Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Cory -

Agreed!

... and I'd be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to congratulate you & @ash on taking home the H&H Best Dressed Flathead Award ... and the Brizio Family Driven Award:

Ashley & Cory Taulbert with their AMBR contender at the '19 GNRS.jpg

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^^^^

Bitchin’ Car

Very Cool Map
    Frame it and put it in your Man Cave or above the family room mantle.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. wayne-o

wayne-o

As mentioned above, the Model A's in building 9 were spectacular. So much history in one place. I had to go back after listening to the Rodders Journal interviews with Chrismans daughter, Rich Guasco, and the guys that organized the exhibit. It was amazing to hear how these cars survived over the years.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    loudbang and KKrod like this.
  4. 10685rusty

10685rusty

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that 36 does grow on one even with the wheels that see to distract more than they add to the whole package.
    Still on the AMBR cars in the show. This was probably the first year I can remember that there was not one that I told my self "oh hell NO" A couple that were obviously OT as all get out but they aren't those show rods of years past that you know will never get driven any further than from the car carrier to the power parking spot at Goodguys before they disappear into the dusty hiding spots of retired and dated show cars waiting to be discovered 50 years later.
    As for Poteet, I have high respect for the man who over the past couple of decades or less has put several previously unknown builders on the map because he saw something out of their shop he liked and picked them for a project. I remember when he had Sniper and I was wandering around Pleasanton in 1998 and there in a row of cars along with the red deuce roadster I had traveled from Winnemucca to Reno with the day before having or own two rig cruise down the highway early in the morning. There it was in the row with cute momas pushing baby buggys around it with no body guards or stanchions. Just another cool car that got driven in and parked in the line. I've got a feeling that we may see the 36 under similar conditions a couple of years from now after it's indoor show circuit tour is done.
    We should remember that even though the cost of the builds on some of these rides are higher than the prices of houses over on the "rich" side of town that they are also there to pick up ideas and tricks that we can use out in our little unheated car and a half garage.
    Tweedy Pie grew on me every time I saw better photos. To be in that room and in that competition is something that will stay with the story of the car forever. Restored and competed for the AMBR is something that will now stay with the car forever. Two cars from the PNW that I have taken a ton of photos of are "former" AMBR contenders. Thinking on it that might be three. All of them built by owners in their own shops with the help of friends which I rather imagine includes each other. One is solid black with no chrome or other colors. So much black that as much as my Canon loves it it still can't get detailed photos of it.
    What I still don't understand is the "poor me" bullshit that happens every time we discuss high dollar rigs winning prestigious awards. We all have different income or expendable cash levels. Those of us who don't have the expendable cash have to have the expendable energy and willingness to upgrade our game to produce something at a much higher level.

Surf City, Ranchero59 and loudbang like this.
  6. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Yes, my favorite, too. However, I thought some of this year's suede-palace cars were a little too polished. There was a pair of '33-'34 heavily chopped and fenderless five-windows at the back of the palace, placed side by side. Those two cars definitely got my heart running. My high point for the show.

7. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Congratulations that is really kool. One of my favorite roadsters. I was so impressed buy the story and pictures of the drive out to California. There meant to be driven and you proved it.

loudbang likes this.
  8. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

ED84DE29-069D-441E-81DC-A042D0644067.jpeg 14F01823-D396-4E9B-87CB-50F31681D1AF.jpeg E2869382-210B-477C-BF39-539784592D48.jpeg 90CF6DCA-04CF-40FB-AB7B-843ECCBDE14D.jpeg Garage built real deuce sitting outside. I think anyone that’s just there has a connection with someone somewhere. It’s all subjective but at least hot rodding is still alive and kicking.

63fdsnr, 46Chief, Ranchero59 and 2 others like this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

As a side note Pinkee's built this '36 Ford Roadster a few years back and from what I understand it see's many miles as a driver. If I had lots of money Pinkee's would have it all..........................
    0810rc_11_z+1936_ford_roadster+driver_side.jpg 0810rc_01_z+1936_ford_roadster+front_passenger_view (2).jpg 0810rc_10_z+1936_ford_roadster+front_driver_side.jpg

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The winner is a beautiful car for sure. Politics plays a huge roll in every big show these days. Too many d**k strokers trying to fill a living room with trophies... The worst offenders seem to be the Tri 5 chevy clubs.... Makes you want to go kick that crying baby doll right off their fender, drop a real cheeseburger on their drive in tray, splash ketchup down the window and do the dirty deed in the back seat.

11. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I am partial to any '36 and especially to the GNRS winner. The only thing I would change is the skinny back tires. It just doesn't look right.

12. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

What a weekend! I’ll definitely be back next year but I want to take a break from showing a car. By Sunday I was wandering the Fairplex aimlessly in a daze. I think I’ll go on Friday then hit Turlock on Saturday. It killed me to hear about all the parts I missed out on this year; had a buddy grab business cards and am making calls this week!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Neat video on the cars from Hot Rod magazine. Sounds like it was a pretty close competition.

R A Wrench, kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  14. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Well said Mr48chev The hotrods this year were all outstanding. Poteets was one step above but like you said I can bet you will see that on the road somewhere this summer. Cory's roadster was one of my favorites. Because it was driven. and he did win a couple of nice awards.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Co-starring Cory Taulbert. "What a hot rod should look like." Great video, thanks.

16. Coolduece

Coolduece

I agree that all of the cars this year looked outstanding. I got to see the 36 in sanding primer at Pinkees and it looked good even disassembled. I get into Pinkees each year once or twice and always find myself drooling over something they are working on there. Eric and his team do good work!

HEMI32 and philly the greek like this.
  17. Eddie Dye's car is it for me, the winner at my house.

32Stoker likes this.