Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The End of the Schroeder Steering Box!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modified, Jul 19, 2017.

1. modified

modified

☆ No More Schroeder Steering Boxes! 7/19/17
    I just got off the phone talking to Karen Schroeder. She said they have suspended operations and have very, very few parts available!
    They sold their machinery!
    Speedway Motors is not interested in buying them nor anyone else for that matter!!
    She said that the cost of producing the boxes cannot be recouped at a reasonable sale price!
    I asked Karen about images of the internals, there are none available. She said the sealed bearings last a lifetime. If there is no reason to open the box you are better off to leave it alone. To lube it, pull off the pitman arm and give it a spin to redistribute the grease.
    So there you have it!
    The End of the Schroeder Steering Box!
    You can reach Karen at 818-565-3311.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Another piece of America gone.:(

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've never used one because I never had to, but I admired them when I saw them used. The fact that so many were used speaks highly of the design and assembly. I know the company will be missed.

loudbang and modified like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geeez...

loudbang and modified like this.

5. 55chevr

55chevr

They made a product that lasts forever. No planned '"obsolescence ". Quality / durability was too good

Joe

czuch, bigblk1177, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  6. HD DUDE

HD DUDE

P1050840.JPG

P1050853.JPG
    P1050857.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG This is sad news to hear. Old news now I guess. I have one fitted in Kwik Silva. Looking for a longer pitman arm right now...... Guess I will make one or modify the one I have unless someone has a better idea on here...... Not sure if I like the idea of running one of the aluminium pitman arms available for Speedway on the street.... ???

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My Schroeder box on the Zipper. image.jpeg

8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Nice looking car.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HD DUDE likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sad to hear this. I'm with Don Lothian: 'Another piece of America gone'...

warhorseracing likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Almost guaranteed to bump steer.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We were lucky to get one of the very last ones built. IMG_7117.JPG

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wonder what ever became of these ones that
    @hershambob posted about I believe in 2010.

Supposedly they were being made by a guy he knows in England.

55D5A0C4-D7B1-4E89-B0CB-ED88B5B088FA.jpeg 3B84B854-D173-4B2E-9C67-284B43DC6D61.jpeg

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, those were pictures he posted, I was interested in buying a box but they never got back to me.
    I decided in the end to use a reversed Corvair box from flaming river and went away from the cowl steering idea.

15. Caley

Caley

IDIDIT LLC has acquired California-based Schroeder Steering, which manufactures quick-release steering hubs and steering boxes.

The acquisition includes all inventory, machines, castings, molds, prints, specifications, and original tooling owned by Schroeder, along with its 75-year manufacturing knowledge to be implemented at IDIDIT’s Tecumseh, Michigan facility.

IDIDIT will continue the production of the quick release and steering box products by Gary Schroeder, founder of Schroeder Steering. New SFI-certified IDIDIT Performance Quick Release Steering Hubs are already in production and available through IDIDIT. The company is now beginning production of the new IDIDIT Performance Steering Box, based on the engineering of Schroeder’s original design. They are expected to be available for purchase in the second fiscal quarter of 2019.

Customers who have already purchased the Schroeder Steering box can contact IDIDIT for technical questions and assistance.

“Since we have the inventory and tooling in-house, we are able to tear down, inspect and repair any original Schroeder steering box,” said Trever Cornwell of IDIDIT.

Those who own a Schroeder steering box and are involved in a collision, or may suspect their product is damaged, can send the steering box to IDIDIT for inspection, according to the company. If a repair is needed an estimate will be provided. If the customer authorizes the repair, the inspection fee will be applied to those repair costs. If no repairs are necessary, the fee will cover costs of reassembly and shipping back to the customer.

For more information on the IDIDIT Performance Quick Release Steering Hubs, IDIDIT Performance Steering Boxes, or the repair of the Schroeder Steering Box, contact the IDIDIT sales staff at 517-424-0577, or visit ididit.com.

stanlow69, Kan Kustom, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  16. The original producer may be gone but the product still lives. Lets hope the quality will be continued bi Ididit. With their name on the line they most likely will as they have a broad base and product now.

mrhp likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Caley, is your last name Ididit?

18. So,cowl steering is not dead after all.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ididit is a great company . These steering boxes are in good hands.

20. Caley

Caley

Are those Vintage Wires' ignition wires?

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ididit had a display at the GNRS which included a Schroeder complete box on display. I told them I was glad they have the company and will keep the tradition of the Schroeder alive..

markjaramillo likes this.
  22. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

23. autocrafter

autocrafter
    from NC.

I had a steering gear ordered for 2 months and they just cancelled my order