Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 283 heads information needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Darin S Bernhardt, Jan 31, 2019.

1. I have recently made a purchase of a 283 rebuilt motor for a good price. I am wondering what to do with the heads it came with. I think they are a bad match. Any input is appreciated.

The heads it has on it are spec'd to have a 69 cc chamber which seems too big for what im reading and i want to know if its worth it to swap to the 305 or 461 heads. What kind of power am i going to be leaving behind without the change?

What i know about the motor

block 3737739
    heads 3774682
    I know it has a cam swap, unsure of details any further. Im assuming mild to moderate

I will be running an edelbrock rpm with a holley 465 cfm hp and stock manifolds.

2. Going to need a lot more information about the engine build.

3. Unfortunately don't have much else, it was an estate sale fresh rebuild with few details. Just a great deal and it ran and looked to be legit.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The heads appear to be 60-67 283-327 1.72 intake 1.50 exh. Good all around 283 head JMO. Not a performance head but a good street head for a mild 283. Lippy

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1.72 intakes and 70 cc combustion chambers but those were and are pretty popular heads for a mild 283.
    I think those are the casting numbers for the heads I had on the 307 I put in my son's 70 Chev pickup and with a performer intake and a 4 barrel and a Z28 cam that bugger ran pretty strong.
    It comes down to exactly what your plans for the engine are.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you could leave them on the engine and put it in a car and drive it around and see how you like it.

But yeah, are you trying to make a higher compression 283? or what?

7. Yes I was debating if the higher compression heads will help with just overall power enough to where I would notice. It is going with a sm420 in a 59 GMC pickup.

8. squirrel

squirrel

higher compression might be more prone to pinging, but probably won't make the truck noticeably faster.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

want a race car buy a race car. drive the 59 truck around and be happy

10. Haha I get it, but what's wrong with making the 283 happy?!?

11. Sounds like the larger cc Chambers aren't that big of a deal then. Thanks you.