Register now to get rid of these ads!

Water Wetter,does it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Jun 1, 2006.

1. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Was wondering if anyone out there has experience with the additives to keep Radiator temps down.Does the stuff really work or is it all hype.If it does work is there a brand to look out for.Thanks:D

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't have any experience with it in radiators but I used to be in the car wash business and sold Ecolab goodies. There IS a lot that can be done with "making water wetter". It's not hype. You have to see it first hand to believe it. I'm not sure exactly how that corresponds to keeping temps down though?

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Never did anything for my engine/radiator...neither did "Zero Cool"...guess my '57 just likes to run hot...

R-

4. k9racer

k9racer

For whats its worth I use 3 drops of Ivory dish detergent in my race cars. I was told that its a surfractor surcfacing agent or lubeicant it makes the water slicker. It seams to work for me..

5. Ive used Quick Kool for years, Its cheap and it lowers temps about 20*.

My old dirt-track friends recommend it to me.

Redline/Royal Purple crap turned my coolant black.

More expensive is not always better.

6. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

We only run water in the rad of the 53 customline dragster ( no glycol). It runs a 351 Clevland engine, and always ran way to hot. We tried Water Wetter, and it brought the temp down 20 some degrees. This was tried at the same time as some other modifications with the rad shroud, so I would say that yes it works, but how much I can not say. I run it in other cars I own, no issuse there either.
    Works for me.

7. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I used it in my road race mustang and it brought it down at least 10 degree's

8. Armstrong

Armstrong

I've used both the Red Line and Justice Bros. products and saw lower temps. This was in my '38 Chev with a hot smallblock and stock '38 radiator.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It works, the problem is finding the one that works in your setup.
    Doc.

10. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

I believe it makes alot more difference in straight water than it does with coolants. I've been told that but don't quote me...

11. Hebee

Hebee

I've used Redline Brand water wetter in every vehicle I've owned for the past 10 years and it has always lowered the temperature by 5 to 10 degrees F. I buy the stuff by the case! :D

12. Darby

Darby

We ran water & water wetter in our road race cars. Back when we ran the normal 50/50 mix, the water wetter saved us on a few hot August weekends. It does have more effect in plain water, but running plain water is supposed to be hell on water pumps, so you'd want to run water wetter in that anyway to lube the pump.

If you're just barely overheating, or only in extreme cases, the stuff might be enough to get you by.

13. Chad s

Chad s

I use 40 Below in my 47 with a 302/walker radiator. My engine was running about 220, and it braught it down about 30 drgrees.

14. Sooowee

Sooowee
    from Auburn, CA

I use Water Wetter in my Jeep which I use for rockcrawling. I've noticed about a 10 degree drop in "normal" operating temperatures.

Because of that, I also use it in my '54 Customline. Works for me!

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plane water is harsh on a motor as it permits unchecked oxidisation. Water from a tap can be considered 'Hard' water and carries impurities that can speed up the 'rot' in a motor. Just running a wetting agent softens the water but still allows the galvanic action across different metals to begin the process of 'rotting'. I would include a good radiator conditioner and if you can get one a sacrificial anode radiator cap. Of course this won’t help your heating problem!
    I’m not familiar with the products sold in the US so cant really help there.
    Doc.

16. skipperman

skipperman

watter wetter AND --- DISTILLED WATER !!! NOT TAP WATER !! it WILL drop temps in just about anything.....NO anti-freeze in summer then add it in winter ( if you need it).......also check C9's post on TIMING !! That post has solved more cooling problems for me then ANYTHING else !! it's in the archives...

jersey Skip

17. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Thanks for the responses much appreciated,I am running a blown 350 in a Willys pickup and it is a relatively small radiator.I havent yet boiled over but am trying to lower my chances.If i can get that temp down 20 deg will make a big differance.Will also check my timing,does elevation (I live at 6000ft) make any differance for base timing.:D

18. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yes, a few drops of dish soap does the same thing. You're old lady won't even notice you jacked her.

19. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

the only thing I've heard that can be bad about using water wetter, or similar concoctions, is that if you have a leak... it'll get worse pretty quick. If you have a nice sealed system, then no problems! :) just my $.02

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Water Wetter does indeed work, and as was stated you need to use distilled water as well. In roadracing you can not use anti-freeze and Water Wetter definately does the job... if it doesn't then you problem lies elsewhere...

21. Here's an interesting one page write up.
    http://www.e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/Water_Wetter/water_wetter.htm

Perhaps not about this particular brand, but a couple years back one of the water additive manufacturers was having problems.
    Seems the additive was being blamed for accelerating the corrosive capabilities of water.

I should give it a try, if for nothing else to see if the 20-30 degree temp drop claims are really true.

I've been doing ok with water and a water soluble oil to lube the water pump and aid in holding the corrosion levels down.

22. FEDER

FEDER

I tried water wetter in My 51 Ford with just water. Didnt see much difference. Now I use Hyper cool made by Hyper Lube It really works much better and is cheaper. You can get it at shucks-kragen for about 8 bucks I think. Dropped My temp 20 and dont overheat at all. Thats all Ive changed. FEDER

23. 40 below has always worked for me.

24. deucemanab

deucemanab

water wetter is a great product that really works.it is suppose to neautralize
    all forms of corrosion and to protect the adjacent metals against corrosive erosion.works best in straight water but works with a 50/50 mix also.
    deucemanab

25. Dugg

Dugg

I'd like to see anti-freeze banned by drag strips, well maybe.... But then, I'd like to see Mariah Carey locked in my hotel room.

So, what is the effect of water with water-wetter spilled in the track? Does it dry quickley? Is it more slippery than water or antifreeze/water?

I have a bracket bike and just don't have that feeling of control or comfort when the motor bangs the rev-limiter in the lights 'cause there's crap spilled onto the track. And yes, anti-freeze in the lights is still better than having to run after the jets, which have a habit of saturating the track with kerosene.... which is then immediatley ignored by the track-prep guys.

26. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I've been using 40 Below for the past 4 years---worked great---had a bad hose and replace it and decided to try not using 40 Below---it got hot right away---I've been driving my car over 20 years and can tell the little signs---added 40 Below again and dropped the temp by over 20 degrees .So I like it!

27. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Hey C9 interesting article,I am interested to see how much differance distilled water would make rather that tap water.

28. Jimv

Jimv

All those products are is water softners!! They do work as long as you're not having problems!! If you have a clogged or undersize rad, bad water pump,Yada yada they won't help.
    Also no matter what you put in its not going to run cooler then your thermostat!
    JimV

29. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I was told these products work because they reduce the size of bubbles created in the cooling system = more water surface area...and you're supposed to use little or no anti-freeze.

30. Brewton

Brewton

I've use both the redline and royal purple product and the help a little 10-15 degrees. Use distilled water!