Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 B Distributor on 30 Banger wiring???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, Jan 25, 2019.

1. I’m a little stuck. Positive ground car, it’s wired generator to driver side terminal post, connecting to one side of ammeter, other side going to other terminal post with starter wire going to that, same post going to positive in coil, negative on coil going to distributor.

Any advice on what I’m doing wrong? Engine spins and it’s getting fuel, so it’s not getting spark. Can’t tell if there’s power even getting to the coil.
    [​IMG]
    I have an easy wiring setup so I can get it running, I’ll make it cleaner once it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. F&J

F&J

That is opposite of how a positive ground car is wired...but it still should start or spark.
    Get a test light or volt meter to see if there is power to coil from that toggle switch you have.

If yes, then hook the test light or meter to the opposite small wire on coil. When the points are open, you should show power there, and with points closed, you should not have power there.

If that other coil terminal is "always" (points in closed or open position)"not showing power", then the condenser could be shorted out or more likely the terminal post going through the distributor base is shorted out to ground. (The insulating Bakelite washers need to be installed correctly to prevent that).

If that other coil terminal always shows power, (points open or closed)then it's likely that the points are not making a good contact.

barrnone50 likes this.

3. So tonight a friend came over and we tried to decipher the wiring.

When connecting the black probe on the multimeter to the ignition coil, and the red to the chassis, we got 6 volts. When we switched, and had the red on the coil, and black on the chassis, we had -6 volts. I'm not sure which would be the correct way to have it wired, as I have bypassed the ammeter and key temporarily.

Could it be something wrong with the points? It's a new distributor cap