Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lifting a 61 GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

Hello everyone, have a 61 gmc fleetside 1/2 ton. Looking to lift it, nothing crazy, maybe 2-3” but looking around and not finding many options. Im guessing bc of the twin I beam front suspension and X frame make it difficult but does anyone know of a “easy” way to lift it a few inches?

Aside from a frame swap to a later style I don’t really see many options, but with an I beam setup, X frame and trailing arms I’m guessing it would be a real pain to lift and not throw off the caster/camber, any help, pics or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. you are going the wrong direction with it by going higher, most here want to go lower

flatford39 and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. town sedan

town sedan

Twin I Beam? Thought that was a Ford better idea.
    -Dave

4. FD2350FE-98F9-44E0-A963-A5D25FAD0695.jpeg Hockey pucks under the body mounts.
    Cheap Canadian lift kit.

Hnstray, czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Christopher26

Christopher26

Sorry!! Meant torsion, been working on damn ford vans too long haha

6. Christopher26

Christopher26

I do like the lowered look of it but a couple inches up and a little bigger tire would help here in the winter and I wouldn’t have to keep my car, would rather be able to use my truck year round but I’m on the north shore which is hilly and gets snow and ice enough that a lowered truck would just sit there most of the winter, was literally doin ball joints on a E series ford that’s why I beams where in my head. Could I just loosen the torsion bars to get a couple inches of list and put some blocks in the rear ?

7. You should have an independent not Twin I beam in a '61 Gimmy.

[​IMG]

It should be torsion bar and the easiest way to lift it is tighten up the torsion bars. Then take it to the alignment shop to get it aligned.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

All right! A truck that wont sit like it has 3 tons in the bed and a C15 under the hood!

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. Did you forget what sight your on? Isn't there a regular Chevy truck sight for this info?

mike 51 likes this.
  10. Christopher26

Christopher26

11. leon bee

leon bee

Here I was thinking it was kinda refreshing to hear about somebody not wanting to lower the thing down in the dirt.

12. Christopher26

Christopher26

Yeah apparently you and I are the only ones Leon haha. Still think it’s better to be able to drive it year round than starts at it but that’s just my .02 cents

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You mean,, so you can actually use it? USE IT???
    Hunh, year round coolcar use in loung oisland. kinky, but I like it.

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. Christopher26

Christopher26

I know, I’m coming out of left field with this but yeah that’s the idea haha. Actually drove it everyday for three years when it still had the generator, which is half the reason I’d like an actual tire that could not slide around, did three winters that way and would rather not again but still want it my main driver

F&J and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those that haven't lived where there is deep snow don't understand the advantages of a little more clearance between the ground and the chassis. I grew up in South Dakota, and lived in Iowa and Minnesota before moving to the Kansas tropics so have a bit of experience with both lowered and lifted vehicles. Give me a tall one in the snow, and I'll get the groceries home every time.

Crank up the torsion bars on the front like Beaner said, and some lift blocks/spacers on the rear axle.

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

With global warming and rising sea levels, two inches may be be enough. :rolleyes:

17. Christopher26

Christopher26

Thanks Ebbsspeed, yeah it’s nice to have it low and looking nice, but a whole lot nicer to be able to get out of a snow bank and drive haha

41 coupe likes this.
  18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Relatively narrow tires, fairly tall with aggressive tread work best. Gary

Hnstray and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. finn

finn

Listen to what roadster1927 says.

I grew up in the Lake Superior snow belt in the fifties and sixties. Nobody lifted their trucks to get through the snow. Lifting the suspension doesn’t help anyway, as the sales are what drags. Tall skinny snow tires work.

66gmc and Hnstray like this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume you meant axles instead of sales? In a lot of O/T cars like I drove in the snowy locations that I lived, there was a lot of stuff that was lower to the ground than the axles, but I understand your comment. And it is true that the skinny old snow tires have a huge advantage over the wider "all season" tires.
    As far as lifting trucks, I think the OP's truck is lowered now, and he wants to lift it a bit. He did say in post #6 that "I like the lowered look of it, but...." so I assume he's trying to get it back up in the air a bit. I may be wrong.

21. Christopher26

Christopher26

Ok thanks guys, I’ll check them out as well, any brand or style you recommend?

22. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

From my experience (well over 50 yrs out here in the territories of Western MA) valid facts in the above replies. Add ice and short of chains there's nothing like studs on the high narrow tires to get and keep you going. High centers of gravity are NOT your friend, think more leverage working against the tire contact patch...... Unloaded trucks are noted for getting loose quick in the rear on snow and ice covered roads, doesn't hurt to tote around some ballast during the winter, keep it secured in the bed (or on the body deck) just ahead of the rear wheels.

Ed