 6's are the ticket, 2 carbs, pipes and 52 Chevy carbs and you'll be faster than a V8.

21. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Back in 72 when I was a young guy I had a 223 powered 56 f100 and I "hopped" it up low buck style , took a hole saw to the intake and cut a hole at the front and rear .then brazed a inch long piece of exhaust pipe with a flange on them and bolted on two more 56 Holley single barrels then cut a slot across the exhaust manifold and again brazed exhaust flange on it .in the slot cut a piece of 1/8 steel in it to separate the manifold into two .ran strait pipes to a set of cab hi stacks .i didn't know what progressive linkage was so all three carbs were active all the time .believe it or not it ran really really well and dam I had a lot of fun .gas mileage sucked but it was fun lol

22. I'll bring it to the Early Bird, If you can use great ..

loudbang likes this.
  23. It’s still very cold here, so very little has been done. Except I won a gift certificate for powder coating so I took a whole load in a few weeks ago, and picked it up today. Once it warms up a little I can start bolting the whole front end back together

F81678C2-932D-4D6D-9C5D-3F5A4970386E.jpeg

24. Well, I took the front axle in the basement a couple days ago to warm up. Tonight I took my tools down and drilled the spring bolt locating hole 1.5” rearward to move the front axle forward. I also drilled the U bolt clamps as it places the spring locating bolt right in the center of the U bolt strap. Now the front end can officially go back together after touching come paint up (and it warms up a little :D)

This idea came from @D-Russ and his F100 project

5188A2E5-9CC7-4E69-B6D6-4894542C78CF.jpeg C451247D-BE66-4A85-8F2F-FF99ACB6DA44.jpeg 04E622DD-A761-4522-8ED8-56122B68DAC3.jpeg

25. Thanks for the shout out Chris! You're a solid dude.

26. No prob, thanks for posting how you did it! It worked slick and should get the front wheels looking better in location. Measure twice, drill once haha

27. I got the axle in, I figured out my king pins are oversized, so I ended up buying a reamer and reaming the axle bosses. I also tried my theory on the steering arm. I cut the ball off and drilled a 1/2” hole through the end of the arm. Used a tapered reamer and now it will accept a ford style ball joint. The steering box side is easy, a 57-60 arm is used which already has a tapered hole.i May end up heating and bending the arm down a little. Got everything mocked up so I can have drag link and tie rod tubes made. Hung the fenders on it, wheel is now nicely centered.

E7A1D038-F845-4475-8612-3E0A4D6204B1.jpeg F5F937C3-EA91-4C5D-9815-27F806AAB0BB.jpeg CC4B8D4D-0A70-4143-9A86-E0E0A989D07E.jpeg 38B1F055-1969-400C-8966-EF4B4F5A9EC4.jpeg

28. Chris; If you don't want to heat and bend the steering arm take your tapered ream and come up from the bottom and move the rod end under the arm. But first go build a fire in the stove so the Snow melts off the fender. Hard to work with your hands in your pockets to keep them warm.

OahuEli, catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

Taper halfway from the bottom. It works fine, I've done it a couple times.

30. Heat? Whats that :D

Yes, I've done it a couple times on early Fords myself. It's hard to tell by the angle in the pic, but I think the drag link would hit the "kink" in the arm where it starts to slope up. I will investigate that once I get the tube here. I can either taper the hole from the bottom or heat and bend the arm down a little. I am just happy to be able to use modern style ball joint ends...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019