Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford sedan into a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Are the repro roadster quarters significantly cheaper than repro 3W quarters?

2. Very nice work, following with interest.

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Wow. Thank you for sharing this with us!

4. dutchrod

dutchrod

5. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

No, I dont have the 32 3w anymore.
    I had a plan put together for another 32 but I got side tracked with this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

3W quarters are not avalible. SAR does not make them anymore.

7. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

It has been difficult to resist the temptation of chopping it. But I want to do this stock height. If it doesnt look right when I'm done I'll chop it then.
    That "bustle" is a mess to deal with. I just have the easy part done. Now comes the true test.

8. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Amen

9. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

No skill here. I am just flying by the seat of my pants.

kidcampbell71 and spurgeonforge like this.
  10. Great build please keep the updates coming.

11. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Ok, I got Side tracked on some other projects. I have a little time before the next one starts so. Here we go.
    I have been nervous about doing the corners of the roof. After thinking this through a couple hundred times I decided it might be best to cut the roof line detail off the corner rather than attempt to fit the entire corner in one piece. I made the piece in the first picture to serve as the door jamb at the back of the door. That gave me an edge to attach the roof detail I cut from the sedan corner. I had to do a lot of shrinking to make the curve right in the transition from the door post to the belt line. But it turned out better than I thought it would. Next to make the top portion line up. This was a lot more tuff. I will have some pictures coming up soon.

Attached Files:

51box, Tim, UNSHINED 2 and 11 others like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man...I gotta get me some cardboard.
    You make nice car. :)

13. I missed this one a year ago. Glad I saw it come this time around! You have made an excellent start.

14. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

What body styles have the brace from the door post going toward the rear wheel well as shown in post #4?

15. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Those are part of the 2 door sedan.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

17. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Some times I don’t know why I start these projects. This is a can of works to say the least. Any way I finished the door opening around the top side. I ended up piecing it together with smaller parts than I wanted to but I think it worked out ok. Next I decided to attempt to make the sail panel from scratch. Not sure if this is going to work but the more I beat on it the better it is starting to look. I wanted to try this because the sedan sail panel is so far off I figured rather than attempt to make it work and possibly destroy it. I would go this route, If any thing I am getting some practice before I try to reshape the sedan sail panel.

Attached Files:

18. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Couple more pictures of the “lip” over the door. It transitions from an over hung lip to a flush body line. I spent way to much time making that.

Attached Files:

19. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I recently scored a dropped axle for it and could not resist putting it under the front to see how it sets. I am trying not to mess with the suspension and drive train much (my favorite part) until the body is together. That helps push me though my least favorite part.

Attached Files:

20. I love your method, I do similar things myself to keep my motivation. That door frame looks really good!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Still fighting through the sail panel. I think it is starting to take shape, maybe a little flat on the top. The detail or tight radius that runs about 3 inches above the door was not it the sedan corner as the sedan gets round and bulbous. I beat it in with a hammer and carried it down into the corner.
    It’s pry not correct but I have some success overlapping the panels on the car and working them with the jammer & dolly before trimming them flush for welding.

Attached Files:

22. Duke

Duke

Looking good!

23. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I felt good enough about the lower half of the sail panel to trim it and tack it in. With that in place I have the foundation to work the top half. No matter how many clamps I put on it everything kept slipping and moving around.

Attached Files:

DylanHill1931, 51box, brEad and 5 others like this.
  24. sweet....subscribed.....

25. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Bang, it’s a 3 window.
    Still have a little work to do but it looks like a car again. Glad that’s done... well half done. Now just to make the other side look like this side.

Attached Files:

DylanHill1931, 51box, 6ft6 and 9 others like this.
  26. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Couple more

Attached Files:

27. Are you going to take out the squareness of the sedan back portion? I would see if someone could make you a contour pattern of a 3 window roof so you could get the crown out of it. Looks like a lot of work. I know. Just chopping a 5W was enough for me.

28. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I do have some gauges I made from an original body. Actually a coupe is a lot more square than a sedan. That was the struggle putting the square into it. The rear of a sedan is very round and bulbous where a coupe has a fairly flat back and a defined corner in the sail panel.

29. I'll have to look at a stock 3W again I guess. My fiver is hard to get a read on compared to what you have done since it's chopped to the limit.. Great job by the way. You got big brass ones for sure. Mucho talent. Will you chop it now?

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So when you get it all done are you going to chop it a few inches?:rolleyes: